ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 WRX Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I’m new to the forum, I have an 18 WRX CVT ...my question is when should I have my transmission fluid changed? I’m at 25,000 Miles ATM. I don’t know much, Learning, Please be kind.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,214 Posts
Check owner's manual.

·
Registered
2018 WRX Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Owners manual says up to 100k fluid can still be good.... with that being said When should I change the trans fluid to prolong the life of my car

·
11,231 Posts
When it needs it. I changed the fluid on my cvt Subarus when I bought them both. The legacy at 70k, then again at 100k and the Forester at 40 k when I bought it. And will again at 70k.

Subaru recommends inspecting the fluid. Well eyeballs don't account for inspection so i err on the side of caution. On the other side, Two Subaru dealerships told me that 100k is when they do it and only one would do it.

·
Registered
2018 WRX Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you that’s very helpful, I’ll try and find a dealership to change it at 30,000. This may sound dumb but how will actually know they changed it?

·
11,231 Posts
Trust, or getting in there, draining pulling some, sending it off for a used oil analysis then doing the same after the change.

I paid Subaru to do it because after some reading and chatting with people having the fluid purged or vacuumed out entirely was the better solution. Neither one i felt like doing myself.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Thank you that’s very helpful, I’ll try and find a dealership to change it at 30,000. This may sound dumb but how will actually know they changed it?
I'm confused. You read the manual suggestion and yet you are still going to change prematurely? What's the reason?

Reactions: christineM

·
Registered
2018 WRX Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I will have to trust then. Thanks for the info. Zax, the reason I inquired in the first place was because my car will sometimes shutter or lag upon acceleration. After spending an hour on google I think it could possibly have something to do with transmission fluid. I drive ALOT and want to make sure I’m being proactive and giving my CVT lots of TLC

·
11,231 Posts
Looks like I will have to trust then. Thanks for the info. Zax, the reason I inquired in the first place was because my car will sometimes shutter or lag upon acceleration. After spending an hour on google I think it could possibly have something to do with transmission fluid. I drive ALOT and want to make sure I’m being proactive and giving my CVT lots of TLC
You'll have to be more detailed with the description because shutters are more often than not engine related.
Snake oil fix.
Maybe, my buddy's nissan did the same thing before he changed the fluid in his.

·
Registered
2018 WRX Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It shutters slightly upon acceleration...also makes a strained almost whining noise when I slow down. I wish I could detail it more for you, I get oil changes every 3,000 miles, no engine mods, just a nameless Exhaust.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,214 Posts
You might be able to get decent audio of the events if you've not got too much road noise and exhaust noise going on. If you do, you could post it here and elsewhere and see if anyone has the same noise.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Having never owned or worked on a CVT, I'm not sure I can bring much value to the conversation technically.

However, I will say that GENERALLY new owners are overly sensitive to sound. Mechanical "things" make noise and we should expect so much. In general, 99% of the time it most certainly well within working order. When things do go south, they generally go south so quickly that there isn't much forewarning.

You should hear my bikes -- they rattle, bang and grind, then run for 150,000+ miles (in the case of my '83).

·
Registered
2018 WRX Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone’s input has been super helpful :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
There's some truth to what Zax says. Sometimes when I listen to my transmission at low speeds it sounds rattly to the point where something is wrong with it. Then, I remember my WRX and previous STI and realize they sounded equally as fucked up.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I had a 13 WRX, 15 STI, and now a 18 STI. All of them occasionally made a low level deceleration sort of rattle/vibration sound at low speeds, which seemed to be coming from the transmissions. Despite being adult driven, they all had their certain quirks, including my wife's Crosstrek. As someone said, I think a lot of it has to do with our over-attentiveness to our cars. I'd be more concerned with a change in sound over a subtle consistent sound and a functional car.

If you had actual problems, I would think changing the transmission fluid would only be a bandaid. It's best just to talk the issue over with a dealership tech and at least have the issue documented.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a 2017 WRX CVT w/ 40k miles on original CVT oil. I'll probably change it at 70k. OEM recommendation is usually conservative, but I'm at Stage 1, so 70k seems reasonably early. If the tranny is full with the original OEM oil, Changing at 30k is way too early IMO.

Reactions: christineM
1 - 20 of 22 Posts