Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the options with this thing?

I know you can change to an STi one without the bushing and Perrin makes the lockdown kit for it, but is there maybe a solid metal bushing or a stiffer bushing? I have no idea if that's a bushing that can be changed.
Is the lockdown worth it?
I'm guessing the STi coupler is the better option than the Perrin unit but what do I know really? lol

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
Specify which year WRX.

Different gear was equipped on different years.

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
2005+ WRX went with the same rack as the STI w/ 15:1 steering ratio. Obviously the 2015+ WRX went with a big change to EPAS.

There are two avenues you can take here:
1. Install the steering rack bushings -- this will improve slop quite a bit
2. Retrofit a 2005+ WRX rack with associated bushings -- this will make the steering quicker AND improve slop

Another option is to go with a PSRS or ALK. Depending on the configuration, the PSRS can increase the caster angle giving the car a much more positive steering feel with more feedback and stronger centering.

Having owned a bugeye and now a 2015 STI (perhaps the best steering feel of any Subaru), I can tell you assuredly -- focus on fixing the steering on the bugeye.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already got an 05 STi rack, tie rod ends, and the factory bolts for an 05 actually and it should be going on the middle of next month. I hadn't ordered bushings yet though but figured if I was dropping the rack I should sort out that linkage as well.

I was thinking about creating a different post about the mounts available and how to put them onto the rack.

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
Ah, gotcha. I'm not really aware of any linkage upgrades, though such upgrades may exist.

For most people, the rack + bushings + PSRS seem to really meet expectations.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
If you're already planning on swapping the steering rack, go for the 2015+ STI rack. I had everything out of my '05 a few years back, and I'm still kicking myself for not doing the swap at that time.

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
If you're already planning on swapping the steering rack, go for the 2015+ STI rack. I had everything out of my '05 a few years back, and I'm still kicking myself for not doing the swap at that time.
IIRC, the 2015+ into GD is a total PITA.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
zax said:
IIRC, the 2015+ into GD is a total PITA.
It's not P&P, but I stand by my statement. I wish I spent the money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had a brief conversation about that 2015 rack and I decided I'd rather go with the 05... not to mention I've already got the 05 rack
Getting that rack into my possession was a total PITA LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts