Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today in Minneapolis was INSANE! Snow EVERYWHERE! I was very very excited to get out there, but my enjoyment was rather shortlived. Driving around was great, but stopping was a NIGHTMARE. Even at 5 or 10mph, pushing the brakes would elicit the ABS to kick in and the car to slide all over the place. What is up with the WRX brakes?!? It was frightening! I did some test braking to see what would happen and even with my foot to the floor and the ABS kicking in massively, it never disengaged! Ouch!

:(

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I would figure that the ABS would help avoid such slipage. Have you tried turning the ABS off? I have no experience with driving in the snow, so I don't know whether it would help you or not.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really want to mess around with the ABS switching on/off. All I can tell you is we're getting 6 to 10 inches of snow here!!! Maybe more!!!

W000000t/Eeek! <--- depending how your brakes work!! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to agree... I'm not a big fan of our ABS. It seems that the ABS problems were the big fuss before when people were talking about going over railway bumps and such and losing breaking control. It seems like the brakes stop working for like 2 seconds whenever ABS kicks in. It's not a very quick engage/disengage procedure.

Whenever I drive in the snow these days I like to give it the gas while driving, but I do a lot of engine braking and a little brake pedal work. So needless to say I start slowing down really, really early. If you need to stop faster and engage ABS you have no idea as to when the car is actually going to stop. I feel totally out of control. Even letting up on the brake doesn't seem to fix the problem right away... Just make sure you don't push the brake too hard to have ABS kick in. But then again, if still helps to have ABS so you can steer your way around even if you can't stop anymore.

It just seems like it could have been done better... But what do I know, my old car was an '86 Volvo 240 that certainly didn't have ABS, so the WRX is my first ABS car, as well as my first AWD car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the snow braking problems in a car with abs is indicative of traction problems not brake problems. Ditch the all seasons or summer tires and get a real set of snow tires. If you live in the snow belt. All season tires are a poor compromise, they try to be everything at once. A good option is get a bling bling set of wheels put drys on them and during winter have the stockers mounted with blizzaks or other quality snow tire.

My $.02

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have the Cooper ST/2 Weathermasters and I'd say they improved stopping in the slick stuff by at least 50-60% over the stock tires. I had the exact same problem that you are describing..

-snowcat

·
Registered
649 Posts
Agreed. I engine brake also. I plan on pulling the fuse on mine. In the first snow I drove my car in, I went through several stop signs trying to get used to the ABS (first car with ABS). Needless to say, I don't use the brakes much now.

I will disagree on the having ABS so you can steer. If the ABS kicks on when I try to stop, I have no steering whatsoever until I let off the brakes. Completely worthless.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
From my snow driving experiences this winter I do find that I can steer some with the ABS in use. I find it actually pretty good compared to other cars I have driven in the snow with ABS. Unless you are a master rally driver I don't think you are going to be able to brake any better in the snow then the ABS can. You just have to learn how your car reacts in the snow and then change your driving habits for that.

I was just watching the Monte Carlo rally last night and they compared Sebastian L. and Marcus G. driving in the snow. Monte Carlo is well known for its ability to go from warm dry roads to slick ice covered roads on one stage, so drivers have to choose very carefully which tires to go with. Marcus had tires with more traction for ice and snow and Loeb had tires with less traction for dry pavement. It was night and day when they compared them going over snow, Loeb took it much much much slower. It just goes to show its not the brakes or the ABS but the tires that make the big difference.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Naa the tires are fine. You just need to be gentle with the brakes and all is good. Trust me. I have proof. New thread coming soon.... :)

PS The RE92's are actually REALLY GOOD. No matter what anyone says. I have no issue with them. I'm not saying that there aren't better tires. I just think people must be really crap at driving to 'hate' the stock tires.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I totally disagree. RE92s suck. Real snow tires make a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm getting tired of all the people *****ing about the ABS on snow, when they are running RE92's. Ditch the crappy tires, put some real winter tread on there, and then try to tell me the ABS sucks.

Sure, it's a little jumpy compared to other ABS systems, but your ability to stop and go on snow depends just as much (if not more) on your tires as your AWD and ABS.

Man I'm soooooo itching to get my summer wheels/tires back on. The stockers with winter tread look so boring :(

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Even TireRack points out the RE92 tires are performance all season tires. They're mainly summer tires with very light snow traction.
My point you ask?

Subaru jepordizes the ability to have extra summer handling at the expense of winter handling. In otherwords, they can give you useless tires, you get into a wreck... They make extra money because they forgot to tell you the 'all season' tires on the car are not really meant for snow/ice, but are rated as all seasons, so you're the idiot for not knowing the facts!

Second point of the story? Don't be an idiot like I am, and drive on summer tires (AVON ZZ1 tires, which are HIGH PERFORMANCE SUMMER TIRES RATED AA TRACTION)... Get some winter tires and protect your Subaru investment!

Also depends on your conditions. I live in Connecticut, so I personally would prefer some tires for ice, instead of snow.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Zapix said:
Even TireRack points out the RE92 tires are performance all season tires. They're mainly summer tires with very light snow traction.
Customer's have rated them 3rd from last in their category too, if you check the "Tire Surveys" for all seasons. Average rating for snow traction was 4.7 out of 10.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so since I am driving in the snow, I believe I'm qualified to decide how good the RE92's are. Right now is HELL in Minneapolis. The tires are performing.....wait for it....

FINE!

They're fine! I'm zipping around everywhere. I'm having no issues and they work great. If you get into a wreck, it's your OWN fault. Sure the ABS is a little jumpy, but it's the snow. I took out a friend's Grand AM GT with snow tires, and it was EXACTLY the same as my WRX at stopping. ABS kicked in a ton. If I'm gentle with the braking, there's no issues.

I'm not going to argue with anyone. All I will say is the RE92's are fine. I've had them in the sun, torrential rain, and in HEAVY snow. (10-14 inches.) They work GREAT.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Yeah, the ABS is just fine. I'd expand my statement to say that all all-season's suck. I hate 'em. Real snows are where its at. Yeah, you can get around on the stock tires, real snows just give you more grip.

As I've said before, I think the problem a lot of people have with the ABS is one of perception. People think that since the tires aren't locking up, that there is more traction available. They're not locking up because it's ABS and there is no more traction available. It's supposed to not lock up. I see a lot of posts where people say things like "the ABS just kept fighting me" or "even with my foot to the floor the ABS kicked in massively, it never disengaged!". Well, yeah, with ABS they won't lock up....cause, well, it's got an Anti-Lock Brake System. Putting your foot to the floor makes the brakes try harder to lock the wheels up but, well, the car has an Anit-Lock Brake System.

·
Registered
6 Posts
eclipse2via said:
In the snow braking problems in a car with abs is indicative of traction problems not brake problems. Ditch the all seasons or summer tires and get a real set of snow tires. If you live in the snow belt. All season tires are a poor compromise, they try to be everything at once. A good option is get a bling bling set of wheels put drys on them and during winter have the stockers mounted with blizzaks or other quality snow tire.

My $.02
I have to agree.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WilliamG said:
Ok so since I am driving in the snow, I believe I'm qualified to decide how good the RE92's are. Right now is HELL in Minneapolis. The tires are performing.....wait for it....

FINE
I'm not on your case or anything but many of us with snow driving experience are recommending a snow tire. There have been articles in C&D showing snow tires are better handling on a fwd car than an awd with all seasons. They used an Audi 80 or 90 so it would be equal. Test was braking, turning and acceleration. Anyways, don't be afraid to stand on the brake pedal and steer that's what ABS is made to do. Good Luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
William's right, though. The all-season's will get you around. The Impreza is so superbly balanced that I was able to go over a snow-packed Berthoud Pass 4 times early in the winter without drama on bald Dunlop SP8000 Ultra-High-Performance summer-only tires.

It's just that real snows are vastly superior. You could also run snows year-round and they'd get you around in the dry. But why would you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
AWD is a fine aid for driving and turning, but stopping is another matter. The weight makes stops longer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts