Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting a new car after having vw buy back my Jetta TDI, and the wrx has been what I am really leaning towards. I found a '13 wrx near me on craigslist, and has a hitch on it. First question, are hitches aftermarket, or is it a option strait from Subaru? Also, I have a hobiecat 16' catamaran sail boat, and being to tow it behind this car would be really convenient. The boat and the trailer only weigh at most 300lbs, and from front to back of trailer it is probably 18 or 19 ft long. Is this too much for a WRX? Thanks! Non STI btw.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Interweb says the cat itself is 320lbs. Add a couple hundred for the trailer. 500-600lbs. You are fine towing that.
Pretty sure factory does not offer wrx hitches and never did.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Interweb says the cat itself is 320lbs. Add a couple hundred for the trailer. 500-600lbs. You are fine towing that.
Pretty sure factory does not offer wrx hitches and never did.
As far as I know Subaru does not recommend towing anything with the WRX. That said, theoretically any vehicle could tow something really light. There are stresses on the frame and with the cooling system for instance that could be an issue if you were hauling something fairly heavy a long distance or at a significant grade. People always overestimate a) the capacity they can tow and b) their skill at towing. In general you want to be towing quite a bit less than your vehicles tow capacity (20% or so), otherwise you are asking for trouble.

No exactly relevant, but my fiancee got a hitch for her Fiat 500L for a bike rack and they made her sign a waiver she would not TOW anything with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Towing capacity of a WRX is 0.

Sure It'll tow it, but you have to think if you get in a wreck, will insurance cover you or the other party for towing?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts
So I am getting a new car after having vw buy back my Jetta TDI, and the wrx has been what I am really leaning towards. I found a '13 wrx near me on craigslist, and has a hitch on it. First question, are hitches aftermarket, or is it a option strait from Subaru? Also, I have a hobiecat 16' catamaran sail boat, and being to tow it behind this car would be really convenient. The boat and the trailer only weigh at most 300lbs, and from front to back of trailer it is probably 18 or 19 ft long. Is this too much for a WRX? Thanks! Non STI btw.
Usually people only install these sorts of hitches on WRXs for the hitch-mount bike racks. Subaru does not recommend towing anything with the WRX, and they haven't since 2008. Before that, they did give a 2000# towing capacity in the owners manual for the WRX, but didn't offer any factory hitch options.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Do not tow with your WRX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Me personally . . . I wouldn't tow anything with the WRX . . . then again I also have a Nissan Titan for those times when I need to tow the toys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know a couple of guys that made hitches for their WRX's and tow 4'x4' utility trailers that hold their autocross tires and tools to & from events. My guess is that the setup weighs 300 lbs tops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts