Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am now beginning my search for a new ride and I was wondering if any of you were in the DC metro area. I am curious as to how a WRX or STI drives as a daily in the stop-and-go madness here. I am currently considering a last gen STI (hatch of course!) or a new gen WRX. What is your take on those two?

· In Æternum
23,705 Posts
Awesome. How does your car ride in traffic? My biggest concern is that driving a stick down here (I am new to the area) will be more cumbersome than fun and engaging.
There are times when it's awful, but my commute isn't so bad. I live close to my workplace.

For the 495 grinds, I prefer my wife's Kia.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are times when it's awful, but my commute isn't so bad. I live close to my workplace.

For the 495 grinds, I prefer my wife's Kia.
My commute is currently about 18mi to work and 25mi back. Sometimes it is not that bad, but other times it is just a stop and go crawl. I assume that I would have to adjust my driving style if/when I get a manual.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have given it a little bit of thought. Have you driven one? I have only been behind the wheel of a 2012 manual WRX. If I was still in Pittsburgh I would go for the manual without hesitation, but I was starting to consider the CVT for down here. Have you driven one? How does it compare overall to the stick?

· In Æternum
23,705 Posts
No idea, haven't driven one. However, CVTs have always intrigued me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,791 Posts
If you are used to a normal manual transmission, an automatic, or a dcg, then the CVT is going to feel really weird for a while. It's almost like it's in a constant slip because the engine rpm and speed don't move together like the do in a traditional geared situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
212 Posts
I live in Maryland and my job is in Rockville, MD which is 35 miles away. I used to go through the Maryland/DC traffic on a daily basis. Granted the first time I drove a stick shift car was the day I bought mine, back in March, it can be very frustrating.

All in all, I've began driving to the nearest metro station and ride the train to work. My logic is regardless if the train is packed or not, it moves at the same rate while traffic does not. My job is a few blocks down from the train station and I still get to and from work in the same, if not less.

This has allowed me to:
1. Sleep on the train since it's pretty much a straight shot
2. Be less stressed because of the constant stop and go traffic and shifting
3. Avoid the potential slow down because of an accident and rubber necking while completely getting rid of my chances of getting into a car accident
4. Not deal with these annoying and inconsiderate drivers
5. Put less wear and tear on my car (saves at least 70 miles total per weekday).

With that being said, if you're an experienced manual driver then you may not mind. Different strokes for different folks. I came from an automatic world and our rush hour traffic had me strongly considering and getting pre approvals to trade my car in for something automatic or finding a second car to commute.

· Water.....sometimes waves
2,183 Posts
I have given it a little bit of thought. Have you driven one? I have only been behind the wheel of a 2012 manual WRX. If I was still in Pittsburgh I would go for the manual without hesitation, but I was starting to consider the CVT for down here. Have you driven one? How does it compare overall to the stick?
Other members of my family have a Forester and plain Impreza with CVT. I drive both. I have not driven a WRX with the CVT but I do like the plain Impreza with it. Before I got my WRX I would play with the Impreza a little and remember being "imprezzed" with it. Of course a WRX with turbo would interact differently with the CVT but the transmission itself is very smooth and responds quickly when asked. I would not be afraid of one at all in a WRX.

· Registered
20 Posts
I definitely prefer driving an automatic in traffic. God knows how much more wear and tear I put on my clutch doing start stops. I even tend to not creep up every time there is a gap.

The car can certainly do constant traffic just fine. But it's not an enjoyable drive. I use my auto if I'm driving at normal traffic times.

SO I guess the question is just how much traffic driving you'll be doing? If a lot, skip the manual. If only occasionally, go ahead.

Personally I went with 2 cars. An auto for commuting, and an older manual WRX for fun. It also means I can mod my WRX for more power and handling, since I know I wont be commuting in it very often.

· Registered
59 Posts
My '16 has the CVT and it really helps on my commute across DC every weekday. My trip is only 8-9 miles (according to Google Maps) but it's 45mins to an hour depending on traffic. On the weekends or really early / late when the traffic is empty I can always pop it into manual mode and run Sport # (with the 8 simulated gears) if I want to.

· Registered
7 Posts
This is my like 12th stick, 18 Ltd. WRX, Lived around DC for 5 years. On the VA side. Owned this vehicle since July.

By far the easiest manual I have owned. Take up is smooth and the pedal is forgiving. Traffic can be a hassle, that's the tradeoff. I love driving my wife's CX-5 in these situations, but I knew what I was doing when I purchased another 6-spd.

It honestly depends on your commute. So I live in Alexandria and work in Suitland. I really don't have to deal with traffic. It happens, but not often. If every day was a traffic situation, I would take the metro. Defeats the new car payment, but for now I'm good. I had one bad experience once. My left leg wanted to die...lol.

I mean, all in all, it's a personal preference. At some point I may make the switch off of manual altogether, but 75% of the time there's nothing close to an issue (for me on my route) and having the manual on fun drive days more than makes up for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.