ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , I am new to this forum . I am in the market for a WRX and was just wondering if the Sti is worth the extra cash for a daily driver ? I already have a weekend toy ( 993 ) and I am not going to track this car. I am looking to spend around 30K . The 5 door hatchback is very nice ( little more cargo room for the family ) What do you think ? go big ?
Thank you :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,467 Posts
Buy a new WRX for that $.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A new STi is around 40 K up here in Ontario, and I can't imagine driving off the dealer lot and the value dropping considerably. I would rather buy used in todays economy

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What kind of 993 do you have?

Would you consider your driving style to be aggressive and/or spirited on a regular basis? You can definitely notice the difference between an STI and a WRX if you're used to high performance cars like the 993, but it's mainly during spirited driving.

Personally, as a Porsche guy and somebody that likes high performance cars, I never even considered the WRX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 95 C2 Black on black manual. I tend to be fast , but I don't want speeding tickets , and take the fast driving to the track with the p-car.
I was thinking of an economical car ( 4 cyl. ) for a DD ,family car ..
I just got a reply elsewhere , he says that the STI 's have fragile pistons for certain build versions ? and the wrx does not have the same issues.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
he's full of crap.

They use the exact same hyperheuretic cast pistons. Only difference is the dimension of the individual piston

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
09 WRX engines have a reliability issue (spun bearings)

06+WRXs have a 2.5L engine
02-05 WRXs have 2.0L engines.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yup all of the other engines than the '09 are just fine and very reliable.

If you really enjoy spirited driving, then I'd go for an STI. I was able to get mine for $1000 under invoice for a Limited model (leather/heated seats, sunroof, BBS wheels, and I think a few other extras). While the WRX might be fine for 99% of your driving, when you do have a little fun in the car the STI really shines above and beyond the WRX. The suspension in the STI is amazing. I took it to a Porsche DE event at a track here last month and the instructor I went with was amazed how good the car was with a factory suspension setup. Since you do track days, I'd definitely say get the STI because you'll want to track it even though you have the 993 to track. Even though I have a 996 Turbo, I still track my STI too because it's such a fun car on the track.

·
Registered
633 Posts
2009 WRX built after Sep do not have the engine problems. You should be fine with a 2009+ WRX. It's a good daily driver with the power of the STi. But if you plan on tracking the car any i would go with the STi... Better tranny, suspension...

·
Registered
633 Posts
2009 WRX built after Sep do not have the engine problems. You should be fine with a 2009+ WRX. It's a good daily driver with the power of the STi. But if you plan on tracking the car any i would go with the STi... Better tranny, suspension...

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I have no idea what that means... Am I the only one???

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
no, not the only one.... appears to be a troll....4 posts, none of them make much since, and all have a link for some coupon code

1 - 16 of 16 Posts