Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for sure if air actualy goes into the WRX hood scoop? Seems like once the air hits the front grille area, that the air would divert upward toward the top of the car totally missing the scoop. Anyone done any testing or have any knowledge on this subject?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Lightsped said:
Does anyone know for sure if air actualy goes into the WRX hood scoop? Seems like once the air hits the front grille area, that the air would divert upward toward the top of the car totally missing the scoop. Anyone done any testing or have any knowledge on this subject?
It seems like air would flow just fine through the hood scoop. I guess if you want to test it you can get some paper towels, place them on the inside of the scoop to where they cover the openning, and start driving. If you see holes or torn paper towels then you have your answer. I'm sure Subaru has done more sophisticated testing before slapping on a hood scoop, but you can double check it with my ghetto method:D.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Lightsped said:
Yes air goes into the hood scoop, drive in heavy traffic, hop out and feel your intercooler. Go for a nice long drive after that at highway speeds, pull over at a rest stop and quickly pop your hood and feel the intercooler, it'll be way colder than when it was heat soaked in traffic. Or blank off your scoop and see what happens.

Air goes in just fine, your assessment of the car's air flow in front is wrong.

Subaru has done years of testing and has lots of knowledge on this subject.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The WRX scoop works just fine. I feel my intercooler alot because of the traffic and am learning what speeds cool it down. Recently put on a MRT TMIC and ran the stock scoop for about a month. Noted that the end of the intercooler (turbo side) got real hot, real fast. This weekend I installed a Sti replica scoop and air splitter, and I've noted a difference, especially on the "hot" side. For the stock intercooler, the stock scoop works fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those of you up north what do you do during winter? Doesn't salt and snow get into the scoop and down on to the Intercooler????? I wondering what to do before this winter. I'm in Ohio

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Does anyone know approximately how much bigger the sti hood scoop is? For some reason I never thought it was so much bigger that it made a big difference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is much larger, 3/4 to an inch. I'm running an STI Scoop with the (genuine!) STI RA Spec C splitter/plate. Combine this with IC hoses, a little bit of fabrication to get the splitter to fit the stock IC, and some STI sprayer nozzles, and you pretty much have the best your can get without a larger IC.

jb

·
Registered
30 Posts
jimb said:
It is much larger, 3/4 to an inch. I'm running an STI Scoop with the (genuine!) STI RA Spec C splitter/plate. Combine this with IC hoses, a little bit of fabrication to get the splitter to fit the stock IC, and some STI sprayer nozzles, and you pretty much have the best your can get without a larger IC.

jb
pics pics pics!!!
also, please tell who the supplier is for the STI hood. thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here are pics, supplier was vsigma on i-club:

Sorry the car is so dirty. You can see the small piece of sheetmetal I needed to fabricate to get the wider splitter to work with the standard wrx intercooler.

jb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts