ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i know its a wrx forum but i wanted to see wat you guys thought. Im 17 and i have been driving for a year and i was wondering what every1 thought would be a better starter car?

Legacy 2.5L Gt

or the WRX

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Hey guys i know its a wrx forum but i wanted to see wat you guys thought. Im 17 and i have been driving for a year and i was wondering what every1 thought would be a better starter car?

Legacy 2.5L Gt

or the WRX
A used beat up but yet still reliable honda or toyota product.

If you are hung up on Subaru then I'd try to snag a 2.5i until you get the whole "driving" thing down.

If you must have one of the two posted above I'd look into the legacy. A bit of a larger car but has more creature comforts. Insurance will be cheaper and you'll garnish less attention from the police/street racer types.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea I know if I was 17 and had a new WRX I would have probably gotten myself in a little bit of trouble. I mean **** I'm only 22 now so I still gotta check myself so I don't do nothing that stupid. I Drove a 95 accord for a few years so this car is a big improvement. So i guess I would agree with [email protected] and say get something with not as much power.

·
Registered
193 Posts
what do you do for work if you can afford a 08 wrx(about $25k) or legacy(about $28k)?

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
what do you do for work if you can afford a 08 wrx(about $25k) or legacy(about $28k)?
i'm gonna jump in here and defend the youngins. i got my wrx when i was 17. she was 23k. put 3k down. paying 300 a month. i worked as a waitress and made pretty decent money. (i'm 18 now) and working at at&t wireless making 12.54 an hour. its very possible to afford if you know how to manage your money.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i'm gonna jump in here and defend the youngins. i got my wrx when i was 17. she was 23k. put 3k down. paying 300 a month. i worked as a waitress and made pretty decent money. (i'm 18 now) and working at at&t wireless making 12.54 an hour. its very possible to afford if you know how to manage your money.
Not for nothing , but do most of you youngins (17 to 20 yrs ) still live at home with your parents , or have roommates ? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Not for nothing , but do most of you youngins (17 to 20 yrs ) still live at home with your parents , or have roommates ? Just curious.

i still live with my parents so i dont have to pay for rent or anything like that. i do pay for my gas, car insurance, car payment, clothes, food if i go out, etc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I saved up a lot and traded my car and bought my WRX. It is helpful to live with parents but I got leave for med school in July so I'm enjoying it until then. And even then I'll get student loans lol.:)

BTW I pay for my car, insurance, gas, credit card, phone, cable, internet, school, etc.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Just because someone lives with their parents, it doesn't mean they don't pay rent - maybe they'd rather give rent money to their parents instead of a scumbag landlord (not that I know anyone in this situation lol) :p

·
Registered
0 Posts
well im 23 wait 24 now and im looking at a legacy spec-b instead of an sti...
legacys are pretty nice and quick and dont get as much attention from the po-po

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Almost 22 and I have the same feelings.

The STI is nice but overall I think the Spec would be a tad bit more suitable to my needs. Not to mention you'd be the hit of every Subaru meet.

·
Registered
460 Posts
speaking from experience I drove my dads STi around a bit - I didn't drive it all the time but when I did I drove like a retard. after 400 miles the car was totaled cause of me......... I thought I could handle it........ I couldn't I'm damn lucky I am alive and now I have learned the lesson but the hard way- I probably would have chosen not to be able to drive an STi and not crash one. So just remember you may think you can handle a fast car, but most likely you can't. I agree with who ever said 2.5 I'd go with like an 07 you can get one of those realllllllllllllyyyy cheap now that the 08s r out. So just remember even if you think you can handle it and drive like a normal human being YOU CAN'T. UNLESS YOU HAVE TOOOOONS OF SELF CONTROL which if u r a 17year old boy you probably don't

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd start small...I got my 05 WRX about a year ago when I was still 19 and I've gotten a few tickets since then. The less you're noticed at your age the better, trust me. I have a friend who drives mega speeds faster than me and has never gotten a ticket because he drives a crappy old sunfire. Me who does 6 over and the SWAT team is throwing guns in my face (slight exaggeration). Fly under the radar dude :thumbup:

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
what your 24 years old???? fo real son?

edit AWWW my 1k post.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well i got my WRX recently and I'm 17 and i love it very much. I don't do stupid stuff that would cause extra attention from anyone, especially the po-po. Theres a time and a place for everything, and a big difference between doing stupid stuff and just driving responsibly yet still having fun, but maybe thats just me. I have noticed that the wrx gets a little bit of attention though, especially from other people with Scions/integras/civics etc. Scion Tc drivers seem to be the biggest idiots of all that i've encountered.

I think a wrx is a great car to drive, and I like the '08 model a lot. If I had that much money to spend I think I would get a used STi or EVO, but then again its all preference. I'm not really all for buying a new car... what can i say :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts