ClubWRX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
subaru_crazy said:
oh please i was able to keep up with a bmw in my dads dodge caravan on the twisties, it doesn't mean squat, all i know the WRX gives me a thirl every time i drive it through the twisties, and yes the understeer was really evident with the stocker tires but pirelli nero zero pretty much took care of that.... yes the suspension is not the greatest but it will hold its own, its all in the driver i repeat its all in the driver!!!!!!!!!!! few other examples one of my girl friends bought a kia sorrento and she dirves like mad through the tiwisties you can hardly keep up with her in any car youre in, i mean come on its a KIA! :rolleyes: and its a SUV :eek3: then my other friend has a passat and he dirves like mad and my friend in BMW can't shake em either neither can I so in real world it comes down to how fearless and skill full a driver is, peroid. However the fun factor in any car i have driven so far just doesn't compare to the WRX.
I think you have been watching too much initial D. A good driver makes a huge difference, but a good driver cannot keep a car from being pushed past its limits. I good driver needs a good car, and a good car needs a good driver. Its a balance.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
878 Posts
yo vanilla said:
first of all, i don't see why everyone is getting all worked up over these two cars being compared. lol are you jealous, offended, or in denial that someone else makes a competant car to compete with your precious subarus? :rotfl:

lol anyway ( :p ) even though these cars are a few thousand apart in base price, they are still in the same class overall, especially considering a fully loaded 3 is $20K or more. the 3s is nice inside if you're a dashboard molesting type, and handles very well actually OMG it's only FWD :baaa: . realtime racing has been beating up on lots of rwd cars with their acuras for how many years now; yes there is a limit on how far a small fwd car can go before the limits of the drivetrain type are exceeded, but i promise most people will never find that limit (as it is alot higher than most realize or admit).

</rant>

just wait until a mazdaspeed 3 comes around; it ought to have the handling prowess of the MP3 along with power levels equal to the wrx, and who knows it may even come as an awd car. it would be equal or maybe even better in price to hte wrx, with more warranty that will be much less likely to be voided at the slightes inclination ;) .

You my friend is the one who is the troll if i may quote you on it!!! Look at your post, and the reason why I bring up your count is becasue i have been noticing that a lot of idiots have joined this forum, and start these flame wars, and its getting stupid! I am considering this thread as closed and will not post on this thread any more becasue its just plain childish to biceker with you. Just becasue you worked on some cars doesn't mean I didn't. I also driven alot of cars FWD, RWD, AWD and own an audi A4 front track, as well as the WRX. Have a nice day! :sadwave:

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
jeeeeeeeeezus people...the Mazda3 is a good car like i said b4 if you are looking for a commuter box with some perks. If you are in any way a fan of performance then you will not be satisfied with the Mazda3, hence you will want to look for something more worthy of your need to drive "spirited." This is where the WRX comes into play...or the EVO...or the STi...or a Porsche...:drool:...

The whole argument above is retarded. You give me a Porsche 911 and Micheal Shumacher a dodge caravan and I would hope my lap times would be a second or two faster. You give us the same car and well his lap times will be 900000000000000000 seconds faster. Your friend in the KIA sorrento is retarded for driving like that in a KIA sorrento, as is anybody who drives in a fast manner in a car that is not built to do it. :baaa:

·
1,216 Posts
Before the thread gets locked, I wanted to chime in on the Mazda 3 vs WRX debate (rather than the flamefest). I actually convinced a friend of mine to get a Mazda 3 a few months ago. I drive my WRX and the 3 pretty much every day. The 3 he got is the 2.3L sport package, with the 17s. The 3 is a GREAT car. It handles VERY well with the 17s, and doesn't have anywhere near as much body roll as a stock WRX. However, the power is not in the same league as a WRX. Up fairly steep hills, the 3 just doesn't have the steam. It's also a fairly harsh ride on the 17s, but it handles damn damn well.

My issues with the 3 though are numerous. It's a great car but the driving position needs work. I find the WRX to be a much more comfortable ride. The seats are much more comfy and hold you in. For some reason, visibility around the 3 is VERY limited. It's very awkward to check blind spots etc, whereas the WRX feels very 'open' by comparison.

They really are VERY different cars. I don't know why they're being compared.

Anyway, last note: the blue/red dash kicks ass in the 3. :)

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
WilliamG said:
Anyway, last note: the blue/red dash kicks ass in the 3. :)
although i can't agree with you on the handling aspect...maybe it has been too long since i have driven a stock wrx...but i do agree that the interior in the mazda3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the spartan wrx...although the 05 wrx's are a huge improvement over the 03's and the 04's.

·
1,216 Posts
tacomaboy138 said:
although i can't agree with you on the handling aspect...maybe it has been too long since i have driven a stock wrx...but i do agree that the interior in the mazda3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the spartan wrx...although the 05 wrx's are a huge improvement over the 03's and the 04's.
Note I did say that there's less body roll. The WRX definitely handles being driven to the limit better!

Also, the 2005 WRXs aren't a huge improvement at all from what I saw. I LOVE the pop-out cup holder (though some people complain about it) and I've never had a problem with it. I also MUCH prefer the 02/03 seats. The 04/05 and STi seats are absolutely atrocious and I fall out of them all the time.

Anyway..... :thumbdown to the 04/05 WRX/STi seats.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
really? you didn't like the STi seats? are you a particularly small person? I seem to feel more secure in them than in the 03 seats that i have...i think that the bolsters on the sides help hold my back ((i rock climb so my back is particularly large) and hips (34" waist) in place better than the 03 wrx seats.

i think that the body roll observation is prob correct...like i said i haven't driven a stock suspension wrx in a long time so i have prob forgotten what it feels like. however, i also think that the 17" rims with the "performance" tires also help in the handling equation considering the stock wrx still comes with those godforsaken RE92's (which btw contribute quite a lot to the rolling feeling because the tire wall folds so easily).

WilliamG this is exactly the conversation this thread needed to prevent it from getting locked up. Thanks.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I agree with the sentiment about '04-'05 seats. My '02's don't look as nice, but they hold my 30" waste in place nicely. ;)

Edited for stupidity...

·
1,216 Posts
tacomaboy138 said:
really? you didn't like the STi seats? are you a particularly small person? I seem to feel more secure in them than in the 03 seats that i have...i think that the bolsters on the sides help hold my back ((i rock climb so my back is particularly large) and hips (34" waist) in place better than the 03 wrx seats.

i think that the body roll observation is prob correct...like i said i haven't driven a stock suspension wrx in a long time so i have prob forgotten what it feels like. however, i also think that the 17" rims with the "performance" tires also help in the handling equation considering the stock wrx still comes with those godforsaken RE92's (which btw contribute quite a lot to the rolling feeling because the tire wall folds so easily). .
I'm still using the RE92s actually, 32,500 miles on them to be precise. :D

I'm not a small person (6'5") but I'm slim, so this might be why. My buddies in the UK joke that the STi was made for fat racers, since the seats are so wide and don't hold thin people in as well as the 02/03 WRXs do. :D

Again, it's all down to personal choice, but I've hardly sat in a car with as fantastic a seat as the 2002/2003 WRX (and now there is no bias here - the STi seats are one of the (several) things that put me off buying it!)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
MidKnight said:
LOL
As someone who owns a wrx I wish I could agree with this. I owned a Mazda MP3 before my wrx and to this day I still don't get the same handling from my car as I did with the mazda. FWD or not, the car is sure-footed and handles like it's on rails. My buddy who has a Mazda3 can keep up with me through most curvy sections of road where I can't really give it enough gas to pull away. Given the amount of $$ I've spent on my suspension mods so far, I find that pretty remarkable. Granted, in certain situations, AWD does incredible things, but the suspension on the mazda is built specifically for tarmac whereas the WRX suspension is built as a compromise to allow for a greater range of use.

Just for arguement's sake:
Road & Track 700ft Slalom - wrx: 62.8mph Mazda3: 65.2mph STi: 68.4mph
Motortrend Slalom - wrx: 61mph Mazda3: 68mph
Car and Driver Skidpad - wrx: .81g Mazda3: .87g

everybody, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take it easy on me. i understand that i've acted like a fanboi jacka$$ in the past, but how can i not respond to this thread?

i'm going to summarize the key points extremely quickly:

- i don't understand how you guys are saying they're almost the same price. i did a direct trade-in for my 60K mile WRX, and only needed $4K more to come out with a clear title. the Mazda 3 is an economy car, the WRX is not. economy cars don't start at $23K.

- as Midknight pointed out, the Mazda 3 is a wonderful handler. i desperately needed to save some money, and the Mazda 3's tight, nimble handling, excellent steering feel, and glorious gearbox saved me from driving a penalty box. words like "pitiful", "glorified Ford" etc etc are extremely ignorant ways to describe the 3.

- it's slow as hell. that's an extremely accurate way to describe the 3. i LOVE this car, and let me tell you that i honestly think the 160hp is still overrated. i've stopped trying to pass people. it's slow, slow, slow.

- for those of you asking, "how can you even compare the two?", well, Midknight just did. let me be one of the many to proclaim AWD > FWD when it comes to performance, but like i've stated in the past, you can still have a fun-to-drive FWD car. with 150 lb-ft, i'm not expecting torque steer any time soon.

conclusion: i needed a car that was cheap to insure, cheap to gas up, practical, and fun to drive. and i got one.

·
48,699 Posts
A couple of points:

1)This thread has been inactive for 1-1/2 years.

2)I really think it's time to create a new subforum: Luc's Fanboi FWD Discussions.

:p :p

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
A couple of points:

1)This thread has been inactive for 1-1/2 years.

2)I really think it's time to create a new subforum: Luc's Fanboi FWD Discussions.

:p :p
1) :redface:

2) thank you for taking it easy and being lighthearted. there is no black without white, no yin without yang :cool:

·
48,699 Posts
AngelBoy said:
1) :redface:

2) thank you for taking it easy and being lighthearted. there is no black without white, no yin without yang :cool:
Like water, Luc....like water.

I think the 3's a great car for it's intended purpose. I just recommended one to a coworker who was asking my advice about smaller sporty hatches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Ended up buying a Saab 9-2x

Just to update on my decision, one year ago I ended up buying a Saab 9-2x Aero stick (the 2.0L turbo very much like the WRX). Saab/GM were offering huge rebates, amounting to $8500 off MSRP, so at the time it was less than the WRX and just ~$1k more than the Mazda 3. The decision was a no-brainer and I'm loving it.

·
48,699 Posts
kitab said:
Just to update on my decision, one year ago I ended up buying a Saab 9-2x Aero stick (the 2.0L turbo very much like the WRX). Saab/GM were offering huge rebates, amounting to $8500 off MSRP, so at the time it was less than the WRX and just ~$1k more than the Mazda 3. The decision was a no-brainer and I'm loving it.
Sounds like a good call. I don't think that the 2.0 turbo is "very much" like the WRX's, I think it practically IS the WRX's.

·
Registered
633 Posts
dugrant153 said:
In Canada, a fully loaded Mazda 3 (leather, etc.) is about $7000 CDN cheaper than a WRX.
That's like what....5 bucks American?

:tongue:

61 - 80 of 88 Posts