Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently doing a feasability study for a two or three fan tray that would sit on top of the Stock or STi TMIC and cool it when the vehicle was stopped or traveling. Here is what I came up with using two 12v fans on the stock IC and three 12v fans on the STi IC.

With the stock IC and two fans, I can generate air flow equal to the air ingested by the scoop while traveling 45-50mph.

With the STi IC and three fans, I can generate air flow equal to the air ingested by the scoop while traveling 65-70mph.

I need the exact dimension Height, Width, Depth of IC and Lip to make a 100% assessment of the STi IC fan tray. If anyone has these, please post them on this thread.

Would anyone be interested in this fan tray if I were to develop it? I'm thinking it would be absolutely fantastic for cooling the IC and engine while at the track. Also, if you leave the fans active while running, the air flow would be at 50mph until you reached 50mph in which case the air flow should accelerate the fans without decreasing the incoming air velcity by too much. Else, the fans could be removed prior to the run.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, but I would prefer something (I don't know the feasibility of this at all, mind you :) that mounted UNDER the intercooler and PULLED air through the unit so that it could stay there all the time and never impede airflow. Enough room under there for 1 fan? :)

Mahalo,
Richard...

P.S. Grats on the "race WReX" :)

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
my biggest concern here would be the fan blades BLOCKING air flow while you are moving. even if it's just disturbing the flow, i can't justify better cooling while at idle, when you REALLY need it in motion.

dR

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pace said:
If the IC fans were able to move enough air to simulate a 100mph scoop effect, it seems like impedance of the flow would be a non issue.

Would you be able to source fans powerful enough to satisfy that requirement?

Another idea: A 'portable' setup that fits over your IC and keeps it cool while in the staging lanes. Remove it for your run. You'd just need a quick-disconnect eletrical connector.

-Pace

My goals for the fans are: run them on 12VDC, fit them under the hood scoop with the hood closed, make them easy to install and remove (quick disconnect), get as much air flow (CFM) as possible. I can honestly say that I don't think I can achieve 100mph air flow equivalent on tubeaxial fans. The thing we are forgetting is that the IC will be receiving MORE air flow than usual up until the vehicle speed provides more air than the fans. This is for a little over 1/2 of the 1/4 mile typically.

-Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Variable pitch fans would be cool. I'm sure the only application for variable pitch blades is on airplane props. But if you could use them, it would be possible to pull air until the right point in time, when you could make the blades parallel with the airflow and severely reduce the disturbance.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i still like the idea of piping some ganz flow from the fender using one of those "electronic superchargers." that i mentioned to you and pace. they're pretty cheap at a marine supplier.

one to the turbo, one to the IC. (or just one period) i think any air movement under there would make a drastic difference in heatsoak, even if it's less flow than would be seen at moving speeds through the scoop.

dR

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree. I was in on the discussion about fans before, and it sounds like a viable solution, but I cannot, definitively be sure without testing that the fans won't hinder air flow at higher speeds. This is the same problem my brother and I came up with when we were originally discussing cooling ideas. I think this idea is worth TRYING, but I think much testing will need to be done in a controlled test with temperature and air-speed sensing devices.

Anyone with a really good FLUKE, they have adapters that you can test air-flow with. You could actually measure the air-flow out the back side of the intercooler while at rest and at speed and see how they differ. That along with Intake temp @ the throttle body should give you enough data to see what happens in real world situations.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I DO like the idea of blowing cooler air on the turbo very much. I'm running with my heat-sheilds off and that area of the engine bay gets so hot, when I park, you can FEEL and SEE the heat pouring out of the front-right wheel well and hoot seams after hard runs. Some good air-flow with a GOOD marine pump should push a lot of that hot air out the bottom and back of the engine bay.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Probably a dumb idea, but what about *somehow* venting ac air directly at the IC? Since the issue is heat soak and this is primarily only encountered in stop and go traffic or while staging, if you could somehow vent ac air right at the ic, you could probably do some significant cooling using the ac and then shut if off right before a run for maximum power output. ...Since the car already has an air cooling system, there has got to be some inventive way to use if for ic cooling as well...

·
Registered
310 Posts
If I am a reqular 1/4 mile guy I will absolutely install a N20 or a CO2 chill system on the intercooler. 14 sec of perfectly cool air will keep the power curve and boost lvl pretty constant which should give a more consistant run :D

For now I am using the DIY STI nozzle water spray system :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts