ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Any pics of the Regal? I'm a sucker for the turbo 3.8. Dream car is a GNX. Honestly a TBE and custom tune will actually increase your gas mileage. These cars run pig rich from the factory. Hell if you upgrade the turbo you will get better mpg's if your easy on the gas. Mainly due to being able to modulate the throttle more without hitting boost. I can drive around all day long in vacuum.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Lol @ Hotrodjunkie.

Don't listen to him. Mods are safe unless you drive like an asshat ALL the time.

Nice car btw!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Blew my clutch at 9k miles @ stage 2 and the dealer replaced it for free... Hotrodjunkie said he had a 400hp 02 or 03 and he blew the engine which makes Subaru unreliable. Never thought doubling the power to the wheels was bad for the engine if not modified correctly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The turbo buick community respects these cars. They are a very smart group of car guys. Some dont like imports but most recoginze a great car.

heres a couple pics of my buick as requested

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,445 Posts
Nice car.

I consider myself a car guy... but at the end of the day I'm not going to get upset or rush to defend the reputation of one multinational corporation over another multinational corporation. They can worry about that themselves if they wish.

If a car is good, I'll praise it, and if it's rubbish, I'll criticize it. Buick has made two of the most interesting motors in US car history -- the turbo 6 and the Al V8 that evolved into the UK V8. Many of their cars make me wonder whether they were sold with a free banjo, some would look good with the horns from a Texas Longhorn mounted on the nose, some I would love to drive to Las Vegas whilst smoking a cigar and wearing plaid pants and the widest, loudest 70s tie in the world etc. I can however find faults in almost any car, and since I particularly love mockery it's not like Subaru or Honda or Toyota get a free pass either.

When Buick or Subaru or insert-large-$$$-firm-name start worrying about what I think, I'll consider worrying about what people think of them.

Now, if there were a forum for 70s H U G E Buick station wagons, I'd be interested. The bigger, slower, and more 70s the US car, the more I'm interested (US sports cars are of no interest to me with a few exceptions). Tastes vary.

What ignition system are you using on your turbo Buick?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stock ign sys..... good for 10 sec et s

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,445 Posts
I had read somewhere that the electrics/electronics on the turbo 6 were tame by today's standards but well, well ahead of their time back then.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
I wasn't defending Subaru as a company or dissing any other car guy. Just simply stating that the one guy was wrong.

I grew up around American Muscle. My dad has had numerous muscle cars at one time or another. I have respect for each car in their own respect.

I was only trying to help a "new guy" feel safe knowing he can mod his car if he chooses. After seeing the pics of your Buick though I doubt you needed help there lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah the spark system uses a coil pack and module, also uses a knock sensor to retard timing when needed....so yes you are correct they were a little ahead of their time back then, most guys dont modify the ignition until they are pulling serious sub 10 sec et s.

I thought it was funny when the one guy said it wasnt safe to mod it...ha ha. Just like anything else, you have to do your homework. Thanks for the replies.... I knew the turbo buick guys would approve of the WRX.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
That is great that you have a Gizmo. I wish our parts were so aptly named.

It could be like "Hey how much power does that gizmo add?"
"Which gizmo?"
"This gizmo."
"Oh, no, that isn't a gizmo, this is a gizmo."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is great that you have a Gizmo. I wish our parts were so aptly named.

It could be like "Hey how much power does that gizmo add?"
"Which gizmo?"
"This gizmo."
"Oh, no, that isn't a gizmo, this is a gizmo."
ha ha i'D say if i feed it atfer midnight... it adds quite a bit of power....ha ha

·
Registered
633 Posts
I love that car...

·
Æternum
20,860 Posts
I disagree about one statement... my Fiance's MS3 gets worse fuel economy then my WRX. Those cars are always in boost and will see 16 mpg if driven spiritedly.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
big fan of the regals, my brother in law used to have one of those. good choices for both of them haha

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, Im enjoying the heck out of the wrx. I have only 500 miles on it in the month ive had it. But i notice people around here give that car respect. I enjoy the fact i dont see much of these cars at all on the road around here. kinda of nice to be different .
When i take the buick out its for short runs only cant leave it out of sight. Its been broke into 3 times and stolen once in the 23 years ive had it. Im very lucky I got it back, now it has 2 kill switches on it. You really dont see too many turbo regals anymore at least i dont.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts