Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just got a wrx a few weeks ago and want to put in my sub and amp from my last car......are there rca ouputs on the back of the factory deck? if not how would i go about hooking up the factory deck to my amp? thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Heh

I am looking for the same info...please let me know what you find out and I will do the same. I think that there are no RCA pre-outs and that the best solution is to buy a new deck and go from there...I have put down a deposit on one that has an upgraded stereo system and I am now looking to see if I can find one without the upgrade...seems like a waste of money :-(

Shain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
There are no RCA pre-outs in the factory deck. However if you dont feel like upgrading the stock deck just get yourself a line-out converter, you can get them at circuit city or any car audio shop. You'll need the schematics for the factory deck though so you know which wires to splice into, I'll see if I can dig that up for ya. I hooked up an amp/sub in my friends rex it was very easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
RCA outputs

You can get one of those filters if you want that takes the amplified "high level" inputs (the speaker wires) and removes as much power as it can and gives you an RCA out, or most amps have high level inputs as well as the RCA inputs and you can use those. If you want to get the best sound, just use the speaker wires that come directly out of the head unit before they go to the factory amp. These are pretty much the same as if it had RCA as far as quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
GregFarz78 said:
You'll need the schematics for the factory deck though so you know which wires to splice into, I'll see if I can dig that up for ya.
Hey sounds like you and Agent86 are talking about the same thing. I have a question about how the "subwoofer upgrade" is wired--does it take high V input, or does it take something else? If it's low, could we take it's input as RCA? Greg, if your schematics show how their sub is connected, me = :D

.. Prepare thyself for a car-audio novice question: do adjustable 3-way cross-overs exist? I was silly enough to buy their subwoofer, and it's not too bad for mid-range bass (Holy 100 Hz Batman!), so maybe I could keep it. ..but still I'd like more juice to the front 6 and a real sub (in my tire-well!) Just a thought :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
klancek said:

Hey sounds like you and Agent86 are talking about the same thing. I have a question about how the "subwoofer upgrade" is wired--does it take high V input, or does it take something else? If it's low, could we take it's input as RCA? Greg, if your schematics show how their sub is connected, me = :D

.. Prepare thyself for a car-audio novice question: do adjustable 3-way cross-overs exist? I was silly enough to buy their subwoofer, and it's not too bad for mid-range bass (Holy 100 Hz Batman!), so maybe I could keep it. ..but still I'd like more juice to the front 6 and a real sub (in my tire-well!) Just a thought :p
Not exactly Agent is talking about speaker level inputs (correct me if I'm wrong)...my advise would be go with the line out converter speaker level inputs suck

Are you speaking of the factory sub? I think it has adjustments on it I never really looked that closly at that POS lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
The line out converter as well as the high level inputs accept high level speaker wire inputs. My 2 points were:

1. no reason to pay for the converter when most amps have that feature built in.

2. if you grab a pair of inputs off the head unit before it goes to the factory amp then even through they will be speaker wire, they will be low level. just grab the rear set of wires before they go to the factory amp. I would even suggest taking the set and running it through a passive 2-way crossover. then send the high output to the factory amp which will then power the 4" rears which will benefit from the bass filtration, and run the low output to your amp for your sub. Since this will be a speaker wire, you can either run it to the high level inputs on the sub even though it isn't really a high level input, or take an RCA cable and cut one end off and hook the bare wire end up to the crossover. I think that the outside connection of the RCA is possotive, but I am not totally sure. If the crossover you get has RCA inputs and outputs, just solder an RCA plug onto the wire from the stereo. It should be pretty easy to sort out, put feel free to ask any questions if I was not clear.
 

·
Moderating U!
Joined
·
4,192 Posts
Agent86,
I have my amp in my hands. It a MTX Thunder 250X. I see that is has a set of four male connector ends that says High Level on the back of the amp. They are right next to the In/Out RCA inputs. But how or what to I hook up to those connectors to do the same thing RCA cables would do. Is there a certaing female connector with four inserts that I use to hook up the some wire from the head unit to the amp? I am confused. You also said factory amp. Where is that located? Do I splice right into the factory rear speakers somehow. All I plan on running off this amp is my bazooka 10" sub. Please help.

My car also came with the factory Subwoofer under the passenger seat. If it is possible, I would like to keep that running as well.
Thank you,
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)


Agent86 said:

RCA outputs
You can get one of those filters if you want that takes the amplified "high level" inputs (the speaker wires) and removes as much power as it can and gives you an RCA out, or most amps have high level inputs as well as the RCA inputs and you can use those. If you want to get the best sound, just use the speaker wires that come directly out of the head unit before they go to the factory amp. These are pretty much the same as if it had RCA as far as quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
... I wonder if we're all trying to say the same thing:
Agent86 said:
2. if you grab a pair of inputs off the head unit before it goes to the factory amp then even through ...
A86 are you talking about the factory amp/"subwoofer" thing under my passenger seat? Or are you talking about an op-amp physically inside the head unit, like Greg is talking about? I agree with Greg that going into the head unit to get true pre-amp leads would be cleaner, but it'd be nice if we could avoid the work. (cue schematics--oh wait, we don't have them yet)

Greg, should you find schematics (cross fingers) and post them (hint hint) I'd be really interested to know how the factory upgrade amp/sub is wired. If A86 and I are correct, the factory lead under the seat would serve nicely as low V, quasi-RCA, hopefully true pre-amp signal. ..in that case, KD, we could do what A86 was saying (with a passive crossover) and keep our 100 Hz miracle things. ..which aren't always POS, especially when a passenger remarks on their butt-jiggling comfort action.

-Lance :p
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top