Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mu friend in AU told me the cops over there use STI, EVO and Holden as cop cars since they need them to catch speeders.

Also it is cheaper for them to maintain then let say GM or Ford cop cars.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its a good thing we don't have that good of cop cars here in America. The scariest one we've got around the Dallas area is a Camaro. But no worries with those guys.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
lmao

that would be the worst. trying to outrun a cop in the same car as you.

"i wonder if he has an mbc, think i can take him?" :)

up here in boston, the state troppers are using the old 5.0 mustangs. totally unfair imo. what ever happened to the joy of the chase? :)

dR

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here in California the highway patrol used to use alot of 5.0 mustangs. Then after a few years they decided to buy a handful of cameros to try out. It seemed that a mid ranged high speed pursuit would cause the engine oil to not lubricate the bottom of the engines and they would blow up. So then they bought a butt load of Caprice Classics (Interceptors are what they are called with the police package). They have had those forever now and then bought a handful of turbo volvos. I have no idea how those are working out, i see one about 2 a month around here, they sure do look neat though. The idea being good fuel usage and power when needed. They still have a few of the Cameros but I dont think they actually use them for patrol, but they use them at comunity functions and in brochures cause they look cute i guess.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My girlfriend lives in upstate new york. Her father is a retired state trooper. He took me to have a look at the Camaros they use one night. Dont EVER try to beat one of those babys. Im talking nitrous, forged internals, titanium rings... etc. The claim to push around 400hp at the flywheel. Thank god for the Valentine 1 and stupid people to follow.... Guess we'll just have to beat em when its snowing and theyre out in the suburbans.....

Speed safely,

Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah! Post #1

In NJ (north/metro NY) the state troopers, or Gestapo as we call them us the old Caprise Classics and/or the Crown Victoria with the LT1 engines and no governor. HELLO! You'd think they were chicken shit but those things can haul ass like crazy. My neighbors a cop and he tells me that the SS mobiles (LOL more Nazi refrenses for the Racial Profile Squad... I mean NJ State Troopers) have been known to be able to catch up to very many cars including your typical JerzE style cars, i.e. Z28, 5.0, any and every Honda ever made, and actually I heard they can hang with some old Vette's... Chevette's that is!

·
Registered
4 Posts
ya caprice Intercepters/Impala SS are definatley fast I have beat a few Z28 and alot of mustangs with my Impala ss. The Intercepter is only slightly slower than the SS due to the extra wheight of the lights and computer gizmos. The Impala ss/intercepter is a 4400lb car stock so add on the extras the cops want/need and that is one heavy car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations, Luxcar101! You may be the most ignorant poster on this board I've seen.

Let us know when you're done playing GT3 and get your driver's license, eh?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't know about other states, but that is all a myth about the cop cars here in California. I know cops, I've seen the cop CrownVics run 19.5sec quarter miles at Sears Point Raceway!!! How slow can you go??! Our local police also have a Camero Z28 patrol car, and guess what? It's completely stock, except for all the EXTRA weight it had for the radios and crap.

Also, Motortrend did a test one time and found that the lightbars on the cars cause major drag and slow it's top speed alot. I think Top speed for a Police Interceptor Crown Vic is like 130mph, but damn, if it takes 20 sec to do a 1/4 mi, it'd take the car like 1.5 minutes to get up to 130mph!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I read in one of my Popular Mechanics about a test they did between the police interceptor crownvic and a stock one. The stock one won every event. It's basically a stock car with a lot of crap in it to make it heavier and handle more sluggishly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yesss! I read that article too!!! The stock crown Vic out accelerated 0-60 and 1/4mi. It also beat the Police Interceptor in the Slalom as well. And if I remember correctly, the Interceptor that they used to test didn't even have the lightbars on it. I'll be damned if I can't outperform a CrownVic!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
LOL you guys crack me up. Let me just say this...

Try not to break the law, and if you do... pull over!

Trying to outrun a cop has to be the stupidest idea, only idiots on TV try to do that kinda stuff :p hehe and yes I know you guys are just joking. Sorry for being a party pooper.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I thought running from the Police is for crazies on TV AND for people in the LA area (hence the 24/7 police helicopter)? Anything to be a star...

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
oh yah in case you guys dont' know, there are little magnetic plates underground (in california at least...) so they can track you down even if they can't see you, crazy huh?

·
Registered
126 Posts
About those Camaro cop cars...

The ones here in Chicago have Corvette engines in them. The mustangs here are pimped out too. There were a lot of newspaper articles on them. They called them "Batmobiles" because they were so damn fast, had all sorts of cameras and gizmos, and they were all jet black.

My auto integra doesn't stand a chance. WRX owners, you need to go off road to get away from these suckers. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
SuburbanRancher said:
Congratulations, Luxcar101! You may be the most ignorant poster on this board I've seen.

Let us know when you're done playing GT3 and get your driver's license, eh?
Well now that wasn't very nice.

Did anybody see the video of a guy in a Laser trying to outrun the cops? I forget what tv show it was. They couldn't keep up with the thing. Then they brought in the 5.0 stang and even that had trouble keeping up. I think it ended with a blown tire or engine, I forget, but the chase lasted forever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that was a turbo Talon and it burned out its turbo and the cops caught after he lost a couple tires if I remember right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I don't remember anything about the turbo blowing, but I remember him running into a ditch or somebody's driveway and shredding a tire or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dunno about other states but the highway patrol motorcycle officers here in california (at least the ones in s. cal) cruise around in friggin BMWs! :eek:. another time i saw a los angeles county sheriff dept. HUMVEE with the lightbar on top and everything...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.