ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you purchase a WRX or a Saab 9-2X Aero? I love the WRX (as much as can be disregarding STI) and all it offers. Since the STI is out of my range, some friends believe the Saab would be a better choice since it is less common (the cars appear and drive the same). Any advice?

·
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
What do you prefer more? Street/ performance appeal or luxury appeal? The Saab appears much more luxury to the common person. I think it just looks too plain (something about that spoiler on the back). Saab vs Subaru dealers would also be something to think about.

·
Registered
956 Posts
thought I saw one the other day. almost did a double take. skinny tires. might have been just a impreza model though that I saw.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Test drive them both and pick the one you like most! IMHO the only reson to buy the saab is for the name. Are you buying the car to buy it or to brag about? If it's the latter, the Saab may fit the bill. If you're buying the car to drive it and enjoy it, then the name is irrelevant... buy the WRX.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
The price would be enough to deter me. >$30,000 for a WRX with the Saab badge, sound deadening, and a few frills? When I could buy an STi for a smidge more? Wouldn't happen. After the test drives, I'd drive home in the STi for sure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i donno what anyone says about appeal for saab.
i dont see saab as really anything special. woooo....it is from sweden. what's so good about sweden anyways?
the badge is worth nothing IMO. but you do get bigger wheels, a sunroof, xenon lights (definitely wish i had that) and a nicer front end. couple extra ground, nah...

no offense to swedish decents, its a fine country. fine women. but i aint really impressed by your so called vehicles (volvo=ford - saab=gm). is it really yours?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
id just get the WRX and save the 4K. dont get the saab **** man.

but since you are a baller and all.... You might as well just wait and get the STi, but thats probably not the case, so in that price range... id recommend.

03 Mitsubishi Evolution

or

04 Mitsubishi Evolution RS

03 is nicer... like... style wise and interior.. power locks / windows.. basic **** that the RS doesnt have.

but the 04 RS has AYD and It seems that the new EVOs are pretty BEAST. 13 second miles and front + center differntial = AMAZING CONTROL!

I love subaru and all... but those new EVOs are just out of hand

go for the RS. you wont be disappointed

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
saab really screwed up with this one in my opinion. Not only are loyal WRXers against the Saab, but most "in the know" car enthusiasts are goin to know that the Saab is just a glorified(and i use that term loosely) WRX. The only people i can see buying this car are middle aged professionals who dont really know their salt in the car department. I wonder how long the 9-2x is goin to last.

·
Registered
483 Posts
No offense, but IMHO, that's not a Saab.

When the guts of that car is built by Subaru, it's a Subaru.

It's a WRX modded by Saab.

Buy the WRX.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The turbo 9-2x, affectionately dubbed the 'Saabaru', has the exact same drivetrain (engine, tranny, awd setup) as the WRX. It is built in the same plant on the same assembly line. Except the 9-2x aero gets the benefit of quicker steering (STI rack), 17 inch wheels, more sound deadening insulation, no roof rails, retuned suspension w/ some Sti parts, 5yr/50,000 warranty, 2 years free maintenance and factory leather option.

I was pissed at first that GM forced Subaru to give up the treasured WRX to Saab. However, the 9-2x is a fine car and Saab has only made what I see as enhancements to an already great platform. A few of the improvements made by Saab have found their way into the 2005 WRX which is nice (i.e. center console).

I like the Saabaru.

·
48,699 Posts
Nails said:
The turbo 9-2x, affectionately dubbed the 'Saabaru', has the exact same drivetrain (engine, tranny, awd setup) as the WRX. It is built in the same plant on the same assembly line. Except the 9-2x aero gets the benefit of quicker steering (STI rack), 17 inch wheels, more sound deadening insulation, no roof rails, retuned suspension w/ some Sti parts, 5yr/50,000 warranty, 2 years free maintenance and factory leather option.

I was pissed at first that GM forced Subaru to give up the treasured WRX to Saab. However, the 9-2x is a fine car and Saab has only made what I see as enhancements to an already great platform. A few of the improvements made by Saab have found their way into the 2005 WRX which is nice (i.e. center console).

I like the Saabaru.
So at $30K, you'd get a Saabaru (a WRX with sound deadening and some STi parts) over an actual, USDM STi? Just curious.

·
48,699 Posts
driverj said:
So what's your point? :p
Can't you tell how neutral I am on the issue?:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
you're entitled to your opinion, it's okay to be neutral. anybody who doesnt like this car doesnt like the wrx. but i think the point of this string is how the $4k is justified? and i agree, it doesnt. at least it still looks nice.

·
48,699 Posts
express_wagon said:
you're entitled to your opinion, it's okay to be neutral.
Uhh, I think you missed the joke. I'm not neutral on the issue; I feel strongly that the 9-2X is not a good value, when compared to other cars you could purchase for a comparable amount of money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First let me say there is no way you can get a new USDM Sti for 30k. More like 32-34k.

I am making the case that the 9-2x is just a higher factory trim level. 17 inch wheels are at least 1k right there. The sti suspension parts, leather, what amounts to an extended warranty & maintenance plan, unique interior/exterior and all the rest of the package factory installed is in the ballpark of the price of the 9-2x in my opinion.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer or want a base version of the car to mod to your liking, you won't think the 9-2x is a good value. You are not the market for this car.

I think that more choices is a good thing. The WRX wagon is the only turbo wagon its class. There is room in the WRX universe for a less utilitarian, more up-scale styled variant.

If I were interested in buying a wagon, the 9-2x would be something to consider. It will be unique as not as many will be on the streets compared to the WRX. As it is, I am a sedan guy and am perfectly happy in my sonic yellow bug-eyed 2003.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts