Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
1,911 Posts
On NA cars it certainly improves throttle response and power across the board but I have to wonder how it will affect a car that is forcing air through it anyway. I don't see bored out throttle bodies on any turbo cars out of Japan so my guess is that the effect is probably pretty small. I'm sure it won't hurt though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
12whp +/- 2hp. I will have dyno figures next week. From a stock car.

TB Porting is $250
TB Blend/Taper $125 Same as Quantum
Manifold match porting is $50

Ken

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i did this with a dremel with my old car, it made quite a difference.....of course my car was NA so that could be why...but yea i just ground down the inside of the manifold and tb, and then polished it down with some of this dremel polising crap and it came out quite nicely

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen of JDM rides with ported TBs. Spoon offers ported TBs. My honda saw 10whp with a JG TB. In anycase, I'll have dyno numbers next week. We'll see then.

Aaron, you blended the TB or ported it with a Dremel?

Ken

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ken, looks good.
I guess I'll have to bring out the Quantum Racing Stage 3 TB. :)

BTW, second generation DSM owners have been switching their TB's out for larger first generation TB's for years. They are going up to 60mm whereas we are already there, so I haven't really thought it would be necessary.
Ken, you should try dynoing three TB's; stock, tapered and bored to see wherein lies the gains.

Also, the intake manifold opening is only 61mm (at least on the QR car) so you'd need to port that out which would require removing the manifold.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i took out 2 mm of material all around the inside so it was like 4mm wider i believe with like a rough dremel bit...then polished it out cause it was all scratchy...on the manifold however i took out like 3 or 4 mm all around.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok yours was blended, how long did that take you by hand?

Black, yeah man do that. Options are good for the market. The stock manifold entry is something like 60.74something mm. My manifold isn't ported yet, but it will be this Saturday. Didn't port it yet because we need the stock dyno figures. We won't be dynoing the tapered. No need for a 5hp mod me thinks.

Ken

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What portion are you speaking of? Manifold porting?
$50 for us to do it
Free if you do it

I should also mention, there have been no CELs and no idle problems with the ported unit.

Whats up with the order the posts keep falling in?

Ken

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
In porting the TB, your changing the diameter from end to end. Totally new bore. Mucho more flow. Very nice mod.

Tapering/Blending...Is just smoothing the transition from the edge of the throttle body to the throttle plate. Not as much work, that's why we don't charge as much.

Ken

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would expect that the peak HP will only improve by 10 or so at most. The most beneficial part of the entire modification (tapering and smoothing; what I do) is the fact that throttle response is much better and it seems to pull smoother. The peak flow is merely a bonus. I think the heads and TGV housings are also restrictive in terms of ultimate flow so I just wanted to offer a lower level mod.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ken said:
I will soon be offering these. What do you guys think? We will be offering 2.5rs TBs as well.

Pics:
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/deliciouspeed/lst?.dir=/Ported_TB&.view=l

Ken
I would definitely be interested if this was offered as a core exchange program ie you send a ported/polished TB with a core charge that is refunded when you receive the stock unit back within x number of days.

I would guess that most folks like myself dont want their car down for a week or more while they ship their stock TB in to be done.

Is that the way you will be doing these? very interested if so.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The plan is to get as many cores as possible. Subaruparts.com sells the unit for $536.33 + shipping for a brand new unit. The two recyclers I've been able to reach don't want to sell them unless the motor is trash. I'm exploring other options(friend at dealership). But he dosent get that great of a discount. For now, we have no cores. So anyone who wants one will have a small delay. We are doing the work though, so our turn around will be very fast.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts