Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lease was up on the '16 WRX base, moved to an '18 STi. My thoughts on 5 days of ownership for anyone thinking they might do the same eventually. First, I had never driven an STi prior to last Saturday, I got my WRX and was perfectly happy with it. I actually thought that would be my 10 year car. Then I thought why not at least check out the STi to be sure I'm not missing out on something if I'm going to spend 10 years or more with a Subaru. Well, that drive is literally all it took to walk away from my Ice Silver WRX.
Now listen to me closely, the folks that say the STi and the WRX are not that much different, have not spent enough time in an Sti. This is a totally different experience in every way. The steering is heavier in a good way, the short shifter is better, and closer, the power delivery is just awesome. I'm not sensing torque vectoring, that may have been replaced for 2018 I need to look into that. But I don't sense the brakes jamming on when I get a little sideways in the Minnesota snow like the WRX did.
Heated seats are awesome, I don't have the Recaro's, but I love the alcontera(spelling?) STi seats, just the right amount of bolstering for me.
The subi rumble, OH the rumble, so nice so nice. Knowing that may be a thing of the past after this year makes it all that much sweeter to own one now. I realize the motor is 10 years old, doesn't bother me.

Fuel efficiency is down by a few points, I pulled about 300 miles out of the first tank. I'm sure the WRX was 360 or something.

The suspension is NOT NEARLY as bad as reviews would have you believe. It's hardly noticeable actually. In fact when I drove my WRX on I94 north of the cities here my WRX would bounce up and down for about 10 miles from Maple Grove to Rogers area. NOT with the Sti, it just absorbed it, no bouncing down the road. I haven't had the chance to get on it since I'm at 200 miles on the car, so more on the power some other day.

The brakes are simply awesome, not squishy like the WRX was.

Loving life at the moment, terrific car. WRB with the wing.

·
Banned
289 Posts
!

now take it to the track on all seasons!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
delivered with yokohama summers, so i'll never run all seasons. Have blizzaks on there now with my EVO 10 rims :) YES, I confuse people at stops when they see the mitsu symbol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lease was up on the '16 WRX base, moved to an '18 STi. My thoughts on 5 days of ownership for anyone thinking they might do the same eventually. First, I had never driven an STi prior to last Saturday, I got my WRX and was perfectly happy with it. I actually thought that would be my 10 year car. Then I thought why not at least check out the STi to be sure I'm not missing out on something if I'm going to spend 10 years or more with a Subaru. Well, that drive is literally all it took to walk away from my Ice Silver WRX.
Now listen to me closely, the folks that say the STi and the WRX are not that much different, have not spent enough time in an Sti. This is a totally different experience in every way. The steering is heavier in a good way, the short shifter is better, and closer, the power delivery is just awesome. I'm not sensing torque vectoring, that may have been replaced for 2018 I need to look into that. But I don't sense the brakes jamming on when I get a little sideways in the Minnesota snow like the WRX did.
Heated seats are awesome, I don't have the Recaro's, but I love the alcontera(spelling?) STi seats, just the right amount of bolstering for me.
The subi rumble, OH the rumble, so nice so nice. Knowing that may be a thing of the past after this year makes it all that much sweeter to own one now. I realize the motor is 10 years old, doesn't bother me.

Fuel efficiency is down by a few points, I pulled about 300 miles out of the first tank. I'm sure the WRX was 360 or something.

The suspension is NOT NEARLY as bad as reviews would have you believe. It's hardly noticeable actually. In fact when I drove my WRX on I94 north of the cities here my WRX would bounce up and down for about 10 miles from Maple Grove to Rogers area. NOT with the Sti, it just absorbed it, no bouncing down the road. I haven't had the chance to get on it since I'm at 200 miles on the car, so more on the power some other day.

The brakes are simply awesome, not squishy like the WRX was.

Loving life at the moment, terrific car. WRB with the wing.
Congrats BTW Its a sweet car!! and screw the haters on the EJ's. they are just made it doesnt sound as good.

P.S Dont ever tint your windshield! and if you do.... tell no one!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Congrats, the car looks great!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats BTW Its a sweet car!! and screw the haters on the EJ's. they are just made it doesnt sound as good.

P.S Dont ever tint your windshield! and if you do.... tell no one!
Just wondering, why not tint the windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts

Doing so is insane. It completely kills night visibility, is illegal unless you have a serious medical condition, and just looks silly in most folks eyes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well damn, I was going to say the sun is my medical condition hahah. I’m virtually blind by the sun

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Well damn, I was going to say the sun is my medical condition hahah. I’m virtually blind by the sun

Sunglasses. This topic goes around for ages. Everyone has a different personal example so the point is moot.

·
Banned
289 Posts

Because people here think If you tint the windshield and get T boned by a drunk driver...it'll be your fault

No really, I'm not making this up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Because people here think If you tint the windshield and get T boned by a drunk driver...it'll be your fault

No really, I'm not making this up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
If you are drinking and driving and get hit by someone who blows a red light. You are at fault because you are drunk and shouldn't be there.

If you are in your car with a tinted windshield at night and you are involved in an accident where there is any question to fault you are absolutely going to catch the heat because the tinted window is

1. Illegal
2. Detrimental to vision
3. Considered to impede the opperation of the vehicle.

Good luck.

Edit just for follow-up. I know this from experience personally. Unless you have a heck of a DUI lawyer you are considered the reckless party. When my trial went before a jury it wasn't even a contest. Steve misread what was said in a previous comment to fit his argument.

Most states have DUI and aggravated dui. Aggravated dui is when you were to blow the red light and hit a car while drunk.

Improper, unsafe, or modifications declared to impede proper and safe function of a vehicle will land you in the same boat. The line is blurry for certain things however anything outlined specifically in the states statutes will be hard to fight.

Get into an accident where you injure someone seriously and your truck is taller than frame/bumper laws allow. Even if the fault wasn't your own you'll be footing the bill as at fault because that state has determined that that lift is unsafe and dangerous for yourself and other drivers.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
dead.

im pretty sure tinting windshield is illegal?

thanks for the honest feedback on wrx to sti.
It is without a medical reason that usually (read is supposed to be) limited to those with life threatening adverse reactions to sunlight, or has a long history of skin cancers. There are a few eye issues but they are not common that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
338 Posts
thanks for posting. now I want an STi more. lol

1 - 20 of 60 Posts