Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and didn't see anything on this specifically the way I wanted to ask it:

So I am around 2 weeks in with my WRX Limited, have around 600 miles on it. One of my work pals happens to have a 2016 GTI, noticed what I am driving now and made the comment that I would likely be spending a bunch more time, then he will, getting my car serviced. And that once the warranty is up its going to be pricey to repair again and again.. more then my old Volvo C30 (which was making me hate Volvo's).

Not saying I believe him, I just nodded and smiled.

Depending on where you look on the web there are many opinions. Too many.

I would think that between the GTI and the WRX the following would be the case:

- Reliability is likely a tad better with the WRX.
- My repair costs will be somewhat less then if I had a GTI.
- The cars value will be somewhat better at trade-in or sale in 4 or so years.

Both of these cars are pretty much going to get the same performance, with a small nod to the WRX, I drove both so that is my opinion.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well... my opinion may be skewed as I had to lemon my GTI and help 2 other friends lemon theirs. (see my build thread for story). Your friend may be referring to horror stories of engine failures on the WRX's and STI's?

As for the actual cost of repair, between the two GTI parts were a lot more expensive in my experience.

No hate on the car though, my brother has a MK7 GTI SE with Performance pack and it's quite a comfortable car to be in but if we're talking performance alone the WRX would take the cake imo.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... my opinion may be skewed as I had to lemon my GTI and help 2 other friends lemon theirs. (see my build thread for story). Your friend may be referring to horror stories of engine failures on the WRX's and STI's?

As for the actual cost of repair, between the two GTI parts were a lot more expensive in my experience.

Yes, he was actually referring to engine failures. Not sure how I missed that on my research. Oh well. Hopefully it won'r happen to me.

Good to know that at least repairs would be cheaper, however I suspect a new engine after power train warranty is up at 60k miles would break me financially.. whats that like 7k installed?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes, he was actually referring to engine failures. Not sure how I missed that on my research. Oh well. Hopefully it won'r happen to me.

Good to know that at least repairs would be cheaper, however I suspect a new engine after power train warranty is up at 60k miles would break me financially.. whats that like 7k installed?
You'll be fine as far as engine failures go as long as you keep up with your oil changes and stay away from bad tunes. As far as a new engine after 60k? I couldn't tell, our engines could become more widely available by then. But currently a FA20 shortblock could be had for about $2500? another $1500 to $2000 for labor so i'd say all said and done $4500 to $5000

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
My VW experience was poor. The car endlessly had problems. The most persistent problem was the non stop recalls for already recalled parts.

I've heard the recent generation has stepped the game up but i am not sold.

My experience was the vehicle felt far nicer than what it was. The feel, fit and finish are leaps and bounds beyond my WRX. But that is a German thing. Everything from the weight of the doors, to the knobs felt superb and quality. The temperature of the ambient lighting, the thickness of the steering wheel, the color of the dash, even the seats were nice.

Shame everything on the outside of the interior was garbage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
My VW experience was poor. The car endlessly had problems. The most persistent problem was the non stop recalls for already recalled parts.

I've heard the recent generation has stepped the game up but i am not sold.

My experience was the vehicle felt far nicer than what it was. The feel, fit and finish are leaps and bounds beyond my WRX. But that is a German thing. Everything from the weight of the doors, to the knobs felt superb and quality. The temperature of the ambient lighting, the thickness of the steering wheel, the color of the dash, even the seats were nice.

Shame everything on the outside of the interior was garbage.

They do a very good job of making something cheap seem premium. The car feels like a very expensive luxury car when you test drive it but quickly starts to disintegrate after 5k miles lol. That was my experience anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the reason I didn't go GTI was likely because the test drive I did was during a rainy day and on a state road that curved a bit. The result was it felt a tiny bit no so secure. I loved the way the GTI looked inside.

However the previous WRX test drives, while some time before, impressed me with handling and performance even at low speeds.

Considering I have decided not not tune the car I am hoping it will be fine. At 3.5 years with my commute and general driving I will be out of warranty.

Same as with my Volvo after the same number of years. And then the repairs started, ball bearings several times. Throttle body a bunch of times, transmission...

Added up over 5k in repairs i think starting right after warreny was up until I traded at almost 5 years.

And the C30 was never beat on or raced.. just driven through NE USA snow seasons...

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
The GTI is fwd, it handles really well for being one as well. Personally I don't care for fwd and it's understeer, but AWD has a notable amount as well but I'm dealing with it.

With the proper tires getting around in any climate and condition shouldn't be an issue for either vehicle.

·
Registered
555 Posts
He may be referencing the "old" WRX engine that sometimes had issues . . . the new engine (so far -- it's still pretty darned new so not a lot of folks have piled on a ton of mileage on them) seems to be very solid so far in stock form from everything I've read.

Honestly, while having a fun and sporty car is important to me . . . having a reliable and safe car is even more important. If I had any serious reservations about the WRX I would have bought a Honda Accord or Civic SI . . . as you may note . . . I chose the WRX. If you're planning on keeping this stock and not driving like a madman I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The GTI's "scotch tape" seats were an immediate turn off. I just couldn't look past them. I know, most claim they're "chic".

As for the WRX, the "austere" interior is much better than it used to be. Not saying too much, though.

As far as the WRX goes, under-steer to me is practically non-existent, unless I turn off the traction control. Seems like the "active torque vectoring" mitigates much of it.

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
The GTI's "scotch tape" seats were an immediate turn off. I just couldn't look past them. I know, most claim they're "chic".

As for the WRX, the "austere" interior is much better than it used to be. Not saying too much, though.

As far as the WRX goes, under-steer to me is practically non-existent, unless I turn off the traction control. Seems like the "active torque vectoring" mitigates much of it.
You're simply not pushing it hard enough. The understeer is definitely there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Your friend is referring to the reputation from the EJ motor in the previous generation of WRX and current STI. Our motors have a nasty reputation for ringland and bearing failures, sometimes completely unprovoked. The reported failures of the FA WRX motors don't seem to be any more common than any other enthusiast group I've ever belonged to.

You're simply not pushing it hard enough.
Sadly, this is also me. My race car really doesn't get race car'd.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You're simply not pushing it hard enough. The understeer is definitely there.

Yeah, I can see this happening if there's loose gravel or I exceed laws of inertia, but you're right - I don't push the car to it's limits where I'd exceed the ecu-controlled wheel braking...er, I mean "torque vectoring"...mechanics. I do drive it spiritedly, however.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
It still understeer on pavement. Torque vectoring is not stability management. Torque vectoring is yaw control.

I have no idea what point you are making but pushing it or not the cars understeer, it's just the nature of the beast. They are more neutral than some AWD cars, and understeer worse than others.

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
I guess being used to the understeer of the GTI i came from the WRX almost feels like it's oversteering :rotfl:
If set up that way, you can make a WRX oversteer, but it is very difficult in factory trim.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah I've definitely experienced under steering on several occasions with my '16 WRX. It's in those moments that I wonder would the STi have remained on the intended course throughout the turn.

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
Real torque vectoring is. The WRX's is nothing more than the "slipping" outside wheel(s) being braked.
That's not quite how it works...

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
Yeah I've definitely experienced under steering on several occasions with my '16 WRX. It's in those moments that I wonder would the STi have remained on the intended course throughout the turn.
Likely, no.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts