Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Started with a 1981 Datsun 720 truck powered by 60hp diesel. Figured it needed better handling and performance. Bought an 04 WRX
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Cut everything possible to get it narrow enough for the Datsun body
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Had to cut some more of the Datsun body to get it wide enough to slip over the WRX
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Now that I’ve got it sitting close to where it should be, start grinding cutting out rust and start building it back up

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
604 Posts
Awesome. You should YouTube this and make some money while you’re at it. These types of projects are trending right now.

·
In Æternum
17,155 Posts
I love big fab projects and have nothing but respect for the people that can do this type of work.

Good luck. We'll be watching :eek:

·
Little Homie
12,948 Posts
I love big fab projects and have nothing but respect for the people that can do this type of work.

Good luck. We'll be watching :eek:
I'm really impressed with the decision to keep the body pan of the wrx and build the mini truck chassis on top of it.

Lowers the need for crazy custom one off gear or adapters for drivetrain and suspension stuff plus allows usage of readily available parts on the market without the need to modify them.

This is either the best accidental plan or one of the most brilliant decisions regarding a project like this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

kind of hard to see here but I got the roll bar tucked up nicely along the A pillar. Had to do a little trimming on the roof structure to get it to fit up nice and tight. I’ve built 1/8” plate boxes for the roll cage to land on on the floor, and will be plating both the front and rear struts to connect everything up

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The floor pan is surprisingly rigid as far as sagging, when I was jacking it up to remove the struts there’s no lateral strength, like twisting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here’s some pics of the rear cage. I’ll be able to tack everything up then remove the rear supports and slide off the cab and fully weld all the tops , then reinstall the cab and rear supports. I think before I can weld the cab in place I’m going to have to weld the Subaru front cowl under the windshield, to try and seal up how the 2 different bodies tie together. Also gotta sort out the windshield wiper motor. Datsun was on passenger side but Subaru on the Drivers side, this is so much more work than I had anticipated. Super happy with how things are looking so far, I’m thinking of doing some kind of wing/spoiler off the roof roll cage piping, if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions let me know

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I finally got back to work on the Datsun. The cage is fully welded and I’ve got the interior cowl fully welded and seam sealed. Got to take it for a rip earlier today and I’m blown away how fast this little thing is
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Feels like a little go kart. Gotta get seatbelts and doors for the next drive

1 - 20 of 72 Posts