ClubWRX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
humara said:
please tell me your wrx has neither flames nor rims nor flaming rims. please.
:rotfl:
I was tempted to say something when he first posted his flaming 3, but decided against it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
DTR rex said:
a lot of what they said on that board was wrong. But they dont drive wrx's so you have to expect them to be moderatly uninformed. If you like the 3-s go for it man... its a nice car and that not a bad price for a fully loaded car with moonroof, leather, etc... Not to mention there are a few pretty cheap turbo kits in the making for the mazd3
yeah, they seem kinda misinformed about the rex. i m fairly sure the wrx is just as safe if not safer than the 3. at least we have the ability to avoid some accidents before they even happen. they think the suby may be unreliable but if you turbo up the 3, then you are voiding warranty. but nonetheless, two fun cars. cant go wrong with either. all depends if you are a comfort guy with moderate spirited driving urges or a no frill high perf car kinda guy.

i like how the person with the evo is like the only one that voted for awd. the 3 guys just havent got their shoes wet in awd world.

·
Registered
397 Posts
sorry but there is no cheap turbos in progress right now...you will have to swap your left nut for one...the hiboost kit starts at 4,000. sorry that is too much. if youre planning to put a turbo on a 3 might as well buy a wrx for the money after upgrades!

·
48,699 Posts
I usually regard that logic as a sign of desperate ignorance, anyway.

"Man, that WRX sucks...it costs 3000 more...just slap a huge brandx turbo on the 3 and it'll kick that thing's butt!!111!!!..."

<sigh> :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I drove my mom's EDM Focus which the Mazda3 is based on and it outhandles a WRX wagon easily. I was very impressed with the handling of the Focus and I'm sure they improved it for the mazda, but then again, they usually dumb cars down, ie, make them softer, for the american market. Of course this was in the summer so when the snow comes, different story but not everyone of us lives in the snow. Also, the wrx prob has more aftermarket suspension mods to equal the focus, sorry, mazda, but then how much money have been spent?

·
Registered
878 Posts
camino cielo said:
drove my mom's EDM Focus which the Mazda3 is based on and it outhandles a WRX wagon easily. I was very impressed with the handling of the Focus and I'm sure they improved it for the mazda, but then again, they usually dumb cars down, ie, make them softer, for the american market. Of course this was in the summer so when the snow comes, different story but not everyone of us lives in the snow. Also, the wrx prob has more aftermarket suspension mods to equal the focus, sorry, mazda, but then how much money have been spent?

before i get into this i want to know what is your base for that opinion, did you drive a WRX as well? becasue I didn't drive a focus but drove many FWD cars, and i don't see how stock for stock it can out handle the WRX wagon or not. I have the wagon and I got compliments from friends who drive BMWs on the handeling. The only thing is, the focus is propably more nimble becasue its smaller and it gives you that feeling but when it comes to pushing the limits i think AWD will own FWD any day, dry or wet pavement.

·
48,699 Posts
Yeah, there's an important distinction to be made between "nimble" and "good handler". There are MANY small cars out there that are more nimble on tight city streets than a stock WRX. Take it up to speed, though, and the situation changes. (Especially with a simple tire change on the WRX...)

·
Registered
878 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
Yeah, there's an important distinction to be made between "nimble" and "good handler". There are MANY small cars out there that are more nimble on tight city streets than a stock WRX. Take it up to speed, though, and the situation changes. (Especially with a simple tire change on the WRX...)
Exactly and not only that, learn how to handle the car as well. If you driven a RWD or a FWD and then you get into the WRX you are not going to do the right things at the right times and you are going to drive like crap and then say that the car doesn't handle, its all in the driver my friend (camino cielo). :) P.S. as you can see I am into handeling more then into speed, and you can drive the WRX sloppy or like a champ by simply keeping it on the throttle or not. If you go into a turn and don't modulate the throttle propperly you will get your self hurt, but do it correctly and you blast though it without a problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I driven the WRX wagon a couple of times (the sedan too which handled much better) and when i pick up the pace on a curvy road i just get dissapointed with the understeer and that's what kept me from buying it, then again, a simple thing like adjusting tirepressures can change it a little bit. The Focus however impressed me a lot. Remember though that EDM and ADM Focuses have totally different setups. I used to race motorbikes, both offroad and on track so i have a fair bit of experience of handling evaluations.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
subaru_crazy said:
before i get into this i want to know what is your base for that opinion, did you drive a WRX as well? becasue I didn't drive a focus but drove many FWD cars, and i don't see how stock for stock it can out handle the WRX wagon or not. I have the wagon and I got compliments from friends who drive BMWs on the handeling. The only thing is, the focus is propably more nimble becasue its smaller and it gives you that feeling but when it comes to pushing the limits i think AWD will own FWD any day, dry or wet pavement.
LOL
As someone who owns a wrx I wish I could agree with this. I owned a Mazda MP3 before my wrx and to this day I still don't get the same handling from my car as I did with the mazda. FWD or not, the car is sure-footed and handles like it's on rails. My buddy who has a Mazda3 can keep up with me through most curvy sections of road where I can't really give it enough gas to pull away. Given the amount of $$ I've spent on my suspension mods so far, I find that pretty remarkable. Granted, in certain situations, AWD does incredible things, but the suspension on the mazda is built specifically for tarmac whereas the WRX suspension is built as a compromise to allow for a greater range of use.

Just for arguement's sake:
Road & Track 700ft Slalom - wrx: 62.8mph Mazda3: 65.2mph STi: 68.4mph
Motortrend Slalom - wrx: 61mph Mazda3: 68mph
Car and Driver Skidpad - wrx: .81g Mazda3: .87g

·
Registered
0 Posts
first of all, i don't see why everyone is getting all worked up over these two cars being compared. lol are you jealous, offended, or in denial that someone else makes a competant car to compete with your precious subarus? :rotfl:

lol anyway ( :p ) even though these cars are a few thousand apart in base price, they are still in the same class overall, especially considering a fully loaded 3 is $20K or more. the 3s is nice inside if you're a dashboard molesting type, and handles very well actually OMG it's only FWD :baaa: . realtime racing has been beating up on lots of rwd cars with their acuras for how many years now; yes there is a limit on how far a small fwd car can go before the limits of the drivetrain type are exceeded, but i promise most people will never find that limit (as it is alot higher than most realize or admit).

</rant>

just wait until a mazdaspeed 3 comes around; it ought to have the handling prowess of the MP3 along with power levels equal to the wrx, and who knows it may even come as an awd car. it would be equal or maybe even better in price to hte wrx, with more warranty that will be much less likely to be voided at the slightes inclination ;) .

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
yo vanilla said:
first of all, i don't see why everyone is getting all worked up over these two cars being compared. lol are you jealous, offended, or in denial that someone else makes a competant car to compete with your precious subarus? :rotfl:

lol anyway ( :p ) even though these cars are a few thousand apart in base price, they are still in the same class overall, especially considering a fully loaded 3 is $20K or more. the 3s is nice inside if you're a dashboard molesting type, and handles very well actually OMG it's only FWD :baaa: . realtime racing has been beating up on lots of rwd cars with their acuras for how many years now; yes there is a limit on how far a small fwd car can go before the limits of the drivetrain type are exceeded, but i promise most people will never find that limit (as it is alot higher than most realize or admit).

</rant>

just wait until a mazdaspeed 3 comes around; it ought to have the handling prowess of the MP3 along with power levels equal to the wrx, and who knows it may even come as an awd car. it would be equal or maybe even better in price to hte wrx, with more warranty that will be much less likely to be voided at the slightes inclination ;) .

MazdaSpeed does make some pretty nice cars. I still feel they are lacking what they should have in the power area. I can't wait till the 3 comes out, just hope it has more than 200 HP, but the way Mazda slaps on the small turbos and low boost, I doubt it will be over that. What they need to do is put the MazdaSpeed 6 powertrain in the 3 hatch... 276 HP AWD turbo... can you say R32 killer? ;)

·
Registered
878 Posts
oh please i was able to keep up with a bmw in my dads dodge caravan on the twisties, it doesn't mean squat, all i know the WRX gives me a thirl every time i drive it through the twisties, and yes the understeer was really evident with the stocker tires but pirelli nero zero pretty much took care of that.... yes the suspension is not the greatest but it will hold its own, its all in the driver i repeat its all in the driver!!!!!!!!!!! few other examples one of my girl friends bought a kia sorrento and she dirves like mad through the tiwisties you can hardly keep up with her in any car youre in, i mean come on its a KIA! :rolleyes: and its a SUV :eek3: then my other friend has a passat and he dirves like mad and my friend in BMW can't shake em either neither can I so in real world it comes down to how fearless and skill full a driver is, peroid. However the fun factor in any car i have driven so far just doesn't compare to the WRX.

·
48,699 Posts
subaru_crazy said:
so in real world it comes down to how fearless and skill full a driver is, peroid.
So you think that all cars have the same capabilities? That's goofy. Of course driver skill and courage are a large part of the equation, but it's kind of ridiculous to say that handling wise, you + Dodge Caravan = BMW. ;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
subaru_crazy said:
oh please i was able to keep up with a bmw in my dads dodge caravan on the twisties, it doesn't mean squat, all i know the WRX gives me a thirl every time i drive it through the twisties, and yes the understeer was really evident with the stocker tires but pirelli nero zero pretty much took care of that.... yes the suspension is not the greatest but it will hold its own, its all in the driver i repeat its all in the driver!!!!!!!!!!! few other examples one of my girl friends bought a kia sorrento and she dirves like mad through the tiwisties you can hardly keep up with her in any car youre in, i mean come on its a KIA! :rolleyes: and its a SUV :eek3: then my other friend has a passat and he dirves like mad and my friend in BMW can't shake em either neither can I so in real world it comes down to how fearless and skill full a driver is, peroid. However the fun factor in any car i have driven so far just doesn't compare to the WRX.
LOL this has to be a troll post. you say it's all the driver but you imply that the bmw can't outrun a caravan in "teh twizteez". driver is a very important part of the equation, yes, but it is not "all" in the driver. what you've described is a situation that sets the limits low enough that the front heavy passat and the kia suv don't get overworked (must be a fairly slow course lol) and also the bmw driver wasn't so skilled, or he really wasn't pushing it. i'm not a bad shoe, put me in that same bmtroubleyoo and i'll run a circle around your sorento :rotfl: btw fearless doesn't mean much; i've known many "fearless" drivers run their cars right off the road because they thought the had the skills of a 10ft bulletproof andretti :p

·
Registered
878 Posts
this has to be a troll post ?????? what are you talking about??? look at your post count and then look at mine???? first of all not all drivers are created equal, and yes you can be fearless but also stupid, and if you are good enough you can still outrun a better car, I have based my opinion on real facts not on some track in a magazine 1 run result, so believe whatever you want, period.

·
Registered
0 Posts
look at your post count lol like that has any bearing whatsoever. tell you what, if you want to play that game, i've worked with 9 different lines of cars, 7 of which were european luxury makes including yes, bmw. i've driven most every car within reasonable reach to the upper class of the buying public. i don't have a big head or anything but yeah, i have a pretty good handle on what's what kthnx :) i've also been a member of various interweb forums for the last 6 or so years, just not this one, lol like that makes any real world difference :rolleyes:

ok, so you were being serious. you described a situation in which a driver of one car was either more skilled or more daring than the driver of another car, and then gave us the conclusion that the cars themselves have no bearing whatsoever on ANY situation, not just your one situation because "this guy beat that guy and then i beat him too but his car is "supposed" to be better". :confused1 put equal drivers in the cars and tell me that the sorento will still outrun the bmw, as your bmw friend obviously has no idea how to pilot the thing.

</threadjack> back to your regularily scheduled wrx vs 3 debate :thumbup:

41 - 60 of 88 Posts