Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is my ride this week:

View attachment 307554

I had reserved a "luxury convertible" for a vacation to San Diego, but this was all they had when I went to pick it up--got downgraded to a "standard convertible." LOL--saved a few bucks anyway.

I had a Camaro as a DD for a month several years ago, so it's pretty familiar. Not a bad car by any means--looks freakin' awesome, I must say, especially in red with a black roof and ginormous wheels.

It is of course pretty powerful and speedy even with the V6 engine. Gets pretty good gas mileage too.

Pros: fast, feels powerful, great wow factor, great visibility with the top down, good sound system, reasonably comfortable for 2 people.

Cons: poor visibility with the top up, back seat pretty useless--only useful for gear, the trunk is a joke--would literally only hold one carry-on bag. One.

I think I could deal with it as a DD if I didn't have to haul anyone or anything, and if the weather was perfect all the time (which it pretty much is in San Diego). I don't enjoy driving it quite as much as the WRX, because it feels bulky, it's hard to know where the nose is when you're driving, it doesn't feel as nimble in the corners, and the biggie...no MT. I did enjoy driving my Z4 quite a bit more because it had none of those cons.

Anyway, if I lived in a warmer climate I would consider it. I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of it this week, maybe it'll grow on me even more.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Looks like we will have another Camaro convert soon.

·
Registered
338 Posts
YOu know you CAN get one with a manual transmission right?

I like the way they look, especially the current gen but never could get over the poor visibility or lack of room anywhere inside. GM always seems to make ginormous cars with no interior room. They always seem 1/3 bigger on the outside and 1/3 smaller on the inside than they should be.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like we will have another Camaro convert soon.
Hehe...I could be!

Actually, when I was a young buck in the late 70's, I really, really wanted a '68 Camaro that was on a lot nearby, but my Dad talked me out of it. He thought it would be too dangerous (maybe true). It was gray with black skunk stripes. I've had that Camaro on my mind to this day.

YOu know you CAN get one with a manual transmission right?
Yes, I know about the manual. Would like to try one out sometime.

One other minor but annoying thing...the doors swing out farther than any car I've ever been in--must be 4 feet. That makes it very challenging to get in and out of tight spots in parking lots, a big contrast to the WRX for sure.

As long as I live in the Midwest, I will probably not own a Camaro sadly.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Hehe...I could be!

Actually, when I was a young buck in the late 70's, I really, really wanted a '68 Camaro that was on a lot nearby, but my Dad talked me out of it. He thought it would be too dangerous (maybe true). It was gray with black skunk stripes. I've had that Camaro on my mind to this day.

Yes, I know about the manual. Would like to try one out sometime.

One other minor but annoying thing...the doors swing out farther than any car I've ever been in--must be 4 feet. That makes it very challenging to get in and out of tight spots in parking lots, a big contrast to the WRX for sure.

As long as I live in the Midwest, I will probably not own a Camaro sadly.
I see them year round on the roads around Cincinnati. Ice, snow, nuclear winter they are out and not having much trouble. I don't know if gm nailed the traction control program, or winter tires are becoming more common but people are always out and about in them.

I think the newer generation camaros are the best looking, I just can't get comfortable driving one because I can't see out of it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Jeff, I might recommend that you look at the ZL1 Convertible. You lose the eDif and get the mechanical differential based on the fact that most people don't track their convertibles. The 6 speed manual is still available, but the 10 speed auto is a pretty snazzy piece of work. I was on the track with a couple of ZL1s for a good session at NCM Raceway, last year. Man, they bang some fast up-shifts. 2019 is the year for the mid-cycle refresh. Not sure what will be added. You know that the LT5 is there with its 750HP. Still I think that there is likely only to be a small bump in the LT4 in the ZL1. I am guessing 675Hp or so. Just enough to make 10 second quarter mile times, bone stock, more common.

All kidding aside, the Alpha platform transforms the Camaro into a world class performance car. The SS is truly the equal of the M4 and the C class AMG 6.3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQL8hriLD9Q&feature=youtu.be I am most likely going to move to a convertible for my next car. Time to retire the racing gear.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see too many muscle cars on the roads around Omaha when the weather is lousy. The few I do have winter tires and drive like grannies. My experience with my BMW is traction control is no substitute for AWD in winter.

A couple of nice pluses are that it's very quiet with the top up--much quieter than my Z4. And it's very cool left out in the sun with the tinted windows--the one downside of large window acreage and good visibility.

I would def consider this if I lived in Southern CA, where I am right now.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,618 Posts
So...full disclosure, I'm now the owner of a 2018 Camaro 2SS coupe.

Everything you've said about the negatives, the visibility, the lack of room, given a fairly large coupe, is absolutely true.

But once past that..ok, it's only been 600 miles, but so far this is a fantastic vehicle. The chassis is solid as a rock as you point it where you want to go, the transmission works well, the steering is precise in Sport or Track mode (though a bit heavier than my BRZ, and obviously this car weighs 900 lbs more, so not QUITE as nimble)..and well, you need to drive an SS to see what that LT1 engine is about. Getting in and listening to it rumble, especially with the dual mode exhaust option, puts a smile on my face and makes my day better.

But don't listen to me..I've still got the "new car halo" going on, I think... :wiggles:
I also only have "southern winters", so RWD isn't nearly as big a problem for that. My teen kids did manage to get in the back seat for a ride, when I first got it, but we're also a short'ish family, so that probably helps. The coupe's trunk is actually fairly substantial...once you get past the ludicrous opening.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ray--there's no denying, the lines on that car are outstanding. This is what happens when you let the design guys loose and don't nitpick them to death by committee. Also apparently the performance engineers...

I just read your review--can't add much to it. It's a fun driving experience even with the V6, which is no slouch with 335 HP. The gas mileage on the V6 is also very good--the computer said 27 MPG.

I think if one is going for aggressive looks and performance at a reasonable price, there's really no comparison. That said, it's not for everyone, and there are benefits to a more "Swiss Army Knife" car like the WRX.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll also add if one lives in a place where a convertible can be driven most of the time, the superior visibility is a big plus. I love droptops, and drove my BMW Z4 9 months out of the year, even if I had to wear a down coat and scarf. I think the Camaro is just about the best-looking soft top out there, and the mechanics are a wonder to behold.

However...with the top down the trunk is miniscule. So it's really a 2-seater for any travel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's true to say WRX is the best for driving and riding ;). I've tried with some others but there is no car that makes me feel better than WRX :wiggles:

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I assume you will check in here once in a while RayfieldsWRX?

I am curious how it holds up long term. I have owned GM products all my life and only the Buicks were what I'd call "good" cars. My S-10 pickup truck had all sorts of issues; as does my current GMC van. My Firebirds were OK but little nit things also plagued them (I didn't care too much about these though, since I was very young and only interested in the V8 engine experience.) My Cavalier wagon ran well for a while but didn't last long at all before major problems forced me to sell it.

I have a feeling the GM vehicles are better than they used to be and hope yours is hassle free :wiggles:

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
I assume you will check in here once in a while RayfieldsWRX?

I am curious how it holds up long term. I have owned GM products all my life and only the Buicks were what I'd call "good" cars. My S-10 pickup truck had all sorts of issues; as does my current GMC van. My Firebirds were OK but little nit things also plagued them (I didn't care too much about these though, since I was very young and only interested in the V8 engine experience.) My Cavalier wagon ran well for a while but didn't last long at all before major problems forced me to sell it.

I have a feeling the GM vehicles are better than they used to be and hope yours is hassle free :wiggles:
My Chevy Astro has 171k miles, is 21 years old, and still going strong!

I doubt my Subaru will last that long...

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
My Chevy Astro has 171k miles, is 21 years old, and still going strong!
Good, good, I am surprised, but that's certainly good. Who knows, could be thousands of reasons I had the experiences I did.

I do know that the new GM should, as I mentioned, be even better than before. Back a few years ago when they were coming out of bankruptcy they had a slogan, "May the best car win." I would see it on large banners on the side of their facility here in Cleveland. That is the right attitude.

·
Registered
423 Posts
So...full disclosure, I'm now the owner of a 2018 Camaro 2SS coupe.

Everything you've said about the negatives, the visibility, the lack of room, given a fairly large coupe, is absolutely true.

But once past that..ok, it's only been 600 miles, but so far this is a fantastic vehicle. The chassis is solid as a rock as you point it where you want to go, the transmission works well, the steering is precise in Sport or Track mode (though a bit heavier than my BRZ, and obviously this car weighs 900 lbs more, so not QUITE as nimble)..and well, you need to drive an SS to see what that LT1 engine is about. Getting in and listening to it rumble, especially with the dual mode exhaust option, puts a smile on my face and makes my day better.

But don't listen to me..I've still got the "new car halo" going on, I think... :wiggles:
I also only have "southern winters", so RWD isn't nearly as big a problem for that. My teen kids did manage to get in the back seat for a ride, when I first got it, but we're also a short'ish family, so that probably helps. The coupe's trunk is actually fairly substantial...once you get past the ludicrous opening.

Ray,

I knew we had you some months back. I love that blue. Very striking. You have to give us the skinny. 2SS? MRC (a must have)? NPP (dual mode exhause - another must have)? 6M or 8A (no lift shifting and dynamic rev matching on up and down shifts make the 6060 transmission a joy)?

CAMARO6 - Powered by vBulletin CamaroFest VIII at Bowling Green, KY. Arrive Wednesday the 11th. Thursday the 12th, NCM Raceway goes hot at 8:30AM. This is a HOD (Hooked on Driving) HPDE event. Snell 2010 helmet and an open face is fine. The Sinkhole is the finest piece of track this side of Laguna Seca's Corkscrew. Friday and Saturday you can lock 'n load for two days at the NHRA Beech Bend Raceway. Usually something between 1,000 and 2,000 Camaros show up. Al O (if you don't know who Al O is .... shame on you) was there with 10 of the Gen6 development engineers. Al talked for about 30 minutes and handed off another hours worth of questions to his engineering team. I am not leading a group through the Tail of the Dragon this year. Short trip because I have time at Big Bend National Park in October. No spare VACA this year.

Remember: Keep it stock, take it to the track. If it breaks we fix it. - Al O.

I am heading to NOLA Motorsports Park for a combined PCA/NASA event this weekend. Car was tech inspected yesterday. New slotted, cross-drilled Baer rotors, Hawk R compound pad (if your brakes don't squeal you don't have the right brakes) and 4 new Michelin Pilot 4S tires.

·
38,618 Posts
Yep, I'm already registered on Camaro6, good resource!

6-speed manual, because that's all I'll do.
2SS trim, it's actually fairly loaded, and it does have NPP exhaust. It sounds..excellent. Growls, barks, pops, most satisfying. Also the Recaro seats option, which are outstanding. The one thing I don't have on the car is MRC. I drove this car without it, and loved the suspension as it was. Perhaps I'll regret that, before it's over. I was trying to keep my price "haggling starting point" below a certain threshold... :rotfl:

Love the car, today I made a couple of 3/4 throttle bursts, still keeping it under 4000rpms for break in. Holy crap. I'm glad that there are Brembos on it, to help me rein it in before the corner gets here...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yep, I'm already registered on Camaro6, good resource!

6-speed manual, because that's all I'll do.
2SS trim, it's actually fairly loaded, and it does have NPP exhaust. It sounds..excellent. Growls, barks, pops, most satisfying. Also the Recaro seats option, which are outstanding. The one thing I don't have on the car is MRC. I drove this car without it, and loved the suspension as it was. Perhaps I'll regret that, before it's over. I was trying to keep my price "haggling starting point" below a certain threshold... :rotfl:

Love the car, today I made a couple of 3/4 throttle bursts, still keeping it under 4000rpms for break in. Holy crap. I'm glad that there are Brembos on it, to help me rein it in before the corner gets here...
Well Done, indeed!! The stock brakes and pads are very good. Mine lasted almost an entire track season. Lots of laps and full on Throw out the Anchor braking for turn 1 at NOLA. My terminal speeds down the 3300 foot straight were in the ~145mph range and braking for a ~65MPH Turn 1. Mind your manners till 1,500 miles. I changed the oil at 1,000 miles and again at 3,000 (I couldn't make myself go the 1,500 miles without a change). FWIW, I run the Motul 8100 X-Clean 5W-40W Dexos 2 oil all the time. I also run the Motul RBF 600 brake fluid all the time. You can find me under Lafourche1 on Camaro6. We have a great thread running under CamaroFest about NCM. Lots of great information on track preparation. MLee and Mr. Wyndom are both top drawer gentlemen.

A stolen Camaro6 saying: Run what you brung. Hope you brung enough.

Congratulations on a wonderful choice!

Mike

·
38,618 Posts
wow, thanks for the info! I'll look for you, over there; I'm more of a lurker, at them moment.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i rented a 2017 1ss convertible last year in san antonio for a week, it was january and the weather was beautiful. only had to drive with the top up one time but man is that visibility ever so bad. good thing its faster than practically anything so a little tap of the throttle and you can be sure your blind spot is clear :) the rental had the 8 speed witch felt about as good as the only dual clutch ive ever driven, a 2017 mercedes gla. maybe the difference would be more noticeable if i had driven them back to back but it certainly shifted very fast.

even the ss gas mileage amazed me, as i went on a short highway cruise to test hypermileing it and got nearly 32 mpg. the cylinder deactivation is actually capable of a little bit of acceleration or up-hill cruising unlike the tahoe witch goes right back to v8 the instant any load is put on the engine.

i would have considered buying one over my wrx if it wasn't for my head being pressed into the roof that one time i did have the top up. sports car designers really hate tall people with short legs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts