ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was cleaning out my trunk bay and realized there was a small crack where the trunk floor and back wall meet. im not the first owner so i dont know what happend or if its normal with other bugeyes. is there supposed to be a gap there?
i also noticed an assload of caulking in the edges along the trunk which i am not sure if its supposed to be there.

i was also wondering if this section in red was replaceable. it looks like there was some damage which i do not know how it happened, but it is crooked and higher on the driver side.

its hard to tell in pix but in person its really crooked. anybody know what i could do?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm wondering if your car was in a rear-end collision at some point.

Any part of a car is replaceable, but things like that would need to be cut out and either you'd need to fix/straighten the piece you have, or cut one out of a donor car. Why are you concerned about fixing it?

For that gap in the trunk, I'd get some sealant and seal up that crack to make sure water isn't getting through it somehow.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The crack you can grind out all the old sealant with a small grinder or one of those paint remover brushes that you attach to a drill, it will also remove the paint. Take it to a muffler shop on an empty tank and have them weld or tack it so it doesn't move anymore. They might drop the gas tank down to do this and charge you but you might have some movement there and that's why the old seal broke up. Once all that is done go to the auto store and buy the spray can truck bed line (ghetto rhino lining) and new sealant. Reseal the area then spray the area you scraped the paint off, make sure there is no bare metal. The easy way would be to just apply some new sealant and keep an eye on it.

As for the bent part... leave it alone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would welding the crack be a good idea? or any other section that looks like its coming apart?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts