ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i'm considering getting a 2012 or perhaps wait for the 2013 WRX to get this car and on my research I have found that the transmission the 5MT some people say its junk then other people seem to think its just the drivers fault, right now my budget says that i can afford the wrx with ease although i would want an STI it might not be possible because I like a lot of room to breath when it comes to my budget. Anyway what is your experience on the matter is the 5MT transmission really junk? has it been revised and is it better built now? Like anyone that gets this car and is an enthusiast eventually I would like to maybe hit the track, as far as modifications go I plan to leave it stock for a long time, I just don't want to get into a new car and worry my transmission will fail if I push it a bit, I have even heard people who actually were babying the car and the trans still failed? What is the experience with these new model wrx?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I know a kid who blew 2nd in his 5MT... he's a clown though, and nothing short of it.

No first hand experience, but from forum observation, I haven't seen too many. I think most of the complaints come from the older (02 + some 03s I believe) 5MTs.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
the talk about the 5spd is basically that its not a strong transmission for racing, launching, autoXing, etc. The wrx is a quick street car, the STI is more of a track car for the street. Your standard rowing through the gears and spirited driving should be fine, even throwing in an autoX every once in a while. Just be careful

·
Registered
71 Posts
As long as your not constantly dumping the clutch and trying to redline every chance you get you'll be fine. I have a 2004 WRX and the transmission is quite durable. The thing with the transmission is that the more mods you put under the car, the more stress the transmission takes and the higher likelihood of it breaking will happen. The WRX and STI are not made like a Mustang or Toyota where you can tear it to hell and expect it to hold up without something going wrong. A majority of the transmissions I ever heard of someone breaking was due to them not taking care of their car and abusing the hell out of it. Example: Doing a 6.5K RPM clutch dump and then hard launching through 1st and 2nd. Take care of your car and it'll take care of you.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
i just picked up my wrx 2012 3 days ago and today backing out of a parking spot i had an issue with reverse. It wouldn't engage until i really slammed it down. scared me =/ hope this is just a break in thing and gets better.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
^ if you have trouble getting into either 1 or R, double-clutching will help (in neutral, let out the clutch and push it back in, then go in).

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
As long as your not constantly dumping the clutch and trying to redline every chance you get you'll be fine. I have a 2004 WRX and the transmission is quite durable. The thing with the transmission is that the more mods you put under the car, the more stress the transmission takes and the higher likelihood of it breaking will happen. The WRX and STI are not made like a Mustang or Toyota where you can tear it to hell and expect it to hold up without something going wrong. A majority of the transmissions I ever heard of someone breaking was due to them not taking care of their car and abusing the hell out of it. Example: Doing a 6.5K RPM clutch dump and then hard launching through 1st and 2nd. Take care of your car and it'll take care of you.
Uh oh, he said the M word!
You should NEVER dump a clutch on an AWD car. End of discussion.
And a Mustang is more reliable than a WRX/STi? Since when? Heck, if I recall correctly, Subaru beats Toyota at reliability too.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
119 Posts
i just picked up my wrx 2012 3 days ago and today backing out of a parking spot i had an issue with reverse. It wouldn't engage until i really slammed it down. scared me =/ hope this is just a break in thing and gets better.
Try putting it into first before going into reverse.

As for the transmissions, in my opinion, people tend to beat the hell out of the car then wonder why their trans goes. They will tell you they only launched it 3 or 4 times and that they are mad that they are told its driver responsible. Any launch is really too many times. When a two wheel drive is launched the tires spin...even if its just a little with good tires. With the AWD of the Subie it hooks up much better. This is considered to be an advantage for "launching". However, when the tires don't slip the power has to go somewhere and that would be the clutch and trans. In comparison to the older WRX there is 40 more HP with the 09+ witch means that much more strain on the clutch and trans. As stated above....take care of the car and you should be fine.

·
Banned
3,595 Posts
My 04 with the 5mt has been great. 190k and going strong. Original clutch too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've seen a lot of mustangs take a lot of power. My Tercel had 240K miles on it and still was running strong even after the head was going out. The motor burned oil like mad but it still kept strong. Never said that a Mustang is reliable, saying that those transmissions can take a fair amount of abuse before they drop out. Our transmissions are much more prone to breaking due to the fact we have an AWD system versus a RWD system. Just saying that the transmissions on the Mustang are possibly able to take more power and strain due to user error versus ours. It just seems the block and trani on a mustang is able to absorb more brute force, whereas we have to be more precise and careful.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Take home message is, don't abuse the car and it'll be very reliable :) Clutch dumping is just one way to abuse the car, there are many others.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the extra 40hp these newer cars have is why the transmission should be stronger now, upon further research it seems that 08+ cars have less transmission issues than others if any, i'm coming from a Honda and right now my 2nd gear pops out while engine breaking but I know it was from a bit of abuse... other than that the Honda has been super reliable, the STI is worth about 8k more and frankly i'm not going to track the car so much to justify the price

the way I drive is usually normal since I work about 5 miles away but on the weekends i like to get on the throttle hard usually while rolling I don't launch the car hard and i'm talking about a FWD with 130hp, i'm actually a bit scared of the drag strip first time i went to one i launched my car and after all my slow passes when i got home my slave cylinder was shot and clutch was in questionable condition lucky for me i could fix all that myself, that was my first experience at the track and i learned that if the car is not ready for it you'll probably break something

all that said I really like the car and just wanted to get the communities input on how the wrx stands in the transmission issues area as it seems its had many problems in the past, of the 16 replies there isn't anyone saying its garbage so it seems things are looking better

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
the extra 40hp these newer cars have is why the transmission should be stronger now, upon further research it seems that 08+ cars have less transmission issues than others if any, i'm coming from a Honda and right now my 2nd gear pops out while engine breaking but I know it was from a bit of abuse...
Yep, driving style counts big. My '02 puts out over 100hp more than the engine that it came with, but the stock transmission is still going strong at over 110,000 miles. I "roll in" to the power when I want it in 1st or 2nd.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so guys after visiting other forums for different awd cars including evo and gtr it seems that all awd cars suffer from the transmission issues, i was amazed that a $80K+ car had numerous reports of transmission blowing up and it seems that the driver is 100% at fault in most of them not all but the majority, the leason i'm learning before even having the car is because its awd doesn't meant you can clutch dump and the thing will be OK, actually the fewer reports and the strongest transmission seems to be the one on the STI...

so anyway there has to be someone here who actually uses the car as a weekend track car what is the driving style that one needs to apply so the transmission stays in 1 piece, i mean there has to be a way to actually launch the car from a dead stop besides clutch dumping that is appropriate, and shifting fast without damaging anything

my point is I don't think i can actually enjoy the car if every time i want to get going fast from a stop or shift fast i have to be worried I might break something..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts