ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, thought I would pop by and toss in my 2c on the Magnum RT. My father picked up a Vanilla Magnum RT a couple weeks ago. I got to drive it from time to time over the last week and here are my impressions. The following was copied and pasted with a few minor changes from another car forum I frequent because I'm lazy . So keep in mind this was not intended for people that already know a lot about the car.

First and formost let me point out, it is NOT a station wagon. It may look like a station wagon, and it may have the practicality of one, but the Magnum RT is a hot rod as soon as you sit in the drivers seat. It feels lowslung and aggressive, much like one would expect to feel in some chopped and slammed 30s hotrod, it even looks the part from the outside. The interior is very spacious, as to be expected. It's pretty minimalist inside, with a black dash and lots of little chrome accents around which lend to the hotrod feel of the car. The black dash material is a bit odd and almost sticky to the touch and some small accent parts seem a little cheap, but I'm not one to care a whole lot about interior materials. The light tan interior is pleasing to the eye and again simple. The best part of the inside is by far the white dials, but I've had a weird thing for those ever since Nissan put them in the Maxima.

Fire it up and you get the muted sound of what might be a V8 at idle, it's really hard to tell since the exhaust is rather subdued before the car is set in motion. The throttle on the car is a little odd at first, it's really tough to find that middle range area between snails pace and laying rubber. I see a recall or TSB in the near future for this one since it's to the point that it can startle you (my dad has a 8 foot patch of rubber at the bottom of his driveway to prove it). But it's a minor quibble that I'm sure will get worked out. Getting used to the feel of the car just rolling at around 30mph down a side street the first thing I notice is the car is stiff, and I'm reminded yet again this is no station wagon. It's almost rough, but not unpleasantly for me but I could see how some of the older or less enthusiast type crowd won't like it. It's reworked Mercedes E class suspension for those that don't know. To give you an idea I would say it's stiffer than the RX-8 and my WRX. It handles really well, but I never truely tested the limits 'sorry dad I just wrapped your new 35k car around a tree' was not coming out of my mouth, not this week at least . I think it's safe to say it handles well enough to please most auto enthusiasts, however at extreme limits some of the electronic gadgetry may bother some.

The Hemi, let's see... HOLY CRAP I forgot how much fun a big V8 could be. Mashing the pedal and listening to the engine is addicting, I found myself coasting to sub speedlimit MPH just to mash the pedal again for a few seconds. It pulls hard and efforftlessly and this was only in full auto mode (shifting well before redline), not in manumatic. I think it's one of the only times I've driven an AT and didn't wish I had gears to row through. The brute force of the torque and horsepower along with the great sound of the Hemi is intoxicating and mates very well to the AT. I finally understand why so many of the big V8 guys prefer the auto tranny. I'd liken the acceleration feel to a pissed off charging bull while the WRX is more like an angry cheetah.

It's a great car and my hat goes off to Chrysler, it's a great package all around and I'm looking forward to driving it again in the near future. Don't like the wagon and want a little less hotod and a little more luxury the 300C should fit the bill.

Forgot to mention the part where the cars runs off of 4 cylinders at cruising speed isn't even detectable, nifty little gas saving feature I say.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Eh. They are alright I guess. They just remind me of the batmobile on the newer cartoons.

Nice power, but looks don't cut it for me.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SubaruWRX2k4 said:
Eh. They are alright I guess. They just remind me of the batmobile on the newer cartoons.

Nice power, but looks don't cut it for me.
To each their own, our WRXs aren't exactly things of beauty to most people. I've always like the grill on the Dodge pickups so I like it on the Magnum, I think it's a big mean looking car.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
those are def hot, me likey

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Yeah, a little pricey. Plus there's no manual option, which is a deal-breaker for me.

It is a cool, powerful vehicle, though...:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
"Hey, that thing gotta Hemi?", "your bout to find out!" "SWEEEEET!" Get off me grandpa your crushing my smokes!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Coincidentally, a vendor for my company has one parked in front of our building right now. The color is "inferno red", and looks like a cross between red and burgandy. It's actually a very cool looking wagon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i bet you anything they eventually do a sedan version of that to compete with the chrystler 300. I see so many 300''s around here its not funny. Its the poor mans bentley

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep in mind my dad is 63 years old and owns a real estate company so he needs something with a lot of backseat room and also space in the back for signs. I think those things considered it's a pretty cool car and fits his needs rather well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ShoalinStyle7 said:
i bet you anything they eventually do a sedan version of that to compete with the chrystler 300. I see so many 300''s around here its not funny. Its the poor mans bentley

There is already a sedan and coupe version in the works, as well as a SRT-8 which will have a reported 6.1L Hemi with 425hp.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts