Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I have a 95 turbo Eclipse. I had some problems and I'm going to sell the car and get one of the followings.
WRX, RSX-s of GTS.

I am VERY short in time and I need answers quick ,because my transportation to school is having problems and I have exam all week. SO PLEASE HELP!! I really appreciate it.

I really want WRX, but I have to ask some questions, because I am totally new to subaru world.
If it is ok I hope many people can give me GOod info.
Thanks.

First, Is there any turbo that can be replaced without a mod.(BOLT ON TURBO)
2nd, how much PSI are WRXs running at stock?
3rd, is there any manufacture's defects on WRXs that you guys have found yet?( LIKE eclipse has ball joint problems and CRANKWALK)
4th, How much boost can a stock BOV stand up to?
5th, anyone know how reliable the car is?
6th, Does BOV dump back into intake? or atmosphere?
7th, What is an expected(normal...not like a time that some company post up that nobody can really pull) time for wrx?
0-60, 60', 1/8, and 1/4 mile.
8th, What kind of turbo is the stock turbo.
9th, intake, exhaust, downpipe, and few other basic bolt ons(if available....) how much HP gain would you be expecting?
10th, How does it handle and is there any luxury feature on WRX.
11th, How's the insurance cost?
12th, Would you buy it again?

Thanks guys. I know I'm asking a LOT of questions, but like I said I need the car fast and I'm posting similar questions to other car forums. Thanks again, and I hope I can be a WRX owner instead of other cars...and I WILL all the answers are pretty good. thanks again.

·
1,911 Posts
First, Is there any turbo that can be replaced without a mod.(BOLT ON TURBO)

Yes, many. The largest are the PE turbos capable of over 400 HP.

2nd, how much PSI are WRXs running at stock?

13.5 PSI

3rd, is there any manufacture's defects on WRXs that you guys have found yet?( LIKE eclipse has ball joint problems and CRANKWALK)

Just have to be careful with the trans is all. Otherwise pretty damn solid.

4th, How much boost can a stock BOV stand up to?

A lot. No need to change unless you like the sound.

5th, anyone know how reliable the car is?

Very but not as reliable as Toyota or Honda. It has it's minor things but nothing major.

6th, Does BOV dump back into intake? or atmosphere?

Intake although doesn't matter too much. I have it venting to atmosphere now with a Blitz BOV.

7th, What is an expected(normal...not like a time that some company post up that nobody can really pull) time for wrx?
0-60, 60', 1/8, and 1/4 mile.

The fastest ones are running low to mid 12's. Records should be dropping into the 11's ths summer though.

8th, What kind of turbo is the stock turbo.

Mitsu TD04L

9th, intake, exhaust, downpipe, and few other basic bolt ons(if available....) how much HP gain would you be expecting?

Not a huge amount without changing the turbo. Maybe 275 HP at the max.

10th, How does it handle and is there any luxury feature on WRX.

No luxury, but if you want Luxury buy an M3. Handling is fair. Not bad, certainly not great.

11th, How's the insurance cost?

Same as my old Type R. Kinda high for a wagon.

12th, Would you buy it again?

Yeppers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

HEY GOD!
Thanks a lot.
that was a FAST REPLY and it gave me some ideas about WRX.
Wellz..I do have some more questions after hearing the answers.

First, when you dump the BOV to the atmosphere, does it have idle problem? Because my eclipse did when I DUMPED IT OUT to atmosph.
Second, I was asking about the stock time for WRX.
I'm sure it varies, but at the average..what should I be expecting?

Also when you said watch the tranny? What do you mean? Is the tranny weak like accord v6?( may tranny prb with v6 accord. 5 of my friends' changed their tranny least twice in 30000 miles. of course for free due to warranty!!)

Thanks again.
I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree w/God in every aspect...

Damn he's quick though...hahaha

Oh, and if you want stock 1/4 times:

0-60: Normal drivers are averaging 5.5-5.7

60': Usually around 1.7-1.9, again normal drivers

1/8: No clue, lol

1/4: Seems the average stock is ~14.4-14.6 in the neighborhood of 95mph

·
1,911 Posts
Re: thanks

soulsweeper said:
First, when you dump the BOV to the atmosphere, does it have idle problem? Because my eclipse did when I DUMPED IT OUT to atmosph.
Also when you said watch the tranny? What do you mean? Is the tranny weak like accord v6?( may tranny prb with v6 accord. 5 of my friends' changed their tranny least twice in 30000 miles. of course for free due to warranty!!)
No problems at all with BOV. The trans isn't really weak per se but you also can not abuse it and expect it to survive. No dumping the clutch unless you want to rebuild it often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
test drives

I recently bought a WRX a few weeks ago. Before I bought I test drove:

acura RSX-s: engine way too noisy, part throttle same as full throttle, short powerband, nice interior/handling/shifter

celica GTS - short powerband - really have to wind it out to make any power, good handling, goofy gauges, very little rear seat room

gti turbo - nice car really, this was my second choice after the wrx. very little lag, excellent power, lots of amenities like lighted vanity mirrors, loads of cargo capacity, etc., and cheap!
negatives: dated styling, lots of body roll, poor foot pedal and cup holder placements (blocks radio volume knob!), biggest complaint: massive torque steer even in 2nd! You can just add a chip to give it 240 lb-ft of torque (gain of 60!) but I can't image what the torque steer would be like then! Maybe wider, sticky tires would help. Prolly would've bought this car if it didn't have such a torque steer problem.

·
Registered
679 Posts
just to add,
stock boost is 1 bar (14.5psi) in 3rd+ gears in my car and others. I think the official number is 13.5, but I was just a HAIR under 15psi stock.

the turbo is a td04-13G. Pretty small, but better than the T25 on the 2nd gen, IMO.

Typical times with a good driver are 14.1-3. Any slower and you just need practice. With bc, you should run 13.7-9 depending on driver.

I think the stock handling is GREAT! The only thing lacking is the stock POS tires, but that isn't a huge weighing factor when buying a $25K+ car.

good luck,

-C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts