Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The AWD Dodge Challenger GT is ready to muscle Old Man Winter | Fox News

My guess and its only a guess is that weighing around 1000 pounds more its going to be even slower then the WRX. In addition the AWD is not all the time AWD.

However this is a good sign of more affordable AWD type sporty choices that are affordable. Maybe if it does well it will get more horses and less weight.

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
They are drag boats, nothing sporty about them. The added weight of the AWD system in the already porky chassis makes them uninteresting. It's basically the charger AWD with a challenger body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I really like the looks/style of the challenger. But if I were ever to own one I just can't see it being anything but a V8. Kinda defeats the purpose of classic American muscle to not have a V8 in it, for me. Plus as you say I think a wrx would be quicker and even more so on snow with the symmetrical awd.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Challenger is rather large from any point of view. Actual size, actual weight and actually the way it drives. Big, heavy and plow straight ahead handling are what they are. The higher horsepower models offer cool acceleration, mountains of torque and the thrill that big bore V8s give at any place in the power band.

The smaller engine models lack those ingredients.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I don't require AWD, RWD is perfectly acceptable to me, and I agree about not wanting the V6..but I may have a programmed "stigma" about that. Back in my formative years with domestic muscle cars, you went V8 or you went home. Or you were trying to "look" like you were into muscle cars, but didn't want to spend the money, lol.

But if I'm getting modern American muscle, it will be the Camaro SS, at this point. Lighter, and seems to have an outstanding chassis, from reports.

·
Registered
104 Posts
But if I'm getting modern American muscle, it will be the Camaro SS, at this point. Lighter, and seems to have an outstanding chassis, from reports.
IMHO, those reports are accurate. I had my first chance to be "Up Close and Personal" with a 2017 ZL1 on Sunday at one of the cruise ins. We were parked next to each other. After seeing, being inside and hearing that thing, I am soooooo glad that I have already bought what I did. If not, standing in line with a stack of ~$65K of dead presidents saying I'll take the next one in. Man that thing looks and sounds mean!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only time and reason I would consider the Camaro, Mustang or Challenger is if I was going to get a RWD V8. If you are going to be that heavy, you might as well have the V8's power to go with it.

BTW: ditto on the new ZL1 - for what it is, that car is a beast. Can't wait to see what they will do to the Vette's Z06/07 to put it back on top, especially if the mid-engine C8 rumor proves to be true.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I hope they do it, just for the weight balance that comes with it, but Chevy's been teasing the world with the possibility of a mid-engine Vette for decades, lol.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,791 Posts
From Chrysler rental cars, I think the plastics they use have an odd odor as they outgas and it gives me a headache. I can't spend much time in one. The car itself is fine actually but I can't sit in it.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,791 Posts
That's really odd. I wonder if it's some sort of treatment or something. I assumed it was common to all their cars but maybe the rental companies spray something or other. Gave me a headache.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I scored a challenger from hertz last year and the v6 was a bit pokey with rwd, awd isn't going to make it better. I don't know if it was engine management or trans but when I tried dropping the hammer it was like "oh you actually want me to go? Pause ...ok" This will also probably hurt the mpg which were surprisingly good in the rwd.

Complaints aside I had a lot of fun driving it. It gets a TON of style points. I just felt like a movie Villian driving it around. Where's Steve McQueen I must chase him.
Ilike the 15+ mustang better overall though if we're talking cruisers.

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
I was actually surprised with that pentastar. It wasn't really ideal in my Jeep but in my mom's Cherokee and the challenger I drove it was more than i expected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
From Chrysler rental cars, I think the plastics they use have an odd odor as they outgas and it gives me a headache. I can't spend much time in one. The car itself is fine actually but I can't sit in it.
Also could be rental fleet cleaners. I thought the Kia I rented in Pheonix last summer stank because new car smell + 115* heat. Eventually relalized that Avis did a mediocre job cleaning what I assume was vomit out of the interior.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
imo depends on WRX year and if any mods...

I drove a few chargers/challengers and just was not impressed at all... they can pull on higher speeds on the highway but... just way too big and heavy for my taste...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.