Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a used WRX. I would prefer 2008 and up. 2004 and up if I went with an STi but I’m mainly looking at just the WRX. Does anyone have any recommendations for what year to go for and what years to stay away from. I’m currently looking at a 2013 premium hatchback.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Stay away from anything without maintenance records and/or is modified.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
I've seen people blow them up with 10k. I've seen people pushing 300k miles. Now its far more likely a 120k mile engine is going to fail sooner than a 20k mile engine. However, low mileage is no guarantee that everything will be fine.

Your best bet is to find a car with a maintenance record, unmodified, in a price range you can afford. That is really the best I can offer you. In general the WRX and the STI tend to be owned by folks who beat the life out of them and don't always take care of them the way their Colin McRae driving style requires.

All and all, this is what I would look for.

Less than 100k, with maintenance records and ZERO modifications. I would look for a car where the body and interior is taken care of. I would inspect the engine bay for signs of removed modifications like missing heat shields, parts that look oddly clean compared to the rest of the bay. Exhaust parts that look like they haven't had 5-15 years of crap burnt to it. I would ask the seller if they would be willing to have a pre purchase inspection done that upon a clean bill of health you'll cover with the purchase of the car. I would also avoid lots that "inspect" the cars they are selling. Sadly, we are reaching the point where the inspection is just looking at the car to verify that it is indeed in fact some sort of vehicle that is in their shop. Find a good local mechanic to take it to. In my experience a person who trusts what he is selling will be willing to foot 150 bucks for the inspection knowing that he will get it back on the sale.

There is nothing that will guarantee that you are going to get any used vehicle that will go the distance without some form of unforeseen major issue. You could buy a WRX with 200k miles and put another 200k on it. Or you could buy one and it blow up 20 minutes after you fork over the cash. Just cover your bases. Have a prepurchase inspection done. Look the car over in detail, and don't get in a hurry. They are a dime a dozen you just have to look around. Don't let some chump sell you on the fact they are more than econoboxes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I owned a 2017 wrx and loved it that’s why I’m in the market for another. It is just so hard to find them I modified...I kno it’s best to find zero modifications but most of the ones I’m finding with low enough mileage have at minimum exhaust and access port. I found maybe one that is unmodified.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I was in the market the first thing I wanted to make sure was done before I signed on the line was a compression and leak down test, just to make sure the motor is healthy. No mods preferably and a detailed maintenance record. If you find something you absolutely love and it has a cat back or axle back I wouldn’t call it the end of the world, just do your due dillegence and I highly recommend forking out the cash for the compression and leak down test, little cash up front may end up forgoing having to spend the money on a new block. Good luck in your search and you may just find a diamond in the rough!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts