Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been talked about many times but just how badly will a stock 3000 gt stomp my brains out. I was on the freeway the other day and one way playing with me. We cruised several miles in and out of traffic between 85 and 115. We wern't really racing but just driving fast but at one point I dropped into 4th (I know that road oh-so-well and he had wyoming plates on his car) on a straight and put a good eight-mile on him. He wans't trying, was he. that was from about 85 ish to 110 ish.

·
1,263 Posts
I don't know about a stock 3000GT but definitely beware the modded ones!! A buddy of mine who helped me with my Stage 4 mods on my car has a demon 3000GT - it is insane!!!!!!!!

What is the name of the french card game that you scanned for your avatar??? I had that game as a kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have no idea how we stack up against the 3000 gt. i just like your sig.

Don't follow me, I'm about to crash.

lol thats the funniest thing i ever herd:D

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would think a 3000GT at speeds would reel in a stock wrx, or going from 85 to 115 as you said. Are you stock?

But from a stop, you will crush a 3000GT. but the 3000GT Vr4 is another story!

·
1,263 Posts
oooppss - I am talking about the vr4.
I would have no qualms going againts a stock 3000gt in my TXS Stage 4. I reckon (this is thumb in the air stab in the dark) that I could have fun with a stock vr4 and would get comprehensively whipped by something like my buddy's modded vr4.

But I will still go hammer and tongs on the dirt, where none of them would follow!! :D :D

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The card game from which I scanned that pic is called Millbourne. It's fun for a card game because you can hand out things like flat tires and car accidents:mad: My rex is stock and I didn't notice if it was a vr4 or not. Is the driveline the only difference on those or are the engines different. I guess I need to do a little research...

·
Registered
129 Posts
3000GT's

no, the difference is that the 3000GT was V6 non-turbo and i think just front wheel drive...the 3000GT VR-4 is twin turbo AWD...they look like the same car until you get close enough to read the VR-4 decal on the side windows or the rear of it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
A stock base or SL 3000GT would be close from a roll, with the rex taking it out untill about 100 or so, but the VR-4 is a different story especially at those speeds. By the way 91-93 VR-4's are not slow.......sure they run 3 psi less then the 94+, but are still almost as fast. Nothing a BC won't fix....right boys:D

·
Registered
354 Posts
I guess my old 92 Stealth TT that ran 12.91 @ 106.5 was slow? It had a K&N, downpipe, and a MBC. That's it. 4065 lbs as raced, mostly because I'm 275 lbs of that :)

The 5spd cars are slower on stock turbos than the 6spd cars because the 6spd keeps the tiny hairdryers in boost longer.

After wrecking the 92 ( http://moojohn.com/stealth/wreck ) I bought a 94. Swapping the same mods plus fuel injectors (550s) and a VPC to controll 'em nets a current 1/8 mi of 7.86 @ 89.5. That's roughly 12.20 @ 112. Still stock turbos, cat-back, fuel pump, etc.

New turbos by spring, netting 11.0s. Just gotta save up the $2100 bread to buy 'em.

·
Registered
84 Posts
um... anything less than a 3kgt vr4, we can beat badly from a roll and what not. my friend in a civic si took out a 3kgt sl easily. The 3kgt's are heavly plus fwd and their hp to weight ratio isn't that good, the vr4's are the only ones that are a threat to the stock wrx. Personally i dont mess with anythin that has a twin turbo, whether it looks stock or not that car as much potential.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With Vishnu Stage 0 I have raced a mildly modded 99 VR4... beat him once, lost twice... the two losses occurred when he had someone drive his car for him... we launched side by side... through 1st and 2nd, when the VR4 hit 3rd he began pulling pretty good... both losses were only a couple cars though...

He had full exhaust/bov/intake and full race suspension.

Some say he had some sort of boost control, I dont know though... he told me he didn't.

I had Unichip/uppipe/EBC/pulley.

At that time I was running 13.2s-13.4s on average... with a best of [email protected]

Since I have upgraded to Vishnu Stage 2 I ran into one at the local illegal drags, we were fleeing the police at the time :), lots of cars coming off one ramp...

I had two bodies in the car to his one body... it was the VR4 from the Mischeif video (Tekademics), the purpley looking one with the front mount (Altered Atmosphere tuned).

Anyway, we both punched it (at least it looked like he did, his front end rose up) and I seemed to have pulled on him... I was in the lead... one things for sure, he did not pull on me. Of course he could have been in 6th for all I know...

Later, the passenger (owner of the '99 Vr4 from above) came up to me and asked if I was fully on it from before... not sure why, either they thought I was alot faster than they expected... or he had been in 6th and thought I was slow... your guess is as good as mine... :)

def

·
Registered
354 Posts
The weight was very close. My 92 was 4065 lbs, my 94 is 4035. Most of the difference is that my 92 had a sunroof and the associated extra bracing.

The only lighter 3k/Stealths are the 95-96 Stealth, which got rid of the adjustable exhaust, adjustable suspension, 4 wheel steering, and automatic heat/AC setup. They're about 250-300 lbs lighter as a result. 95 Stealths are semi rare and there were only ~ 57 1996 Stealth TTs ever made.

·
Registered
112 Posts
91s came with 300hp and a 5spd rather than the 6spd.

92s I am not sure about... but I these were the 1st to offer the 6spd and 320hp.

However the earlier ones did have alot more gadgets... and weigthed alot more.

The lightest variants are the Stealth RTs, they have the AWD, 6spd and 320hp, but none of the other gizmos and weight considerable less...

def

·
Registered
404 Posts
3000GT = slow

Stock VR4s = kind of fast but not as fast as most people think. They tend to run much slower times at the track than expected. My buddies best time is 13.4 @ 102mph with exhaust, boost controller, and some other goodies. His VR4 is a couple years old.

When my 99z28 was stock I beat every stock VR4 I raced. So there pretty fast but not that fast.

Heavily modded VR4's can be extremely fast but there's not to many of them on the street.

And yes they are very heavy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
03WRX83 said:
um... anything less than a 3kgt vr4, we can beat badly from a roll and what not. my friend in a civic si took out a 3kgt sl easily. The 3kgt's are heavly plus fwd and their hp to weight ratio isn't that good, the vr4's are the only ones that are a threat to the stock wrx. Personally i dont mess with anythin that has a twin turbo, whether it looks stock or not that car as much potential.
I'm not going to argue about it, but just look at the facts. If you look at the trap speeds from a stock rex 95-97MPH and a stock 3000GT 93-95 you will see stock vs. stock from a roll a 3000GT will be close. The 3000GT also has better top end so take that into account around 100. So if you think about it, it's closer from a roll then you think. A friend of mine had a 3000GT SL and my good frined from Maine has a 02 WRX.........they raced many of times from about a 65-70 MPH roll up to about 120 and guess what....the 3000GT beat him every time. The rex was completely stock and the 3000GT had an air filter. Please do not flame me because this is what I've expercienced....and it makes sense as well

·
Registered
180 Posts
My dad use to have a 1996 VR4 Spyder. The car was pretty fast, maybe a little faster than my wrx but not by much. The thing with the VR4 spyder and VR4's in general are that they weight starting at around 4,000 lbs and the spyder weighs in at around 4,300. since its a hard top convertable. I raced many cars in the VR4 Spyder and the only car that took me from a roll was a 99 Z28 that my friend had, by like 1 car lenght from 40-70. Anyway I just thought that I would let you guys know. Also the tranny and clutch in the VR4 isnt the best, but the engine and AWD is a dream, plus the all wheel steering.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts