Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this topic was previously discussed (couldn't find it anywhere on the forum) and apologize if so.

I absolutely love WRX and I was dreaming about getting one for long time. However, a friend of mine recently pointed out the horrible reliability ratings many car websites are giving 2009 2010 models:

(example here http://autos.yahoo.com/2010_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti-ratings/)

I am a med-school student and I have absolutely no extra money to spend on the repairs. Is reliability really a problem? :confused:

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Early-model 2009 WRXs had ringland problems. Other than that, the WRX has proven very reliable. However, you will want to make sure that the car isn't heavily modified; modifications will likely decrease the reliability of the car.

My 2003 has driven 50,000 miles without having to be in the shop

· Registered
911 Posts
being a forced induction (turbo) vehicle, its relatively easy to modify the car and get considerable power gains vs a vehicle that is naturally aspirated. unfortunately,

too many owners over the years modified the poop out of their car unsafely and caused a bunch of problems for themselves and the dealers they tried to get warranty work out of. and that 2009 run of bad motors didnt help.

like any extremely complicated mechanical device, there is always a failure rate. and if you do things to your car that you are not supposed to, the failure rate will get higher.

im 10k+ into my 2010 and no issues, but its still early i guess.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses! I should have mentioned that I am not planning to make ANY modifications. I am also a generally careful driver. I care mostly for the reliability of stock engine and transmission (no modifications), and little things like lifespan of brakes or suspension ...

· Registered
911 Posts
if you are buying new then you have a warranty for 5 yrs or 60k on the powertrain, most expensive parts to have to repair/replace.

the brakes/suspension are not going to last any shorter/longer than any other car, but it all depends on how you drive of course.

if you are buying used, thats a whole other ballgame. there are numerous used wrx buying guides on this forum.

· Registered
911 Posts
test drive a few cars. see what you think.

ive had mine for about 7 months, and while its fast as all hell and a hoot to drive, i do have a few gripes with the stereo sound quality, and the overall quality and fit and finish of the interior. the exterior paint quality also sucks. but, if i wanted a perfect interior and paint, i would have bought a lexus or an acura or any other number of bland luxury brands.

with a wrx, its give and take. you may have to sacrifice some things for the smile on your face when you hit full boost

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Due to pleasant past experiences with Japanese cars I wanted one this time as well. So I was looking for budget sporty cars below 30 000. To be honest I like only two: Civic SI (I have a regular civic right now) and a WRX. The later appeals to me much more because of awd, better suspension, transmission and overall power, yet not being much more expensive. I am also certain that audio and interior quality in wrx is not any worse than civic's (which I am fine with right now). I am only breaking my head over the question of reliability (I have 75000miles on a 2007 civic and it hasn't failed me yet).

· Registered
16 Posts
I absolutely agree with FSR Drifter, I owned a 2007 civic and it was a boring car to drive, but keep in mind it was designed to be inexpensive and a fuel saver, and that is where it was excelled. It was very dependable and got over 30 MPG in town driving. So look hard at what you are buying the car for and how it will be used. From personal experiances and what I've read, both are very dependable if not abused.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fsr drifter: that is precisely why I want an WRX now instead of a civic. Before now I simply couldn't afford it and went for cheap and good gas mileage. Now I want a wrx, just wasn't sure about the dependability.

· Premium Member
10,824 Posts
If you are buying new & not planning on modding ,like me,you can get an extended warranty.The gold plus warranty covers all wear & tear,parts & labor,rental car,towing,road hazard tire protection,roadside assistance for 7 tears or 70,000 miles,unlimited claims,zero deductible for around $1500.
I don't plan on driving more than 10,000 miles a year so it sounded like a good deal.Also if you sell the car before the period is up,the policy is transferable, you can either sell the policy to the buyer or apply for reimbursement on the remaining amount.

About the mpg,I'm gettin 25 mpg highway.

I'm a physician myself.Don't worry,if you don't have $ for repairs now,once u start working,after paying the student loan,you won't have any $ left over anyway :)

· Registered
2,145 Posts
If you are buying new & not planning on modding ,like me,you can get an extended warranty.The gold plus warranty covers all wear & tear,parts & labor,rental car,towing,road hazard tire protection,roadside assistance for 7 tears or 70,000 miles,unlimited claims,zero deductible for around $1500.
Maybe it has changed but I just got an extended warranty form in the mail. Now it is 6yr, 100k miles for $1500, maybe 7yr I can't remember :confused:

· Registered
95 Posts
I guess it depends who you ask, but my Dad has an 08 Si and I think the interior and audio system are vastly suprior over the WRX, also the gearbox is top-notch. The WRX has considerably more power and the AWD is nice in snow. I get tired of the constant creaks and rattles though, plus the Si exhaust note is beautiful even though the Subi has a better one when modified

· Registered
21 Posts
This really doesnt address you question, but gives you food for thought.
Im a 56 year old 2010 WRX owner.
Ive owned tons of preformance cars as daily drivers over the years, Vettes, muscle cars Chrysler 300 C, etc, etc.

There may have been a car or two that was more fun to drive then my WRX, but I honestly cant remember one.I drive the heck out of this car. When I find an empty roundabout I practice my drifting skills:D

Life is short, sometimes shorter then you realize.
Buy it

· Registered
354 Posts
+1 buy one.

If its tight money then learn to do the upkeep. Its almost all layed out in the oft forgotten newb question solving owners manual. If it simply blows itself up get it repaired under warranty. There is no point even driving this car if you aren't into the ins and outs of cars. Its not (quite) a hotoyonda appliance you DD 5 years+- and duplicate.

Maintenance or lack thereof by ignorant and or oblivious owners takes down FAR more vehicles then the obligatory first year defects or lemons.

Mine luckily is a pillar of reliability and drives (and is tuned) better then ever after hitting 6 figures. From birth. (3/01)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.