Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I figured the guy would kill me, and my friend in the back seat confirmed that I would lose after seeing the M badge and dual exhaust. First off, my mods are, EBC @ 15psi, Vishnu up-pipe, and intake mod.
So, me, my girl, and my BMW loving friend are on our way to the bar and as we are getting on the freeway, I see the coupe right next to me. The guy must have seen me or something, and his right foot got a little heavier and he started bobbin and weavin through traffic at about 90. He got about half a mile ahead of me, and I eventually caught up. So there is about a mile of empty 3 lane freeway ahead of him, and hes cruisin at about 75 as I pull next to him, Nate in the back seat says, "hes gonna burn ya", and i say "yeah, but it will be fun". I got right next to him, and his girl in the passenger seat has this grin on her face, and she keeps eye-ballin the Rex, and he's lookin over too. I hit fourth, and punch it, he punches it, and I am pulling from him!!! We go to about 100, and I slow down because I have already pulled about 2 car lengths on him, and he goes flyin by, Nate was like "What the F***, that cant be an M power, or he wasnt trying". So, I caught up to him again, and there are a few cars ahead of us, i hit the slow lane, hes in the fast lane, a slow moving Daewoo in the middle lane, he passes the Dae, hits the middle lane, I'm right on his arse, and i pull next to him and his old lady is laughin, and he just has this look as he glances over at me as I pass him again. I had to hit the next exit and I waited for him to get next to me and i rolled down my window and as he went by, he shook his head, pointed at my car, and gave me a thumbs up, and was on his way, all in all a good kill. I think nate wants a REX!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great Kill!

That's what I like to hear.....

Was it a 3 series? 5 series? I imagine it wasn't the newest M3 with 340 HP.....right?

But cool!

Keep it up!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it was one of those weird looking hatchback type M powered coupes, with a long hood and no trunk. pretty phat lookin, nice wheels and all that jazz, I mean hey, its a bimmer!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
THe M coupe is actaully the Hatchback that came out a few years back after the Z3s came out. And yes, it does have the same engine as the previous M3 whlie the body is much lighter. Those things are fast but they're not THAT FAST. It didnt' surprise me how you beat him becuase the mods you have should give you about 240 horses, but then again you had 2 other people in the car and that does make a difference. Anyways, great job on the kill.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
have you dyno'd the car yet? is it more than 240? i was guessing 260 or so...

sounds like a fun kill.

another note, a lot of those m roadsters are autos, so he could have been at the mercy of a less able transmission.

nice kill, those are the ones that made me buy this thing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wow that was one of the longer posts in this forum in a...well actually I haven't seen one that long yet. Our newest member gives us the longest post!. But I digress, that was a nice kill. I wonder whether the guy was punching it or not. I know some people won't downshift and they'll just hit the gas in the gear that they're in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I havent dynoed the car yet, we had one day here awhile back where some i-clubbers had access to a four wheel dyno, but it was before I had any mods, and it was pretty expensive. One guy started out stock in the rex, did a run, then did the do it yourself intake mod, did another run, then put in the boost controller set at like 15 I think, and maybe even a turbo back exhaust eventually, but it was fun to watch the hp go up after every mod. The up-pipe added alot of all around power, and pretty much got rid of most of the turbo lag, very nice!!! Anywho, I think after the first time I took him, the second time I figured he would want to get a little revenge, but I still pulled pretty hard, I figure it was an auto though, I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt, like I said, Its a Bimmer, and an M at that!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great kill. However I just turned in my 99 M Coupe and got a WRX. The REX is fast, but the M coupe is damn fast. O-60 in 5.2 seconds, and torque to burn with no turbo lag. Your car is modded so I can't speak for it. But I had the M coupe for 2 1/2 years, and about the only thing that was faster (stock) was a corvette or 911 turbo. The car had a great torque curve and power to spare often without the need to downshift. Also, I have never seen an M coupe with an automatic, I don't think they make one with an auto. There is the 2.8 liter version which might have an auto, but I don't think the M version is made with one. So that makes your kill even more impressive!

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: WRX44 ]

·
Registered
68 Posts
before I went ballistic on my Rex, I had only minor mods, such as: exhaust, air filter, cold air intake, boost controller set at 16.5 psi, waterspray on intercooler. With these mods, I had a race with an M Roadster (same thing) and I beat it quite easily by about 4 car lengths, and I didn't even dump the clutch because it was stock and I didn't want to burn it. We raced to about 170km/h (about 105mph).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts