Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you pick and why. I'm sure I know what everyones gonna say here, but the why is more what I'm looking for :)

I know the A4 is absolutely no match for the WRX performance wise and that the WRX even beats the S4 in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. I also know that in terms of looks and interior the A4 comes out way on top....

·
980 Posts
my good friend is an A4 owner and we have a mutual buddy who owns a S4. If it were between the S4 and WRX, no question the S4 would be the car to chose. The A4 has the luxury, but it has much less pickup and you will be shifting much faster to than with the wrx. A4 winds out much quicker. Incidentally a black A4 totally debadged and tinted is a sight to behold. Especially after a nice waxing. The lines are simple and sweet on the A4, but exciting and "fast looking" on the wrx. So its all about what you want. Performance goes to the WRX, sleek looks and classy style goes to the A4.

chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, exterior-wise it's really no contest. Interior-wise I have to admit that I was not all that impressed with the A4. I was actually considering an A4 Avant 1.8T 5spd and test drove an '02 model before I bought my WRX. I didn't even consider the 3.0 model because that gets you in the mid- to upper-$30K range and if I wanted to spend that kind of money, I probably would have bought a Pilot/MDX or used X5. The 1.8T model does not offer the wood trim and the '02 model was leatherette only. Unbelievable that you can only get vinyl seats in a $30K+ car. The interior was a bit nicer than the WRX, but not all that and a bag of chips.

The test drive sealed the deal for me. Saying this car is not as fast as the WRX is like saying Broadband is not that much faster than a dial-up. Major understatement. The car is an absolute dog. Until it hits 3K in first you feel like pulling a Fred Flintstone and sticking your foot out the door to help this thing get going. I'm talking scary slow. On top of that the clutch was vague, the shifter was sloppy and the car was buzzing at 4K RPM at 80MPH on the highway. Not exactly what I'm looking for in my cruising mobile.

Drive both and the WRX will be a slam dunk.

Jimbo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jimbo said:
Well, exterior-wise it's really no contest. Interior-wise I have to admit that I was not all that impressed with the A4. I was actually considering an A4 Avant 1.8T 5spd and test drove an '02 model before I bought my WRX. I didn't even consider the 3.0 model because that gets you in the mid- to upper-$30K range and if I wanted to spend that kind of money, I probably would have bought a Pilot/MDX or used X5. The 1.8T model does not offer the wood trim and the '02 model was leatherette only. Unbelievable that you can only get vinyl seats in a $30K+ car. The interior was a bit nicer than the WRX, but not all that and a bag of chips.

The test drive sealed the deal for me. Saying this car is not as fast as the WRX is like saying Broadband is not that much faster than a dial-up. Major understatement. The car is an absolute dog. Until it hits 3K in first you feel like pulling a Fred Flintstone and sticking your foot out the door to help this thing get going. I'm talking scary slow. On top of that the clutch was vague, the shifter was sloppy and the car was buzzing at 4K RPM at 80MPH on the highway. Not exactly what I'm looking for in my cruising mobile.

Jimbo
I've driven the WRX several times and I can tell how much fun I'd have with it. I'mma try to test drive an A4 tomorrow. I really don't expect to be impressed. I love the way that car looks tho.

I'm almost 100% still gonna get the WRX tho because I'm geting it pretty much at invoice, and because its a more fun car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I actually own an A4 (1.8T Quattro) and am currently trying to sell it to buy a WRX. It was actually my wife's car but she got a new job that has her driving about 150 miles per day and we decided that a Civic would be a better high mileage car so we traded in my SUV for a civic and no I am driving the Audi.

As for my thoughts on it... If it were a stick I would consider keeping it and then modding it but since it is an auto, I think I am going to try to get rid of it. I feel the enterior and exterior are awesome on the Audi. It is very comfortable to drive and has a nice torquey punch to it at about 2200 rpms. It handles better than 90% of the 4-door sedans on the market, WRX excluded. I think the main reason I want to sell it is that it is not the most practical vehicle for me. I mean the heated leather seats are nice but, I like to do all sorts of outdoors sports (rock climbing, mountain biking, snow boarding, etc) and I just feel like I will tear up a nice car like that on rough backroads and hauling all sorts of gear.

They are both nice cars but my vote goes to the scooby. Hopefully I will be able to sell my A4 soon so I can buy one too. If you are interested or know someone who is: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10942

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I was probably one of the few SUV owners that actually took it off road, but I didn't feel it was worth it since my wife and I both commute and getting 16 MPG made it expensive to take trips with anyway.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Jimbo said:
Until it hits 3K in first you feel like pulling a Fred Flintstone and sticking your foot out the door to help this thing get going. I'm talking scary slow. On top of that the clutch was vague, the shifter was sloppy and the car was buzzing at 4K RPM at 80MPH on the highway. Not exactly what I'm looking for in my cruising mobile.

Jimbo

I think you got a defective A4, as there is no way that 1.8T is really like that. Was this a quattro? I have not been in a quattro yet, so I can't comment on the slowdown, but your description of the 2k2 A4 does not seem right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One thing i know consumer reports rates them as not reliable. They apparently get rattles in the dash and have other minor problems according to consumer reports. I don't know whether this is true, but it is one of the things i concidered when looking at cars. Subarus are very reliable as long as you don't beat them up by dropping the clutch every time you go to get moving.

·
Registered
430 Posts
And you think there are no rattles in the subaru? Thing is with the subaru you start out without most of the "Refinement" so it does not have as high a pedestal to fall from.

·
Registered
480 Posts
A4's can be modded to be very quick, and can be made to outhandle the heavier S4: but match that dollar for dollar and the WRX stays ahead. The A4 wins on looks, no question about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Retro said:
And you think there are no rattles in the subaru? Thing is with the subaru you start out without most of the "Refinement" so it does not have as high a pedestal to fall from.
True the Subaru isn't as refined as an Audi. But according to Consumer Reports they go to the shop a lot for little tiny problems that arrise. Like I said though I don't know if the new ones are better or not. If you look at Audi in a Consumer reports most of the dots turn black. If you look at the Subaru most are red. I know many people who have owned Subarus past 100k with no problem. That includes my parents who had one with 125K miles on it. It would have lasted longer but my sister was broadsisded in it.

Which brings the other reason why i have a Subaru. They get the best ratings in crash tests. They got better then Volvo did. I believe a car should be safe if you should get into an accident. Granted I'm a very good driver but there are lots of idiots out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
nemesis099 said:

True the Subaru isn't as refined as an Audi. But according to Consumer Reports they go to the shop a lot for little tiny problems that arrise. Like I said though I don't know if the new ones are better or not. If you look at Audi in a Consumer reports most of the dots turn black. If you look at the Subaru most are red. I know many people who have owned Subarus past 100k with no problem. That includes my parents who had one with 125K miles on it. It would have lasted longer but my sister was broadsisded in it.
I agree, my audi was actually just in the shop to get a new headlight washer pump, washer fluid bottle, and something else. Luckily it is an audi assured vehicle and has warrenty to 75K b/c I'm sure it would have been $300-$500 for a fix like that. I'm sure the engine itself will be reliable for a lot of miles its just the little things like that I am worried about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
quickdraw said:

I agree, my audi was actually just in the shop to get a new headlight washer pump, washer fluid bottle, and something else. Luckily it is an audi assured vehicle and has warrenty to 75K b/c I'm sure it would have been $300-$500 for a fix like that. I'm sure the engine itself will be reliable for a lot of miles its just the little things like that I am worried about.
Actually i believe there engines are one of the best made. They are in many vehicles including VWs and have been around for years. So that is one advantage the dash may rattle but your engine will never leave you stranded.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was choosing between those 2 cars, and currently drive a '99 A4 2.8 quattro. I choose the WRX for 2 reasons: Price & Performance. The A4 wins in styling, materials, fit & finish, and it CAN hold it's on in the handling department (with the Sports Packasge. But I wanted to save money, wanted AWD, and craved performance. That's why I'm here now :)

Oh, and new for '03 1.8T models is Leather on the SEATING surfaces... the rest is still Leatherette.

Merlot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I test drove teh Audi yesterday. Beautiful car. Inside and out, but NO balls. It handles very nicely tho, and I definately would drive it.

That said, I still am having a hard time deciding. The Audi dealer claims that I would get 1.9% financing. They said I could get teh car for $340 or so a month with $12000 down (which would be the case with 1.9% APR and a purchase price around $29000). I think its BS tho. The lowest rate I could get thru Subaru is 5.9%.

Basically it boils down to: I would have more fun with the WRX but the A4 looks alot better.

Oh yea, how is $23,500 for teh WRX with short shifter, auto dimming mirror and arm rest extension?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
That seems like an easy choice. What is your priority? Driving the car or looking at it? I guess that should be "how cool people think you are when you drive by?". Don't forget it also says "Audi" on the back, so that probably impresses people more than "Subaru".

Of course people will see the Subaru from the back more than they'll see the Audi. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Retro said:
It's really silly to equate rattles with quality. My CRX has rattled like crazy since the day it was new, but 200k trouble-free miles of hard driving and the thing still runs like new.

Subarus are some of the longest lasting cars on the road. That's just a fact. A couple of interior rattles have nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess that should be "how cool people think you are when you drive by?". Don't forget it also says "Audi" on the back, so that probably impresses people more than "Subaru".
What the hell is that supposed to mean? I drive an Audi right now... are you implying people buy Audi's because of the name?? I sure didn't. I got mine because was one of the best sports sedans on the road at the time (and it still is up there), and it has an excellent AWD system. Mechanical diffs front, center & rear.

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts