Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone. Sorry about another comparison....but this one's different. I know a WRX is faster than an IS300 so don't worry. Anyways.....I know that the WRX handles very well....and so does the IS300. In your opinion which is the better handler? I'll throw in a BMW 330i for the fun of it. I figured since you guys are always very mature and recognize the positives of other cars....u'd be able to give me a decently non-bias opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i read a magazine recently, cant remember the name of it, but i saw it at borders. they did a test between AWD(WRX), FWD(RSX-S), and RWD(330i) with DSC on and off on a track. I can't remember what the results were exactly, but the WRX beat them both by more than a second on wet and dry conditions. I don't exactly know about the IS300. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
932 Posts
DoK works said:
i read a magazine recently, cant remember the name of it, but i saw it at borders. they did a test between AWD(WRX), FWD(RSX-S), and RWD(330i) with DSC on and off on a track. I can't remember what the results were exactly, but the WRX beat them both by more than a second on wet and dry conditions. I don't exactly know about the IS300. Hope this helps.
I posted about this article here:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11193

The 330 came in last.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya i read that article too.....it was in GRASSROOTS RACING....or something like that. Good point made. One of the reasons i brought this up....is cuz i go to all different types of forums.....and one of them (IS300.NET) always brags about how their car is a better handler than the WRX. But now that i've ridden in both of them at least once, and driven an IS300, it's hard to believe that the IS is such a better handler as they put it, if at all. From what i've read the WRX usually comes out ahead, but i've never seen an actual comparison test between the two...or 3 including the BMW. I think it'd be interesting.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't you find it odd that when a car owner (or group of car owners) know they are overmatched in terms of power they resort to saying "Oh yeah, my car handles better than yours.." or "Yeah, but I'd take him in the twisties.."

I've seen it a million times on the honda boards, and I do see it every once in awhile here in regard to f bodies, etc. I think it's lame, that's all.

Carry on. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree to a certain extent with what you said Jim. While handling isn't the only thing to take into consideration when looking at performance, neither is power. So if someone agrees that their car isn't as fast as another, but they take pride in the fact that it handles very well....I take that as a self-aware car enthusiast so to speak. But in the case that you seem to be making.....I would have to agree that it's lame, cuz most people aren't gonna race on a windy road....drag racing is what most people do on the streets. As long as someone knows what their car is capable of, I respect their opinions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anyone else find it strange that all the wet times are faster than the dry times.
Should I start racing in the rain.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
For spirited street driving (I haven't auto-x'ed yet) my stock IS300 WAY outhandled my stock WRX. (I had a '01 SBM IS300 with factory 17" wheels).

Once I got rid of my slip-n-slide RE92's and threw the H&R springs on my WRX - it's a better handler than the IS300 hands down... In fact the WRX with new tires and springs is the best handling car I've had the pleasure of owning. It beats out my '89 Mustang LX 5.0, '90 Talon TSi AWD, '94 Mustang GT (with a host of suspension goodies), '94 Camaro Z28, '01 IS300...

Stock for stock the IS300 has crisper handling. It also rode VERY stiff compared to my stock WRX (and in fact rode as stiff as my WRX does on the Falken Azenis and H&R springs)...

My personal experience...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
BTW - just for reference in the power department my WRX was over 1-full second quicker in the 1/4 mile than my IS300 was...

The only things I miss about my IS300 are the "L" emblem :D and the fit/finish... Maybe the headlights, just a little. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
IMO: I think hadeling wise it depends on your driveing style. Or in other words the style you favor. From what I can see, my WRX is more of a road-holding car. It seems to hold the road with a death grip but gives understeer when you break loose. In the IS it's more like a drift machine (manual trsn.) You come in hard in a corner and the rear starts to swing out and then you counter it exiting on a turn (oversterring). Wich is kinda fun.

So it depends what you are confortable with. Also the WRX seems to demand confidence in you in order to make it perfom, this is why i love it so much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I OWN both a '02 330i Sport, and a '03 WRX. Both cars are stock, with the 330i having the optional 18" wheels and tires (same sizes as the M3).

First, you must note that the 330i is a much slower car than the WRX, acceleration-wise. This is exactly why you can't compare lap times to determine handling. So all you WRX fanboys can't use laptimes to tout better handling - it just isn't comparing apples to apples. Even if the WRX was way worse handling, it would still beat the 330i because it's faster in the straights.

The 330i is the better handling car, period. The steering is ultra precise, the balance is excellent, and the communication from road to driver is great. The WRX is a good deal faster, and might even be able to slide through the corners quicker, but that doesn't mean it "handles" better. Handling is more than just outright speed through bends in the road. It is comprised of several subjective qualities that can't be tested.

Some of you might remember a few months ago when Road and Track (could have been C&D?) did a ten car comparo of the best handling cars in the world. No WRX was included, while there was an M3, a Porsche 911TT and Boxter S, a Lotus, a Lancer EVO VII, and a Vette. This should tell you something. This is from a mag with national coverage and a huge subscription base, unlike "Grassroots".

I'm not ragging on the WRX - it's a fantastic car, and that's why I have one. If the pavement is anything but dry, the WRX is the best handling of that group. The two RWD cars will be struggling for traction and trying to cope with oversteer while the WRX driver can just throttle through the turns.

When I had just the 330i, I accepted its weaknesses. I also knew that it wasn't BMW's intention to make it a drag car. I had to do the same thing with the WRX. It wasn't Subaru's intention to make the best handling car on the road. They made some compromises in order to get want they did want, which was a rally car for the street.

Both cars are excellent vehicles; they're just aimed at different purposes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not here to say that you're wrong JRod, seeing as u have more experience in both of these cars since u own them.....but it seems to me that the WRX isn't much faster then a BMW 330i coming out of a corner due to it's power advantage, rather it's ability to power out of the corner earlier and harder. Thanks to it's AWD I guess, as others I'm sure would argue. From what I understand and from what I've read....AWD is really awesome getting the power to the ground coming out of a turn and from a dead stop. Going back to powering out of a turn though....the ability to put more power to the wheels sooner at the exit of a corner to me seems like it will handle better....cuz to me if someone took a turn the same speed as me coming in....but had to wait longer to put the power back on....I feel that my car "handled" the turn better. Again, I'm no expert, so I could be way off on these. U look at the power ratings for the two cars....WRX: 227 hp...217 lb.-ft.....BMW: 225 hp.....215 lb.-ft?. Anyways, just my opinion. Like I said, I may be way wrong. And I personally don't feel that having better feedback accounts to a better handling car...it just helps the driver know what's going on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, by the way....I feel that if a car is able to take a turn faster than another car with similar power levels....than it should be considered a better handler on a race course. If u take it to the streets this might not be as meaningful due to the fact that the car quicker through the turn might just have more grip.....enabling it to simply drive faster through the turn. But I don't think u can sit there and say "My car is a better handler even though he went through the turns faster than I did" if that car has similar power ratings and weight. I don't see how u can justify that kind of statement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, the BMW 330i never does good in magazines when you put it up against other cars. It may not handle quite as well as a WRX but it's a different experience. Having the chance to drive a 330Ci, it doesn't handle quite as well as a WRX, but BMW makes their cars FEEL so damn good. They are so solid and predictable. The car just feels so strong. Then again, if you aren't satisfied with the restults of the e46, strap yourself into a e36 M3. At the time it was built, it was named best handling car in the world over $40,000. It outhandles Vipers, NSX's, Porsche, Ferrari, you name it. It outhandles cars more than 2X it's price. Oh yea, it will absolutley run circles around a WRX :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's cool....I see what you mean. While the BMW may not be quite as fast around a track, I'm sure the owners of the BMW are smiling ear to ear anyways, cuz they're just such nice cars overall. Same with the IS300. Not the fastest or best handling car for the money I think, but definitely a good car in any perspective. So again, I think it all comes down to personal opinions. Anyone into the new Infiniti G35?

·
Registered
499 Posts
G35? It had my attention for awhile. The sporty version has some potential I think. Brembos from factory, a souped up engine(the one currently in the Altima). I test drive an Altima, and that engine is sweet, but the chassis was a disappiontment. Brake were rubbery and the shifter felt like a wet noodle. I would think these issure would be addressed in the Infiniti lineup tho.

Its really a different target the folks at Infiniti are are aimng at with the G35, its aimed squarley at the folks that buy low-end Lexuses(Lexi?), and larger luxo-cruisers. Its a bigish car, and is not nimble. I was hoping for a not to badly neutered Skyline to make its way to the states, but the G35 is NOT in that vein. Nissan is putting its sports car hopes in the 350Z, and letting a large market segment languish buy not addressing the mid level sport enthusiasts. Subaru is making a KILLING with the WRX, you'd think the other Asian companies would see this and quickly retrofit some venerable sporty rides for the american shores.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hum.. lot of discussions about wet and dry (4 WRX vs IS300) but didn't find comments about snow. :confused:

Yes, up North we get lots of it. Sorry for the IS300 but it's a lot more comfortable hibernating through it. :(

How can I comment this ??? my friend has got one and doesn't matter what tires he puts on it he just can't get it to behave. :mad:

·
Registered
0 Posts
The road and track mag you were talking about with the evo, m3, lotus, ferrari 360 etc, was a great read. It actually helps to show the AWD superiority on the track even in the dy. Look at it this way you have a four door sedan(evo) beating a 360 around the track and almost all the other cars, thats why at the end they rated it i think #3 for use as a track car. Its a freaking four door sedan, now if that doesnt convince you of how AWD dominates RWD then i dont know what will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts