Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man what a car!
That thing is fast! the c5 that is. even though he got a head start since i was following him, he let it out and it walked away.
I got to admit it man....
I gave him the thumbs up as i passed him later and he looked like he was a bit surprised I was as close as i was. it was too! All I have is a K&N, and I run 94 Sunoco. At the time though i was on 92 Speedway gas.
The race started at 80mph and went to about 110mph so i know i wouldn't win it. But I wasn't embarrased either, I mean this car has some nerve man!:)
I know a mbc would have at least kept me up with him and that would have been amazing to do. Man I might just have to try an mbc after all.

·
895 Posts
exactly how fast is a c5? corvettes are pretty hard to keep up with...just imagine trying to go with a c5, now thats near impossible

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm saving for a PE1820 and feul pump and injectors just so I can beat a Vette. I hear that a good driver can pull off a 12.9 pretty consistantly in a Corvette. I'm hoping for mid to high 12s after These mods. So yeah....generally a C5 corvette is not somthing you even try to race in a WRX unless you've got a good amount of work done to it. I can only imagine at this point what it's going to feel like to beat one of those.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ok, so a guy I work with has an '86 (?) C5. It has a 350 with positraction. It's also an Automatic. Can I beat him from a stop? When will he start to catch up if I do? BTW he doesn't have many miles on his car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
Ok, so a guy I work with has an '86 (?) C5. It has a 350 with positraction. It's also an Automatic. Can I beat him from a stop? When will he start to catch up if I do? BTW he doesn't have many miles on his car.
86 C5? I don't think they were refered to as being a C5 then...

Anyway, auto or not, don't sweat it. A Vett is a Vett, and it will make you look bad.

·
2,210 Posts
Mid-eighties 'vettes are not that quick, and you should be able to beat him off the line, if that's what he has. If your WRX is stock but you make a great start, my guess is that he'll pass you around 70mph.

Don't mess with C5s though until you are pumping around 300HP from your WRX.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mid 80s Vettes

1988 Chevrolet Corvette 6 0-60 14.6 1/4
1986 Chevrolet Corvette 5.8 0-60 14.4 1/4
1985 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7 0-60 14.1 1/4
1984 Chevrolet Corvette 6.7 0-60 15.1 1/4

·
Registered
383 Posts
Heh, no, an 86 is a C4. And actually, if you can drive, you stand a good chance. With a good launch, it will take past 70 for him to catch you...I'd be willing to bet 90 or higher (auto helps his launch, hurts his top end). Give it a shot and see...if you lose, you lose...but that's way more fun than not racing at all :D

VV

Suparu said:

86 C5? I don't think they were refered to as being a C5 then...

Anyway, auto or not, don't sweat it. A Vett is a Vett, and it will make you look bad.

·
Registered
785 Posts
He said C5, but I forget what year he said. I can launch, and he's not about to rev in neutral and drop it. So what's the verdict, I've heard yes I'll win and no way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vettevert,
Congratulations on becoming this sites most-favorite-non-wrx-owner-member!
Please, could you teach those audi guys some manners for civilizations sake?;)

·
2,210 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
He said C5, but I forget what year he said. I can launch, and he's not about to rev in neutral and drop it. So what's the verdict, I've heard yes I'll win and no way.
Find out the year... he may be blowing smoke about it being a C5. Have you seen it? C5s look like this:

..I personally wouldn't race if it's a C5.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Looks just like that one, only it's red. Guess I'll wait until I have uppipe and chip installed. Or maybe I'll race him right now cause it's SNOWING :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
hehe, maybe not cheating, but without some fairly big power mods, it will be your best bet if it really is a C5 (which is the 97+ model year, btw) (also, 97+Vettes have the LS1, and 98+ F-bodies do)

VV

wrxinthehouse said:
<-------- cheats

·
Registered
3 Posts
and he's not about to rev in neutral and drop it
I would hope not, that's the worst way to launch in a slushbox, he'd lose for sure, if he didn't leave the trans on the street.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts