ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchasing a 2020 WRX but have been reading posts and reviews as to reliability issues with the transmission. Probably would opt for manual trans. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated to aid in my decision.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
Don't drive like an ass and modify the crap out of and it will probably be fine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Considering purchasing a 2020 WRX but have been reading posts and reviews as to reliability issues with the transmission. Probably would opt for manual trans. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated to aid in my decision.
I’m actually in the market as well and want the 2020 soooo bad but after doing some reasearch I hear nothing but bad things about the transmission and also the clutch. I was actually supposed to buy one Thursday afternoon. I pulled out of the deal last minute in fear of future problems. If you get one please keep me updated on how you feel about it. I want a WRX but I don’t want the financial burden of owning own if it goes to shit.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
I’m actually in the market as well and want the 2020 soooo bad but after doing some reasearch I hear nothing but bad things about the transmission and also the clutch. I was actually supposed to buy one Thursday afternoon. I pulled out of the deal last minute in fear of future problems. If you get one please keep me updated on how you feel about it. I want a WRX but I don’t want the financial burden of owning own if it goes to shit.
No you don't. You hear clutch issues and 90+ % are bad driving habits causing issues. The manual in the 2015+ actually drives quite nice

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Yes. I'm telling you that what your mind deducted from what you read is entirely contrary to the reality.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,003 Posts
XJ's right.

Play it safe though: don't buy a 2020 anyway.

·
29,003 Posts
Eric Cantona explained it best. “`When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.”

Cantona remains an absolute genius.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eric Cantona explained it best. “`When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.”

Cantona remains an absolute genius.
So you’re saying make a sizable investment with no research and hope for the best? Lol why are a boatload of people offering up the same mechanical issues if this isn’t a real problem? I reached out to try and get some advice not to be shit on by people on their high horses. This community is kinda shit if you ask me

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Forum bitching does not equal most people. It actually represents the overwhelming minority. Because the only people who have issues complain.

They sold probably 150k or more of the wrx vehicles. Did you find 76k complaints? Probably not. More like .01%

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did not see that many. But the complaints that I am seeing are consistent. This is not to say that I haven’t read good reviews but even consumer reports give it low marks. Hence why I reached out here. To get some feedback on the newer models. I don’t want to drop 10k on down payment, trade in my reliable car and take on a $400+ payment every month just to get myself a car with transmission issues I’m now going to have to deal with for the next 5-7 years of owning a car.

·
29,003 Posts
So you’re saying make a sizable investment with no research and hope for the best? Lol why are a boatload of people offering up the same mechanical issues if this isn’t a real problem? I reached out to try and get some advice not to be shit on by people on their high horses. This community is kinda shit if you ask me
No.

I’m saying don’t buy the car.

It’s absolutely the safest thing to do.

It cannot fail you if you don’t own it.

EDIT: Just saw this:

This community is kinda shit if you ask me
Nobody did.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
I did not see that many. But the complaints that I am seeing are consistent. This is not to say that I haven’t read good reviews but even consumer reports give it low marks. Hence why I reached out here. To get some feedback on the newer models. I don’t want to drop 10k on down payment, trade in my reliable car and take on a $400+ payment every month just to get myself a car with transmission issues I’m now going to have to deal with for the next 5-7 years of owning a car.
The facts are the wrx and sti are not consumer reports vehicles. They are by nature finicky, unreliable, inefficient, economy cars with a turbo.

They are slower than most of the mid sized cars in their class, more expensive to maintain, less luxurious, less efficient, and more expensive for what you get. It's all part of the class.

If you are worried about consumer reports you are shopping for the wrong vehicle. As for the transmission, it's fine. The clutch noise is just what it is and does not hinder the durability of the unit. It's just bothersome.

As for the community being shit. You can go to Reddit or Facebook and have a bunch of know nothings feed you exactly what you want to hear instead of the facts. I've been around the automotive forums for a long time and outside of pirate 4x4 this is the single greatest car forum I've found.

Information is to the point, your feelings are not facts, what you think you need and what you really need are not the same, and we know what the shortcomings of the vehicles are. you do you though. You seem to already have formulated your facts based off of a fraction of a percentage point of owners.

·
Registered
274 Posts
All cars have issues that are blown out of proportion on the forums. The Subaru 6 speed is a good transmission. Just treat it with respect. If you look on the Mustang forums, you will see pages of posts on the MT82 transmission. The 997 - 911 Porsche has the well documented IMS bearing failure. The Jaguar XK8 had a plastic (really did and we had to have it replaced) timing chain. There have been oil pump failures in the 2017-2018 ZL1. The GT350 had a bit of an engine failure issue. Some of these were blown way out of proportion. If you just did your research on the forums, you likely would think that every ZL1 has had the oil pump fail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts