Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought nobody knew what my car is, I start getting all kinds of challenges a kid with a 5.0 and now this kid that sounds like he knows his stuff with a Corrado VR6. How do we stack up against the Corrado? His freinds were saying that his supercharger pushes about 7Lbs boost, I didn't even know they were supercharged.

I really don't want to drag race, I'm working on a car that will turn quick lap times not trap times, but to defend Rex's honor I must;) .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Corrado VR6

They weren't SC'd from the factory. There was a Corrado G60 that had a 1.8/8v/SC'd though and stock ran about 12 psi IIRC. Since they said that his Corrado is pushing 7psi then it must be a VR6 with an aftermarket SC kit on it.

The VR6 in SC'd status would take you if they guy can get it to pull off the line without spinning too badly other wise it would be a catch up game running you down. If it's a G60 then don't even sweat it! I know because I used to have one up until last year. After a crap load of engine building and other stuff only managed to run 14.3 (which is quite fast for a street driven G60).

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
corrado = 3000 gt??? thats what im guessing but not sure. i know that a VR4 would probably beat the WRX, but what about the other models?

·
Registered
699 Posts
corrado = 3000 gt??? thats what im guessing but not sure. i know that a VR4 would probably beat the WRX, but what about the other models?
No it's not the same thing.

But it does sound like it's the vr6 if it's only running 7 lbs. I would be worried. Like boosted 4 said, if he can hook up he'll beat you, or should anyway. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
306 Posts
my friend just got a corrado vr6, manual tranny! his is a 92 and he could almost be certain he could be me. i have an auto tranny so :-(... well i took him for a ride for a few minutes in my car, and after getting out of my car, he tells me that my car is still faster than his. i wanna run it anyhow, but he is almost certain i will beat him now. we messed around to see trap speed at this one street, when i got to the other side, i was at about 71, he was at about 62...

anyhow, the corrados are sweet rides, and if they still made those cars, the design would have been awesome!

he just bought it and these are the mods it already has...
exhaust, cai, mt

mine: catback exhaust 3" and racing muffler. 4eat.

what do u all think? do i have a chance against him?

·
Registered
306 Posts
oh by the way, vr6's are not supercharged, but faster then the stock supercharged g60.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
PKer said:
Just when I thought nobody knew what my car is, I start getting all kinds of challenges a kid with a 5.0 and now this kid that sounds like he knows his stuff with a Corrado VR6. How do we stack up against the Corrado? His freinds were saying that his supercharger pushes about 7Lbs boost, I didn't even know they were supercharged.

I really don't want to drag race, I'm working on a car that will turn quick lap times not trap times, but to defend Rex's honor I must;) .
Stay away. If the owner can drive he'll eat your for breakfast. The Corrado VR6 was a low 14sec car stock.

-Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
FUNKED1 said:
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I grew up around VW's and know that the stock Corrado VR6 is a low 15 sec and not a 14 sec. In there time though, that was fairly quick.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
boosted 4 said:
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I grew up around VW's and know that the stock Corrado VR6 is a low 15 sec and not a 14 sec. In there time though, that was fairly quick.
I should clarify. The last generation (94-95) was DEFINITELY a 14 second car from the factory and a low 14s car with flow mods. I have raced them. They are not to be considered an unworthy foe.

-Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would have to disagree about the C. I think that they are great looking cars in person.

As far as the S/C goes, there are quite a few VR6's with aftermarket S/C out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
corrado vr6

boosted 4 said:

I was going to the nopi national i was following a couple of my friend to the track that day a black 94 corrado vr6 ran a 14.6 at 95
factory.and they are very fast on top end.

·
Registered
88 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

I should clarify. The last generation (94-95) was DEFINITELY a 14 second car from the factory and a low 14s car with flow mods. I have raced them. They are not to be considered an unworthy foe.

-Jim
FYI there wasn't a 95 in N.A. There were actually a few hundred Corrados for the 1995 build and they were all Euro. It was called the Storm, and like all of the Euro Corrado VR6's they had a 2.9L rather than the US spec 2.8L.

Performance wise, the only diff between the Corrado VR6 model years 92/93/94 was ignitions IIRC. The 92 had a dist and the 93 and 94 had a coil pack.

A friend of mine had a COMPLETELY stock 92 Corrado and on the dyno pulled 154whp. That isn't nearly enough to do low 14's. With cams and exhaust, etc the will put out nearly 200whp so that would put an all-motor VR6 in the low 14's.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
boosted 4 said:
A friend of mine had a COMPLETELY stock 92 Corrado and on the dyno pulled 154whp. That isn't nearly enough to do low 14's. With cams and exhaust, etc the will put out nearly 200whp so that would put an all-motor VR6 in the low 14's.
When was it dynoed? Look, I'm not here to argue with you about a VW. I've seen mildly (bolt-on) modded last gen (USM) VR6 Corrados run 14s. With a supercharger, they are in the range of a stock turbo WRX.

OK?

-Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts