ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I did a internet search for WRX 1/4 mile times because a guy here at work was asking about them. I should have just come here and searched...but I didn't. At any rate, I see this link to the VW site just ripping the WRX fo rthe most part. Those guys REALLY don't like our car...odd. I think the R32 is very nice, but I would probably get an STi for similar money. I think there are lots of nice cars out there, I just chose this one as best for ME. They really don't look at it that way...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1217000

·
Registered
945 Posts
everyone has their hates on another car..
i hate the mustang and civics...just cause of the bad reputation they have...and the image you get from them with the driver...you know??

well people are ignorant, ignore them

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I guess everyone has their reasons for buying what they like. I like having a car that is quick and can still get me around in a snow storm with relative ease...

Still, that thread was craptastic.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
many of them were arguing very valid points I.E. (turbo lag, bad top end, bad 4th and 5th gear, etc......)

but many other points were way over-done. I think every one here can admit that the wrx is is a good car when stock, but its just not "amazing" anymore, like it was 2 years ago. Something that they dont seem to have is standard logic over at that board. The r32 is a nice car, with an orgazimic exhaust note.... but there are many positives to the wrx that they fail to see because they are to busy bashing what they dont know well enough.

Let them be with their ignorance. Everyone buys a car for a different reason, and you will be hard pressed to find people on an internet forum who can be logical and polite about expressing their ideas about other cars.

I didnt bother to read past the first page, but I wonder if anyone mentioned how the rex can see mid to lower 13's with less than a grand (TBE, UP, MBC, hoses)...... and see low 12's for less than a few grand (exhaust, upgraded turbo, fuel pump, inject, EM)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
878 Posts
haha they are so close minded that they forget that the r32 is a 30k car which is what an sti is. So why are they comparing the wrx to it, is beyond me:confused: Try comparing to an STI and there is no contest, thats why they didn't compare it to the STI; becasue there is no contest!!!! They just wanted to make them selves feel better for spending all that money on sub perfommance car. LOL. And like someone on that forum said just throw like 2gs or even less in mods and your kicking the crap out of the r32 already, add another grand or two and you have sti perfomance car. From my expirience with my rex, one of the guys was giving a vary good evaluation of the car. When stock the rex is not that impressive and it does take a lot of revs to make it a fun drive, however ever since i added the CObb Ap its night and day. But thats only 600 bucks and you have a world of differance. Now i like the r32 for its upscale fit and finish and i am not bashing it but to me the WRX seems much better even if its not an STI. :D Oh and much of the fricken understeer if from those awful, horrible,etc. stock tires. I threw on some pirellis and now the car wants to eat the corners, I actually have to let off because it just wants to cut into the turn so much. To get the car going sideways I would have go extra crazy. I can take the same corners going 60 when on the stockers 40 was a bit shaky.

·
1,816 Posts
VW makes some fine cars and I'm sure the R32 is built like a tank. But its built for the Autoban, not the B-roads like the WRX. I'll take a car made for the B-roads which make up the majority of roads in the World. And luxury? If I want that I'd get an Audi TT 3.2 quattro which is, guess what, the same car! So they should have called it an Audi TT 3.2 Hatchback and not stolen the name of an awesome car that would annihilate the VW in every way shape and form: the Nissan Skyline GT-R R32. The Golf has come a long way since the original lightweight GTI that is still a great car to modify and I'm sure, to drive. But the current golf platform is a pig and Haldex is not what I want when driving at 10/10ths.

-chris (my 0.02)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
My '00 passat was crap. My friend's '02 Golf is crap. My co-worker's '98 jetta is crap.

The r32 might be super. But the above 3 are all I need to know about VW.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A couple good points about the WRX were made (bad top end, weak tranny, cheap interior), and I totally understand the point that R32 owners were looking for more than just raw performance when they bought it. I have driven both cars, and there's no doubt that the fit and finish of the R32 is head and shoulders above the WRX's. No rattles and very solid feeling. It's fun to drive (no turbo lag and good suspension), and it's a great car. But it doesn't feel faster than my WRX. No way. In a heads up stock for stock race, it would all be up to the driver.

Bottom line - If you want raw performance, go for the WRX. If you want luxury and performance, spend $5k more and get the R32.

BTW - Why are they comparing the performance of a $25K car with the performance of a $30K car? Shouldn't they be comparing the R32 to the $30K STi? Oh wait, that's right, they need inflate their egos. LOL

:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Woah let's relax people. I came from the vortex before this :p I had a jetta, it was great, my window regulator went but whose VW w.r. didn't? :) They are a very biased people, but they know their stuff when it comes to VW. I personally want an STi for my new car as opposed to the R32 because of the hp difference. I love VW, but really, the 6, mind you, SIX cylinder R32 makes barely 200 hp on the dyno stock :rolleyes: STi please!

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
VRWRX said:

BTW - Why are they comparing the performance of a $25K car with the performance of a $30K car? Shouldn't they be comparing the R32 to the $30K STi? Oh wait, that's right, they need inflate their egos. LOL

exactly. spending 30K on a GOLF is laughable. next time, compare performance with an EVO and an STi.

the interior quality is nice on those though. but as for trusting VW's attention to detail, well, you won't have a problem if you don't mind moldings that fall off, electonic failures, inability to resupply defective coil packs, and faulty A arms. :rolleyes:

might as well buy a ford. :eek:

·
Registered
236 Posts
dark_rex said:
exactly. spending 30K on a GOLF is laughable. next time, compare performance with an EVO and an STi.

the interior quality is nice on those though. but as for trusting VW's attention to detail, well, you won't have a problem if you don't mind moldings that fall off, electonic failures, inability to resupply defective coil packs, and faulty A arms. :rolleyes:

might as well buy a ford. :eek:

well said...

my mom use to have a 96 jetta, p/w didnt work, transmission blew up, moldings fall off bumper to bumper, tail lights stopped working, blinkers stopped working, radio stopped working, and the worse technicians ever. they intentionally do a half ass job so they can get you back into the dealership.

then i had a friend with a 02 passat 1.8t, radio stopped working 4x, a handful of recalls, had his share of electrical problems ranging from engine related to blinkers (again), its funny how the problems are exactly the same. hey, it's got a beautiful interior, love the gauges, love the materials, but for $26k and my experience with them, yeah right...never again.

but...i still like vw. they have the touareg. truly one of the finest SUVs i have ever driven. i'd take touareg v8 over the cayenne S anyday.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I dunno, maybe it is the area I live in, but every time I see a VW, no matter what it is, it always has a brake light out. Am I the only one that noticed this? I think I read they have electrical issues anyway so I'll take my weak tranny and turbolag and go play somewhere else.

And yeah, if you compare another car in the same price range, the Sti/Evo would eat these alive...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Give them some credit though... the Rabbit has come a long way :) My mom had one when I was a kid... she was getting on the freeway one day and went to shift from 3rd to 4th and the gear shift basically dropped through the floor :D Maybe it was imprinted on me from that point on that VW is the Devil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i know that their thread was started a long a$$ time ago but they all say WE DONT CARE ABOUT 0-60 TIMES..... well then why is the entire first page bashing the 0-60 in 5.4. my VW blah blah blah, then when someone chimes in and is like my wrx does 0-60 in 5.4... then they get all "your a homo"... um wow, first off 25k.... try 23.5 brand new with title and tags.... thats 21.5k for my rex before all that BS. so they are comparing a car that essentially cost 8.5k dollars more. ok ok turbo lag sucks yea yea yea.... but like it was mentioned.... no cats = peak boost around 2800 rpm's... port and polish that TD04 and its even quicker. i like the R32, i think it looks clean, probably is a kick a$$ car to drive but i guarentee my rex will stomp a r32 with one of them driving it. they bash everything about the WRX handling... tires (which is valid)... interior... um the STI interior especially 05 doesnt look cheap IMO. what else... o the drivetrain, even launching at 3k will beat most VW's out. ok what else.... um the sound????? WTF, it sounds like a turbo boxer engine.... i dont know what the heck that guy was talking about cause it doesnt make sense. they all say that they drove a wrx yada yada yada... i bet that is BS too.

now to sum up my rant, these guys dont know what they are talking about, and then when someone defends the WRX for what it is, "your a homo" comes flying out. these people need to grow up, and im only 19 and i know that. I love VW's interiors and looks but i have never even thought about dissing their performance because its not comparable, to think that they would compare performance and stylin.... and then renig and say they dont care about perofrmance is BS.... if they didnt care they wouldnt be enthusiasts. wow im just amazed at some of the stuff in the thread.

chile

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
andrew12 said:
i know that their thread was started a long a$$ time ago but they all say WE DONT CARE ABOUT 0-60 TIMES..... well then why is the entire first page bashing the 0-60 in 5.4. my VW blah blah blah, then when someone chimes in and is like my wrx does 0-60 in 5.4... then they get all "your a homo"... um wow, first off 25k.... try 23.5 brand new with title and tags.... thats 21.5k for my rex before all that BS. so they are comparing a car that essentially cost 8.5k dollars more. ok ok turbo lag sucks yea yea yea.... but like it was mentioned.... no cats = peak boost around 2800 rpm's... port and polish that TD04 and its even quicker. i like the R32, i think it looks clean, probably is a kick a$$ car to drive but i guarentee my rex will stomp a r32 with one of them driving it. they bash everything about the WRX handling... tires (which is valid)... interior... um the STI interior especially 05 doesnt look cheap IMO. what else... o the drivetrain, even launching at 3k will beat most VW's out. ok what else.... um the sound????? WTF, it sounds like a turbo boxer engine.... i dont know what the heck that guy was talking about cause it doesnt make sense. they all say that they drove a wrx yada yada yada... i bet that is BS too.

now to sum up my rant, these guys dont know what they are talking about, and then when someone defends the WRX for what it is, "your a homo" comes flying out. these people need to grow up, and im only 19 and i know that. I love VW's interiors and looks but i have never even thought about dissing their performance because its not comparable, to think that they would compare performance and stylin.... and then renig and say they dont care about perofrmance is BS.... if they didnt care they wouldnt be enthusiasts. wow im just amazed at some of the stuff in the thread.

chile
I think when they say they dont care about performance they mean like drag racing type performance. (although I agree that all they did for the first page was b*tch about times)...

The R32 is a very well rounded car and will surpass the STI/EVO/WRX when it comes to just being a daily driver. the interior layout is nice, there is no lag, it gets great throttle response and immediate torque, the seats and minor ammentities are very nice...... the sti/evo/wrx tend to lack in these areas. This is where I feel the r32 has the upper hand. But for that much money, you can get a faster car (sti/evo). MY point is that the R32 does a nice job of blending practicallity, comfort, refinement, and sport, all in 1. Its one hell of a nice car if you ask me.... but like many have said, $30k+ is a bit much to ask for that car, but its still cheaper than many other popular sport/refined cars.... such as 330ci, g35c, acura TL, etc.....

bottom line: Its a good car, that offers a good amount of 2 good worlds (performance and refinement).... but PERFORMANCE wise, the sti/evo/and even wrx are much better buys

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am a member of Club 1.8T.com and of vwfixx because my brother has an 04 gls turbo that I drive and work on and those guys are much cooler than the vortex guys IMO - the vortex guys are very harsh and nasty towards us while the club18t guys are all intrigued about my car and asked me to post pics of it and complemented it up the wazoo....depends which board you go to I guess - there's my .02 - I've also gotten nothing but tons of respect from all the vw tuners around here - they all seem to love the car and it seems like they all hate srt4s as well

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think a top quality to look for in a driver is reliability and economy, not plush interior. I also happen to be a performance enthusiast who can make good use of AWD. That is why I have a WRX. I guess some folks have different priorities, whatever. VW snobs? They need to get a life or maybe a ***** slap with a microbus or something...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah, I had a Rabbit once. Junktastic, and don't get me started on German-style metric bolts...

Their interior may be nicer, but our commercials are better. Emo f4gs for them, Lance Armstrong for us. That's as good a way to compare the cars as any, I think.

We'll still kill everyone in the snow, and isn't that what really matters?

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
dielectric said:
Yeah, I had a Rabbit once. Junktastic, and don't get me started on German-style metric bolts...

Their interior may be nicer, but our commercials are better. Emo f4gs for them, Lance Armstrong for us. That's as good a way to compare the cars as any, I think.

We'll still kill everyone in the snow, and isn't that what really matters?
:rotfl:

Well the Vortex thread made me realize what a POS Subaru I bought. I'm gonna go trade mine in tomorrow for an R32 that costs $8,000 more and is slower than my wagon. I just can't take the awful interior anymore. Sorry guys... :(

Seriously, half the anti-WRX posts in there are only there for one reason: because some kid got his ass waxed by a WRX and now he's upset and bent on whining about VW interior plastic feeling nicer than Subaru interior plastic.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts