Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX powered Datsun 720 Truck

8K views 71 replies 12 participants last post by  XJman 
#1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Started with a 1981 Datsun 720 truck powered by 60hp diesel. Figured it needed better handling and performance. Bought an 04 WRX
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Cut everything possible to get it narrow enough for the Datsun body
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Had to cut some more of the Datsun body to get it wide enough to slip over the WRX
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Now that I’ve got it sitting close to where it should be, start grinding cutting out rust and start building it back up

See less See more
#34 ·
Are all your panels mounted to the truck, and able to be driven?
love the chin spoiler!!
I’ve got all my sheet metal and parts here now, so hoping over the Christmas break to make some real progress
Right now the back of the cab is bolted down to the floor using big L-brackets. This is just so I can move it around slightly to adjust alignments. The box is bolted down with hockeypuck mounts just behind the struts for the same reason. Cab and box are sandwiched together Using slabs of steel inside of each with 8bolts running threw it. Everything else is just lightly tack welded for now. I been going in circles lopsening and tightening trying to get the alignment true but it seems that every time I get one spot right it throws off another. Also mine sits on the original subie rockers where your truck hugs them instead. My truck was to rotton and had no rockers left I also cut my door post off the truck to make a heavy set out of tubing.

#44 ·
I haven’t come across any other Subie swaps.
As far as the metal work I honestly haven’t done any previous body work at school or at home. I’ve done plenty of heavy metal welding but as far as shaping sheet metal this project is the first
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

I’m not going to be able to remove my fenders once the wide body is on so I gotta tear things apart again and finish off some welding and sealing of this seam before the fender gets mounted permanently. I’m planning on using POR15 to coat all this metal behind the fenders

#54 ·
I just looked it up and a stock WRX is 68.5” wide and I’m 70”. I’ve got 1” spacers mounted on it right now. I’m not sure if I’m going to use them when it’s time to drive it, but I wanted to make sure I made it wide enough to accommodate a wider wheel/tire combo in the future

#58 ·
Wow that a sweet little Vauxhall. It’s cool to see his pics where he cut the Subaru. Totally different from where I cut, or where you cut yours. I’ve started a YouTube channel https://youtube.com/channel/UCRredK3hV1khizWmWJBujcw
Or instagram @km_customs81
Trying to get the tailgate and box corners mounted and secured is proving to be more difficult then I originally thought. Hopefully get it sorted out here today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.