ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 WRX with bad transmission. It appears that I need to replace the entire transmission. I am currently looking for a replacement, but will other year manual transmissions such as 02 03 or 05 fit into my 04 WRX?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
DON'T get a 2002... it has weaker gears than the 03-05. All three of those transmissions are the same. I can't remember which years got rid of the axle stubs.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
USDM wrx's started getting 2.5L in 2006

·
Registered
4 Posts
so I really need help here... ive posted this on several sites ust trying to get an answer...
I have an 02 wrx and the tranny went out 2 weeks ago, I bought an 05 tranny that has 40k miles on it and installed it with a new oem clutch kit, and swapped the front axles. Bleed everything and not the pedal still has little to no pressure and it has been bleed 4 times, and... the car seems to jolt and jar instead of building up speed. I am at a loss here and im not sure where to begin, I love my bugeye and want to TO LOOK AT NEXT AND WHAT TO TRY! feel free to even text me with an answer, 502 558 9742, my name is mason

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Both are pull style clutches, so it should have pressure. Is the fork installed correctly? Did you put that goofy looking bolt back in? If it's not pulling the throwout bearing against the pressure plate, then you wouldn't have any pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
its always easier to let someone sit in it and experience it themselves in this situation.... but I have to push the clutch 3/4s of the way down before it will engage. I had a transmission shop do all of the work, so i got the ok from them and then picked it up and nothing is right...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Take it back to the shop that did the work if you think something is wrong

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey will my 04 tranny bolt up and and work with all the rest of the 02 drivetrain? i just blew my second gear and i have a 04 from a old project sittin around but cant confirm anywhere if it will work...any one know?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So your saying the 06's have the 6MT trany's, because of the 2.5 litre; "why" or should I say "explain this to me"?
I'm new to the Sub'e world.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
So your saying the 06's have the 6MT trany's, because of the 2.5 litre; "why" or should I say "explain this to me"?
I re-read this thread multiple times and I don't see anywhere where it states 06, 2.5L have 6 speed transmissions.

Anyway, all 2002-2014 USDM wrx's have 5 speeds regardless of engine type. It wasn't until 2015 that they had 6 speeds

·
Æternum
20,668 Posts
It might be in your best interest to reread the thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So when and where then 6MT used? I'm assuming in the STI models then?
And also is the 2.5 litre use a different style of bell housing and this is why after 05 the transmission don't fit onto the earlier WRX 2.0 litre? Or am I misunderstanding this?

·
Æternum
20,668 Posts
So when and where then 6MT used? I'm assuming in the STI models then?
2004-2006 STi use one style of transmission (no torsen center diff w/ DCCD, 35:65 F:R split, and gear ratio 'A')

2007-present STi use another style transmission (torsen center diff + DCCD, 41:59 F:R split, gear ratio 'B')

2007 Legacy GT Spec B (viscous center diff, no DCCD, front open diff, gear ratio 'C,' and 4.11:1 F/D)

And also is the 2.5 litre use a different style of bell housing and this is why after 05 the transmission don't fit onto the earlier WRX 2.0 litre? Or am I misunderstanding this?
You're misunderstanding this. It is not an issue with the bell housing. The 2006-2007 WRX has a different prop shaft drive ratio and rear diff ratio. The effective F/D ratio is 3.9:1, but by means of a 3.7:1 transmission drive and 1.1:1 rear diff modifier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok heres some info for you

02-03 uses a smaller 3rd and 2nd gear

late 03 and 05 got a upgraded 3rd gear

02-05 transmissions especially the wrx trannies all mate wiht no issues the only diff is the 02-early 04 has axle stubs coming out of the transmission
late 04 and up doesnt and you need male axles

now all of the transmission will mate with your block. rs rs sport wrx and sti will all mate doesnt matter if its a 2.5 or 2.0 the bell housing is the same.. thats why you can swap a sti tranmission into a 02 wrx from any year.

you can do a ppg gear but expect to pay a crap ton of money. you can do a 06-7sti transmission swap which is cheaper and the rear diff doesnt need to be changed but you need a automatic driveshaft and the axle stubs

there are alot of tutorials just pm me for info..

also i have done all of the above swaps on diff wrxs and have done alot of research on swaps

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm going throught the same thing and havnt found any direct answers I hve a 02 wrx 2.0 as well and found a trans out of an 03 . Will I have to use the axels and the diff out of the 03 or will my 02 stuff work. The dude I got the car from replaced the diff 2 days before the trans blew .. Could he have put in the wrong diff ? How do I tell count the ring gear ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I was talking about the diff as well . So I got the new trans installed and is butter . I was driving it for the firt time and when I hit about 60mph the car starts shaking violently all the way down to 0 mph then when I speed up again drives perfectly with no shaking until about 60 mph ?! What the hell could this be . Wheels are balanced and have new lower ball joints and tie rods ? I'm stumped . Could I have the wrong diff ? Or would it not drive at all if I did ? Or could it be my driveline . Someone pint me in the right direction everything is tight .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts