Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raced a 1969 camaro SS today and it was odd. I just got my WRX this week and I learned to drive a stick...this week. So I suck at taking off. Well this guy pulls up to me in his Camaro and revs his engine. I knew I would lose cause i would screw up the start. But I didn't care. It was my first race in the car and I wanted to see how I could do. So the light turned red and I got and poopy start....but I pulled it together and the car screamed. The camaro was a car length ahead of me and when the turbo kicked in I started pulling up on him. We got to 80 and I knew he was mine and so did he so he bailed out of the race. So then we start coming up to another light and I passed him but had to slow down for the next light. Just as I slowed down and was changing gears the light turns greens and he slams it. I was like..wait dude....im not ready yet! So I just let him go. It was awesome. I caught up with him at the next light but there were cars infront of us. I waved at him and he ignored me. I should have got out of my car and punched him in the face.
I need to learn how to launch this thing so i can kick some booty!

P.S. My other car is a 1999 3000gt and I beat an Eclipse in it one time. Everthing else beat me. 160 hp Automatic in a car that looks fast is just looking to be made into a fool. What was mitsubishi thinking making a 3000gt with 160hp!?!?

·
Registered
178 Posts
nice,

man just rev up to 5500rpms and dump the clutch and floor it at teh same time, doign that you would have raped him off the line.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thanks dude! Thats what I will do. I just need to practice. I guess in the mean time I should get a "student driver" sign and put on my car so people will stop looking at me.

My friends at work have no problem getting there cars to launch. One guys has an S2000 and a WRX and my other buddy just got an STI. The guy with the S2000 can drive as good as anyone and I wonder what his times on his WRX are. Im sure he would have wasted the Camaro. I went for a ride in both of them and I swear the WRX was a lot faster than the S2000. My friend with the STI has not gotten it over 4000 rpm's yet. He is waiting till it has 1000 miles on it. But you sure can tell the suspention is tight as hell on that thing and there was zero turbo lag.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
80 Posts
kingleh dont be an ass.

artist: dont dump your clutch unless you want to dump some gears out your transmission. slip it at around 4500 and keep the revs over 3500 at all times.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, seriously don't dump it. Just slip it kinda fast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
"So the light turned red and I got and poopy start....but I pulled it together and the car screamed."

artist i would hoped that you would have stopped:eek: .:p .

·
Registered
19 Posts
You had me following along *seriously* UNTIL:

"The camaro was a car length ahead of me and when the turbo kicked in I started pulling up on him. We got to 80 and I knew he was mine and so did he so he bailed out of the race."

You had an 69 Camaro SS a full car length ahead of you (on your first race no doubt) And you caught him "when the turbo 'kicked' in?" Wow, here is a case of bad driver in hot car, vs lucky guy in hot car. Given an even launch, he should have been much more ahead of you than 1 car, even with AWD, reguardless of "turbo lag" and you caught him at top end when your WRX turbo "spooled" up... From one car length... at 80mph... and at this time HE instincly knew this and tried to "get the hell out of dodge" :confused: :rolleyes: Well I am not saying I don't believe you, cause I have seen stuff like this happen. Comes down to driver error on the SS drivers part, or MY GUESS, it wasn't a real SS. But anyways man, I never bash cases like this, cause you never know the situation, so I give ya the good 'ol thubs up and a "nice kill" How 'bout ya swing my way and I'll show you how a real Classic 2nd gen Camaro is suppose to run :D Again, good kill man...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm guessing it wasn't a real SS. My cousin has a 69 SS that I guess is a rare car since it came with a 427 and aluminum heads and that car turns high 11's in the quarter. Maybe it was an automatic?!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can assure you that car goes more than 6.8 0-60 even bone stock. Now if this was a restored car, that ALSO isn't a bone stock engine... M/Ts didn't out perform the A/T as much with oldschool domestics, so that shouldnt be an issue. Ey hell, who knows, I havent seen the car, so like I said. Nice kill. My thing was about the story, and you guys keep getting me messed up lol when you just plain out talk about WRXs when your actually talkin about the STi which is a BIG difference. I'll catch on I guess...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Consider also that in 1969 that tire compounds are not what they are today and that they didn't come much in the way with wide tires. That car probably had 205/15's on it and couldn't put the power to the ground.

My father has a 1960 Corvette that has the old white wall tires on it. Four on the floor with a stock 283 and that thing can spin the tires through three gears. Of course the tire compound is hard as a rock and they are only 165/15's.

If I remember correctly, my cousin's car is putting down over 400 hp to the wheels and has more torque than HP. With cheater slicks he was having problems hooking up and when he ran wrinkle walls, he was breaking drive train parts. I'm not sure what he was running with the wrinkle walls but he was running the high 11's with the cheater slicks.

Of course, his Camaro SS was a limited production car and I think there were less than 400 produced.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
who knows

I have no idea what the deal was with the Camaro. All I know is that he couldn't pull away from me. Maybe he was just messing with me. I do know that it was not stock. He was a very lound car and it looked awesome. It was bright orange with stripes. Maybe all he did was fix up the exterior and change the exhaust. It was super fun anyway.

·
Registered
296 Posts
C9A1L1L said:
I can assure you that car goes more than 6.8 0-60 even bone stock.
I saw four or five web sites with roughly those same numbers for a 1969 Camaro SS. I have no vested interest in proving me right or you wrong, and I've got nothing against Camaros (I actually like the look of the older ones). But can you give me something more than "Because I said so"? :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lol, the more than "Because I said so" would be the fact I am a Camaro owner, and am a member of at least 4 Camaro clubs, not including the 3 Muscle car clubs I am a member in locally. The guys with 69s assured me they are pulling better times than 6.8 and BTW that car on that site is a covertable which is slower than the hard tops as well. But this guy just said it wasn't a stock 'maro :confused: So now I am almost sure something went wrong. I am not sure how you could tell. Muscle cars arent like imports, you cant tell they are modded most of the time unless you look under the hood, they are all naturally "loud" This is just another case of "The WRX SHOULDN'T have won but DID" Lol, that is good enough for me, it happens, and like I said a thousand times, nice kill. His story is what makes it hard to choke down for me. First he has a bad start... then he catches him, and was about to pass him, at 80mph? Then we find out it is a modded 69 camaro? If you didn't get him on the launch, I wouldn't suspect you to catch him til end of second gear which is the slowest transaction point in the camaro trannys. Then after that in 3rd is when the REAL power of the camaro should have kicked in due to the high end aspects. So you CATCHING him rather than slowly walking him is what makes it hard to believe. And at 80mph he was in the middle of 3rd, so he had a full half gear plus 4th to keep gaining, and gearing runs higher since there usually isnt much tire spinning left. So he would have started going even faster. So again: :confused: :confused: :confused: Oh well, thumbs up anyways.

·
Registered
296 Posts
C9A1L1L said:
Lol, the more than "Because I said so" would be the fact I am a Camaro owner, and am a member of at least 4 Camaro clubs, not including the 3 Muscle car clubs I am a member in locally. The guys with 69s assured me they are pulling better times than 6.8 and BTW that car on that site is a covertable which is slower than the hard tops as well.
Now see, that was much better than "Because I said so." A simple explanation of where you were making your statements from was all I was asking for. You provided it. Thank you. :)

Just out of curiosity, what are the guys with 69's claiming as 0-60 times?

·
Registered
19 Posts
For fully stock engines they were saying around mid to high 5s, still not that great, but those are on orginal tires as well (bad compound) There are only 3 guys with full stock/orginal First gens. the rest are modded in some way, as this guy stated the camaro he raced was modded so that is where my puzzling comes into play lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts