Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no clue if this can be done, or is being done, so I'll ask here. A friend at work is selling a very nice black on black 5spd 2.5 RS with a set of 17" Prodrive wheels. Although I like the car it has no balls. He said that there are few turbo kits out there for the 2.5 and I'm not sure what the bolt ons do for this motor.

I'm not really looking for a new WRX so this sounded sweet to me. Right now I have a 5th Gen lude with normal I/H/E bolt ons but the lude doesn't make good power despite what I would like to believe. A turbo kit is an expensive option that usually winds up with at least one blown motor before it's right.

What do you guys think/know about making the 2.5 RS right for me?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Content removed by moderator. Post in English only.

they cannot take much boost in the motor from action RS If you lower the compression in the motor that you could as soon as to interchange the superior end of WRX on short block 2,5 and would execute very good <----Garblefish translator

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Julio Juaves said:
no pueden tomar mucha alza en el motor de la acción RS. Si usted baja la compresión en el motor que usted podría apenas intercambiar el extremo superior de WRX sobre el bloque corto 2.5 y ejecutaría muy bueno

they cannot take much boost in the motor from action RS If you lower the compression in the motor that you could as soon as to interchange the superior end of WRX on short block 2,5 and would execute very good <----Garblefish translator
post in english.

dR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it sounds like this isn't a swap that's being done too much as of yet? :( Are there any other options that don't cost an arm and a leg to make soem good power (i.e. 250+ whp) on the 2.5 RS? What about a swap from a different Subuaru?

·
2,210 Posts
TPG said:
So it sounds like this isn't a swap that's being done too much as of yet? :( Are there any other options that don't cost an arm and a leg to make soem good power (i.e. 250+ whp) on the 2.5 RS? What about a swap from a different Subuaru?
You might want to contact somebody like Cobb or APS and see what options they have if any, for turbocharging the 2.5

I would think an engine swap would be prohibitively expensive if you are just acquiring the vehicle. May as well just buy a WRX to begin with.

-Pace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
I've seen it done. It's AWESOME! You pretty much have to use a FMIC to make it work, I think.

-Jim
Do you have any info or links on the swap? Also, are there any other web boards that might have more info on this? What are the chances of a 2 dr WRX in the US future?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Run a google search for "Hybrid WRX" that's what 2.5RS motor swaps are usually called. Somebody on this board has one too. He posted a kill story or two.

-Jim

·
Registered
907 Posts
Im 100% sure its swappable, with minor customization to the engine compartment. You have to rewire a couple of things. If youve got the money and the time as well as the knowledge to do a swap do it..otherwise its nott worth the trouble...just get a used wrx.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
my guess would be that it could be done but would be more expensive than buying a new one (if you're counting the purchase price of the RS). You'd also have to change all your emissions equipment (VERY expensive...we're talking rip EVERYTHING out of the engine compartment and exhaust and replace it) and pass smog based on WRX standards or you couldn't get it licensed. The biggest pain in the ass would be that you'd have to go to a special smog station that smogs CUSTOM cars....because a regular smog station WILL NOT smog a car with a motor swap...and you have to do it every year. At least that's now it is in CA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yea, the swaps are getting more and more popular among the 2.5RS guys who want reliable power. it will cost you ~3-5k for the motor depending on where you buy it plus another couple grand for the install. I've seen quotes ~$7-8k for parts and labor.

For a bit cheaper route, you can look at the turbo kits for the 2.5RS. The more popular ones are ludespeed (http://ludespeed.tripod.com), forced air tech (www.forcedairtech.com) and vishnu performance turbo kit(www.vishnuperformance.com)

Most low end kits will cost at least $2k and the higher end around $4-5k. These kits can be done by yourself or you can spend more and pay someone to do it for you if you're not too confident with your mechanic skills.

Another thing people are trying to do is using old turbos from other subarus. Before the wrx came out, they were using the old legacy turbos. It was good for about 5psi, but would get out of its efficiency range when revved high. They're also checking out the wrx td04 turbo, but the turbo comes with an internal wastegate set at 8 psi, i think? (someone correct me if i'm wrong). So you'd probably want some way to get around that, get the wrx intercooler, people sell those used for ~$300 each (~$600 for turbo AND intercooler). A guy in i-club (don't know if he still does) sells custom up and downpipes for the td04 turbo. Once you get the piping, you can take care of the engine management.

For starting out your turbo, you wouldn't want to go over 8 psi. Starters usually go ~5 psi of boost, but don't let the low boost fool you. Properly tuned RS-T's that run 5 psi of boost can eat stock wrx's for breakfast (flame suit on :D). Once you ask for more power, you're gonna be spending more, larger injectors, i'd recommend a standalone ecu to properly tune it.

Check out www.i-club.com, aftermarket forced induction forum. There's a sticky on top of that forum that will explain lots of things for you about putting forced induction in the ej25.

hope that helped.

-vic

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
eat it for breakfast? i don't know. certainly with all the proper piping and engine management, it's a very fast car. but you also run the risk and reliability line of tuning an N/A engine with Forced Induction.

realistically, for the money and effort, you could get a WRX, and MBC and some other minor mods for a much more reliable, fast car. plus, you're in a wrx, not an rs ;)

dR

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did say a properly tuned RS-T can eat stock wrx's for breakfast. I didn't say ALL RS-T's

ooo..my RS has leather and a sunroof, you don't:rolleyes: my car's gotta be better...

ghey..

-vic

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think it would be cool to find one in several years as a project, but as others have said, go with WRX. You could debadge it, remove the hood scoop (lower IC) and make it look like a regular Impreza. I thought it might be cool to even put on a badge that looked like the other Impreza's only with 2.0RS instead of 2.5. Instant sleeper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you really want to save money, buy an old impreza L for cheap uhh.. don't know exactly how much, but it will be much cheaper than buyin the RS or somethin (the FWD one) and put the wrx drivetrain in there :) YOu can keep the stock hood and put an fmic, for an even better sleeper than a debadged WRX.

-vic

·
Registered
2 Posts
cRayZee said:
I did say a properly tuned RS-T can eat stock wrx's for breakfast. I didn't say ALL RS-T's

ooo..my RS has leather and a sunroof, you don't:rolleyes: my car's gotta be better...

ghey..

-vic
Well, my Honda can burn your RS VIC! :rolleyes: Hahahah...jk...:D :p Okay, my car is slow...*sigh* :( Read sig. :p Hehe ;) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
cRayZee said:
if you really want to save money, buy an old impreza L for cheap uhh.. don't know exactly how much, but it will be much cheaper than buyin the RS or somethin (the FWD one) and put the wrx drivetrain in there :) YOu can keep the stock hood and put an fmic, for an even better sleeper than a debadged WRX.

-vic
Really? Hmm...that might be a way to go. You've really put some thought into this, Vic. :) However, you can't beat the feeling having a WRX gives. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts