Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WRX snow tips..

So the snow has at last come to Minneapolis, and I have a question or two!

1.) when sliding out, accelerate in the direction you want to go, correct?

2.) Higher gear or lower gear?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
It depends but assuming you mean cautious accident avoidance mode: In an AWD vehicle steer where you want to go because when when you get traction back the direction your tires are headed is where you are going to go. Higher gear to reduce torque. Unless you mean to use the full time four wheel drift method. Then you should go to a big parking lot and hang it out until you get a feel for throttle steering. :)

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like in an AWD vehicle a lower gear is better if you're sliding out because you can power yourself back on course...

·
Registered
25 Posts
WilliamG said:
I feel like in an AWD vehicle a lower gear is better if you're sliding out because you can power yourself back on course...

Cool, see the second half of my post. Get a lot of practice with throttle contolled steering.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See that makes me feel better. I was going round a corner and slid a little, so I throttle steered it. Maybe it's a natural genius. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Grr why do u get snow? lol, to this day I havnt had the chance to drive the wrx in the snow/ only in about a inch of salt... lucky sob :)

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so this car in snow = ROCKS!!!!!!!!

I just had the BEST 2 minutes of my life. My parking lot is empty. I zoom around it doing some drifts in COMPLETE control. It's an awesome feeling. If I wasn't turning enough I'd give it some more throttle and it was just AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

W0000000000000t!!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
WilliamG said:
Ok so this car in snow = ROCKS!!!!!!!!

I just had the BEST 2 minutes of my life.
Why the hell did you stop at 2 minutes?? GET BACK OUT THERE BEFORE IT MELTS!!!!

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Goddam you're right!!!!

::grabs his coat::

See ya later! I'm off for some more fun :D :D :D

FOR REAL!

W00000000000t!!

SNOW HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
day #2 and day #3 of me owning my WRX it snowed where my parents live outside of Philly:) it was fun, but i couldnt completely let loose since the car hardly had any miles on it (and i wasnt too hot at stick). now that i'm in colorado you'd think i'd have plenty of opportunity to play in the snow, but i havent had a single one in the month i've been out here.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
109 Posts
yeah here in my part of WI we have had NO snow, just phreezing rain so my car is now white instead of blue due to the obscene amount of salt... Grrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
106 Posts
eclipse2via said:
Higher gear to reduce torque.
I actually find myself driving in a lower gear in snow so I can use the engine to do some of the braking. Ever since I hit a pothole just before a stop sign and ended up a third of the way into the intersection, I do everything I can not to activate the ABS. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much for it to kick in and rob about half your braking power. :mad: If my wife weren't the primary driver, I'd yank the ABS fuse and leave it out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wrinkleboi said:
ha... check my avatar if you want to see an obscene amount of salt on my WRB car...
Ah, that pretty much captures winter in the northern Midwest. You know the snow removal crew went a bit overboard when you see salt tornadoes blowing down the street... :rolleyes:

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OH man oh man oh man. This car is WAY too much fun in the snow. I was rally driving round my parking lot, weaving in and out of the parking-lot-street-lights (or whatever you call them). Amaaaaaazzzzzzzing!

::am fully fledged rally driver now::

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I went out tonight to this HUGE parking lot COVERED with snow, and had some MAJOR fun for about 20 minutes. Scared the living crap outa my wife as I drifted round the few lamp-posts in the lot.

I assume this does no damage to the car, right? I never even got out of 1st gear! :D 1st gear is a LOT of fun in the snow :D

I just got all paranoid like I'd damaged something, afterwards. I suppose it's me being paranoid as usual, but paranoid I am :(

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
WilliamG said:
I just got all paranoid like I'd damaged something, afterwards. I suppose it's me being paranoid as usual, but paranoid I am :(
You need to learn how to enjoy the finer things in life! Stop feeling guilty, let it go.... :p

·
Registered
577 Posts
I dunno about you guys, but I find my car behaving for the most part like a rwd biased AWD car in the snow. Whenever I go round a tight turn, then give it gas, the back end starts comming around. Of course this is remedied by countersteering and giving more gas. If I come into a corner too fast, I get understeer, but the front usually tucks back in if I get off the throttle. Now when I do get off the throttle, it feels like the back end is comming around again, which I guess makes the front wheels bite.

I am thinking thought that this happens becasue of the Whiteline springs that I have on the car....I think they reduce the car's tendency to understeer, and make it drive more like a RWD car

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Personally, I would love to have more oversteer. Understeer is friggin scary. However, I would also rather have the car stay on the road... but, if I have to choose, my vote is with oversteer ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts