Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to really thank Subaru for this, and while it's not important here, I think it's fitting since the WRX is known to change people!

Saturday night my father went out with a friend to Hartford (Connecticut). I can't begin to say how much I alone am against going into large cities. New Haven, Hartford are the tips of it compared to New York, LA and Chicago! Anyway, he went up there and knew I had been worried about him going out, especially with the new WRX he just got less than 2 weeks ago (Wednesday marks 2 weeks). He called me at about 6:15pm from a convenient store (or a Shell station?) on Main St. I was talking to him and suddenly the phone cut dead. I was on a cellphone and the reception here is bad, so I figured the cell cut out. Little did I know the moment the phone went dead, a group of young boys about 16 or 17 were holding a gun to my fathers head and asking him for his money. His friend was fending off another from getting into the car. My father is a quiet, polite, calm man. The WRX as many who own them say the car gives them a feeling of arrogance, superiority, etc. So my father did the most unexpected this, and perhaps the smartest although it many seem the dumbest to some. He floored the gas away from the kids who were holding a gun to his head. Two shots were fired, both went into the WRX. Neither one barely penetrated the body of the car. The window which was down is not even touched. The damage? 2 gunshot holes in the driver door of my fathers new WRX. Blood from one of the kids all over the passenger side rear window, left from my fathers friend who probably made the kid wish he was at home playing Grand Theft Auto! The police were called and it seems to me the police barely even cared. They said they would look into it. They wanted to take the car door apart to get the bullets, but my father refused that. They seemed to have no interest in the blood which as far as I can see is evidence that leads right back to one of those kids. I see it as the police don't even care, even though this is in some sense a case of attempted murder. I'm no fan of the police myself, but this has me pissed off at them!

I can only assume their intent was to take my fathers money, get him out of the car, shoot him, and then take the car. In that sense, I believe his actions were the best possible. I also highly believe now the WRX changes a persons attitude. Taking off like that is not my father’s way of handling things. I can only see it as the WRX said "Screw them! Gas me up, and get us the hell out of here! GO GO GO!"
Perhaps if he wasn't driving a WRX he might not have attracted the attention of these menacing children, but I see it as there is no "this could have happened" or none of this maybe this or maybe that stuff. The outcome was positive in the end, and the WRX shielded two bullets with little effort. This was also a great chance to see how thin the paint is. Whoa, let me tell you people who complain about that! It's razor f'in thin! About as thin as a piece of printer paper to be honest, and very cheap paint at that! Oh well! It's going to the body shop to be fixed up now.

As for the kids who did that... I hope they suffer for attempting to shoot my father. What kind of world is this in where children are taking it to decide if a person lives or dies?

I was pro Lancer Evolution until yesterday... Now I desire to buy a WRX instead as a way to say thank you to Subaru for building a fantastic car such as the WRX. Had it been my Ford ZX2, those bullets probably would have gone right though (cheap @ss ZX2!).

Anyway, I thought I'd post that here, mainly because of it being a WRX and the strange behavior my father reacted with, plus the WRXs ability to take bullets!

~ Dan

PS: We took the car to the Ford body shop I deal with for my ZX2 this morning. The manager was totally amazed that the bullet didn't even touch the window! If you hate your WRX, please shoot it point blank with a 12gauge shotgun, using slugs then let me know the damage! (sick curiosity!) In the end though, we're bringing it to the place where he got it to be fixed, just as I had been suggesting all along!

·
Registered
166 Posts
:eek:

Mucho thanks to God for your dad still being alive!!! That is some scary stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, he's had an amazing good sense of humor about it. I'm glad he's alive though. He's been a hell of a friend to me in all my 22 (almost 23) years. I suppose it runs in the family though to make the best of things, considering I was almost in exactly the same situation when I was 13 years old and visiting my aunt in Colorado. Anyway, he possibly has a broken nose, but won't know for a few days, as the ER wasn't even sure! He looks like a racoon now, and probably will for a few weeks.

The ER people said which all of us thought was funny, "You don't look like our usual assult victim!"

Just really glad he made it out alive.

(kicks himself for typos)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Amazing story!

you should send a copy of this post to Suabru. Maybe they'll print it in an issue of Drive, their magazine to Subaru customers.

By the way, a blood sample will give the police virtually no information. First, obtaining a DNA sample is very costly, and then you'd have to presume that the perpetrators' DNA sample is on file somewhere, which is pretty unlikely, given their ages. If and when those kids are caught, your father's and friend's identification of them means more than matching some blood.

If the police had recovered the bullets, they might've been in a position to know what kind of gun was used, and possibly even match those bullets to the specific gun used. This is useful because if and when those kids rob someone else and get caught with the gun, the police can test the gun and determine if the bullets were fired from it. Then it's just a matter of your Dad and friend ID-ing them in a lineup. Moreover, the DAs will have the gun used in the attempted robbery as evidence.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I do intend on contacting Subaru. I was already planning on contacting them about the dealership we delt with, in which the staff treated us fantasticly, and were far better than any other dealership of any car we have ever delt with.
Now I have something bigger to write to them!

~ Dan

·
Registered
679 Posts
Zapix said:
Blood from one of the kids all over the passenger side rear window, left from my fathers friend who probably made the kid wish he was at home playing Grand Theft Auto!
Lmfao!

That's some scary stuff.

·
Registered
189 Posts
whoa. i'm glad he is safe. you should seriously make a formal complaint about the way the police handled that.

0-60 5.5 seconds- saves lives

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
very wow. That's a scary story! Good thing the old 'rex came into play.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Zapix said:
Anyway, I thought I'd post that here, mainly because of it being a WRX and the strange behavior my father reacted with, plus the WRXs ability to take bullets!
It's funny you said that. About a year ago, two weeks after my buddy got his WRX he left his car parked outside overnight in a not so good neighborhood. If any here is familiar with L.A. then you know about Boyle Heights, very infamous due to the gang activity( god I hate gangs ). Anyway turns out a drive by happened in the house right next to My buddy's car. It took a couple of hits. The only place where the bullets actually made a big hole were in the urethane(or plastic? ) bumpers. The wing took a nasty bullet and got cracked just past the mounting pylon. The 2 driver side holes look like they were made by BBs and didn't go through, same with one that hit the left front fender. Car took a total of seven hits, maybe more but we never found them. Considering the fact that the bullets didn't go through the door and fender just amazes me, even considering that it was shot at close range. I'll try and get a hold of him so I can scan some pictures and show you guys, pretty freaky.

Well anyway the moral is: Take good care of your scooby since it just one day my save your life.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I hate people!

Thanks for sharing the story with us, it's a scary world we live in these days. Glad to hear your dad and friend escaped with their lives, by the way, that was great quick thinking on your dad's part. I've actually been advised in driver safety training to leave enough room between yourself and the car you are behind at a red light for this same reason, so you can escape if you have to.

Anyway, nice work dad!! Glad he made it home.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank god he's still alive....thank god that he was driving a fast car too. Imagine that in , lets say, a 95' Nissan Altima. Pat your father on the back for me. I'm serious. He's brave as hell. I'd take a bullet for my car. Well....maybe not.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Ditto on the obvious blessing(s)!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Subaru's reply!

Well, they said thank you, and wished us well. Also something about my being the ideal father's son! Whatever that's supposed to mean! :)

Anyway, I sent him a copy of all the replies, so everyones kind words will reach him.

If it was my WRX, I would turned around and gotten the heads of each kid under the 17" wheels! OH YEAH! For the bullets? Tie em up on the sides of the car and go on my first rally race! :D

What's more spooky is he had called me at about 7:10 (less than an hour later) and left a message saying he was on his way home, and he sounded perfectly fine, like nothing happened! I would have been either totally wacked out, or totally angry if that was me.

The car goes in tomorrow to be restored!

~ Dan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow! Where in Hartford did this happen? I am not surprised as I work in W. Hartford and see the animals that live in Hartford. Some of them have tried to kill me and my friends on our bikes, more than once. Good to hear your father made it through without a scratch.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Thank the Lord that your dad and his friend are OK. That's the important part, of course! Man, just goes to show the type of people who are out there. Be careful everybody....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts