Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this might sound like im full of s#it but this is what happened.

I was driving down route 3, good road lots of straitaways, and i see a 2002 vette up ahead. I decide to weave through some traffic and catch up just to take a look at it. Right then I think he saw me and started trying to weave though traffic, which takes skill with a big car like that, and i follow. We both were in the middle lane, then he switches to the fast lane with an open road in front of him, but he doesnt gun it. Instead he went slow and tried to box me because there was traffic in the middle lane. Anyway i managed to get behind him again, then he switches to the middle lane again. He came up next to me, looked over and revved his engine. Now that was pretty bad because theres nothing scarier then a pissed off vette (especially with a stock wrx). Right then there was an opening in the fast lane and i just knew he was daring me to go for it, so I dropped it to 3rd, floored it and managed to box him in the middle lane. At this point i was doing about 105. After that i just kept going and i dont think he followed.

Now i know theres no chance in hell i would ever beat a vette on a straitaway, but i think i just had the advantage because i had the smaller car. He also probably had no clue what the hell i was driving and wouldnt think i could speed up that fast (surprising people is half the fun with a wrx). Anyway it was fun but i wouldnt suggest racing one on any type of straitaway.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Corvette's aren't as big as you think, but that's beside the point. :)

I'm not surprised that you surprised him, though - the WRX has a lot more get up and go then the average person might think. :D Now that I've test driven one I'm gonna be sure and not let a WRX surprise me. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey man.. This is what gives street racing a bad name!! Putting others in danger on the highways cutting through traffic. It is one thing to street race out away from everyone where it is safe, but use some sense man!

·
Registered
59 Posts
LIL SS said:
Hey man.. This is what gives street racing a bad name!! Putting others in danger on the highways cutting through traffic. It is one thing to street race out away from everyone where it is safe, but use some sense man!
I agree that it aint bright, but tell me you didn't do some silly things when you were younger? I know I did. :eek: :)

Note: To be clear - I no longer do silly things! :p :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes true it is pretty stupid. But i am very careful when i change lanes and never got into an accident.;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I thought all corvette are RWD, how did u get the FWHP estimated ? just curious, typo perhaps ?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i think this came up in another post recently also, but when he says FWHP he means FlyWheel HorsePower. Maybe a clearer way of stating for the future would be to say 325 hp at the crank....
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wrinkleboi said:
i think this came up in another post recently also, but when he says FWHP he means FlyWheel HorsePower. Maybe a clearer way of stating for the future would be to say 325 hp at the crank....
o-|-<) bryan
Thanks for clarifying that one on my behalf. I guess I'm just used to hanging with the rear-wheel drivers, and am used to that terminology. I'll update my sig to be clearer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally, someone racing a car that could actually challenge a WRX. The Corvette is an incredible car, almost as good as the WRX I'd say! Okay, maybe a tiny bit better handling and a tiny bit better acceleration from a roll. Of course, add a bit of suspension work and an MBC and the WRX should be able to keep up quite nicely.

·
Registered
59 Posts
RSXSucks said:
Finally, someone racing a car that could actually challenge a WRX. The Corvette is an incredible car, almost as good as the WRX I'd say! Okay, maybe a tiny bit better handling and a tiny bit better acceleration from a roll. Of course, add a bit of suspension work and an MBC and the WRX should be able to keep up quite nicely.
Hmmm, that depends on the vette you are racing. It would take a lot of work to have a WRX keep up to a '02 Z06, in any department (except rallying ;) ).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I raced a blue ZO6.. It was close, for about... 15 feet :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ran a Z06 and had no problem moving 3-4 cars on the guy.. Helps if you start with close to what they are..

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
LIL SS,

So I guess your Z is a newer one, LS1?
What kind of mods do you have?
I'm impressed is your can pull 3-4 car lengths on a Z06.
I saw one run [email protected]+mph with only a CF K&N intake.

-Jim

LIL SS said:
I ran a Z06 and had no problem moving 3-4 cars on the guy.. Helps if you start with close to what they are..

·
Registered
26 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
LIL SS,

So I guess your Z is a newer one, LS1?
What kind of mods do you have?
I'm impressed is your can pull 3-4 car lengths on a Z06.
I saw one run [email protected]+mph with only a CF K&N intake.

-Jim

Actualy it's a 2001 SS.. Not much difference in performance than a Z though.. I have quite a bit done to it.

Go Fast goods:

K&N filter
Direct flow lid
Fast toys Ram Air
Granatelli MAF
MAF Translator
BBK Throttle body
AIT resistor (tricks the PCM to think it is 36*)
Cats removed
Cut out in the Y-pipe
NOS 5177 kit (Spraying a 125 dry shot)

Last time at the track I did not have the Fast Toys kit and was only at 800psi In the bottle with a 100 shot, trapped at 117.7X.. I'm thinking now, with the bottle at full pressure (1100psi) and the FTRA kit I should trap closer to 120mph..

I have also done some suspension work.. I want to put some slicks on the car and run sub 11.5 or so but I fear for my clutch and rear end.. I think I will wait until I buy those..

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Goddam, I'm impressed!!! :D

What were your ET's? All motor? With the NOS?

I always thought SS was just another package on top of the Z-28 package. Am I wrong?

This Z06 was not even broken in yet! With a little work, I'd wouldn't be at all surprised to see mid 11s.

They are a hell of a lot more money than an SS, tho!!!

-Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Goddam, I'm impressed!!! :D

What were your ET's? All motor? With the NOS?

I always thought SS was just another package on top of the Z-28 package. Am I wrong?

This Z06 was not even broken in yet! With a little work, I'd wouldn't be at all surprised to see mid 11s.

They are a hell of a lot more money than an SS, tho!!!

-Jim

Platinum,
You are correct that the SS is infact an upgrade option to the Z28.. If you were ordering a SS they do have to start with the base Z28.. I never did think of it that way though..

In regards to my 1/4 times. I don't mind mentioning them, but please keep this in mind. No one was hooking the day I went to the track. The big tire cars were only cutting 1.5X-1.6X 60 foot times. A buddy went with me who has a 66 Nova with 33-12.50 and was spinning through the 60 foot mark to a high 1.5X..

My motor run was a 13.9X at 108.4 with a 2.6x 60 foot (left at 1/2 throttle 2200 rpm)

N20 run was a 12.8x at 117.7x high 2.5x 60 foot (Left 1/2 throttle 1800 rpm)

When the car was 100% stock I ran at the same track and came home with a 13.32 @ 105.x 1.97 60ft..

I really need to do the rear, clutch and slicks.. For now I am putting some drag radials on order though.. A little cheaper even though I still won't run what I want.. After the rear and clutch, it will be heads and cam.

The goal is a 10 second, full weight, daily driven car.. (I have 36k miles on it and it isn't even 1 year old.. 4/18/01 was date of purchase)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
LIL SS,

NICE!

Sounds like the track needed a good cleaning and some fresh traction compound. That stuff wouldn't fly up here at Atco. Everybody would bitch. I'm sure if you get some runs with your 60ft. down around 2.0 (where it should be), you'll be laying down some freaking awesome times.

-Jim

1 - 20 of 37 Posts