Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago, I just put my new blowoff valve on my car during my lunch break at work and a coworker and I took my car for a little spin. We were driving and went to turn around and see this guy motioning to me to wait up in a red 1st gen eclipse. So I pull over to see what he wants. 1st thing out his mouth is if I will run him and that his car is just stock. So I agree to race him he says he hasn't got a chance to run a wrx yet, then he goes to mention that he has changed the intercooler and the fuel injectors and I can clearly see his fart can on the back. This he tells me not 30 seconds after he said his car is stock. Oh well, we pull out to run, him 1st. We are driving slow so we can catch the light ahead red. the eclipse is a car and a half infront of me rolling at 20 mph, so I speed up to get next to him and he takes off before i get there. We run up to 70 with me slowing pulling up on him. I'm only shifting at 6k rpms cuz my car only has 180 miles on it. Then we slow own to catch another light with me still trailing him and i speed up to get even with him and he takes off prematurely again. I catch up and tell him that he might want to atleast start evenly for a fair race so this time he lets me get next to him and we go on a 15 mph roll, I forget about the break in period and shift at 7k rpms and proceed to put about 2 full cars on him to 80 mph. After that we pull into a circle K and he begins to make excuses about why he lost when we actually left at the same time. Maybe if he lost a little weight he might have put up a better race, cuz he probablly weighted as much as me and my passenger. Asked him if he actually wanted to go from a dead stop and he declined, I guess he knew what the results of that would be.

mark one down for the WRX

·
Registered
59 Posts
excellent. have you noticed there really isn't much after 6k at wot anyway? i usually break it after 6k. still not quite sure what the optimum shift points are. surely they vary by gear.

i did take a friend out in my car friday night. he owns a late model vr6 and always boasts about it. very nice cars, but come on. he's never seemed to understand the power to weight game and always talked smack about the mr2's. i mean, he loved them but was always like, 'i'd blow you away'. uh, okay. anyway, he got in the wrx friday and i punched it a few times, not dumping the clutch from 4k, hitting 80 to 100 in no time. did the same thing yesterday while goofing off. his comments were how hard his head flew back into the seat and how smooth the power is. now he calls it a 'hot rod'. lol.

·
Registered
511 Posts
good run! you gotta watch those 1st gen DSMs... they are one of the few cars that i fear... especially when modded. (along with the obvious ones, Supra TT, RX-7 TT, etc)

·
Registered
949 Posts
What a silly kid. Trying to say that he's all stock when he's obviously not, and not even racing from a stop. All of this after making you PULL OVER so he could beg and plead to race your almighty WRX?!

·
Registered
354 Posts
He was stock except for the fart tip. A DSM doesn't need, nor does it benefit from, injectors and an intercooler, at those power levels.

If you're pulling away from a FWD DSM from a roll and your car is stock (assuming so since it was under 200 miles old), he is not modded with so much as a boost controller. On those FWDs, a MBC with *no* other mods will approach 100 mph traps.

My old GSX with a 16g turbo, full 2.5" exhaust, and MBC could only hang even with a FWD that had only a MBC and exhaust. They're extremely light and their 3rd gear is amazing.

From your description of his car and his actions, he's a ricer, or at least a ricer in training. Glad you killed him!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts