Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I have a 2006 WRX and the car decided not to boost anymore :(.

Driving normally one minute spooling fine, next second there's no boost.

Mods:

Downpipe
3" Catback
GFB Bov

I've replaced the following bits and didn't fix the issue.

Installed stock BPV
Replaced Y-Pipe
Checked C-Clip

Car isn't showing any CEL's, I did a fault code scan and showed 0 engine codes only 'Front ABS Sensor'

I did some data logging and the max boost I was hitting was 4.9 PSI.

Car hesitates a bit just before hitting boost.

Also the car does make a chain like noise at low rpms, when starting off or at low rpms. (Has been happening for a while, still boosted fine)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Do you have the proper map for those parts? Have you done a vacuum and boost leak test? Checked for exhaust leaks? Possibly something with the restrictor for the wastegate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the proper map for those parts? Have you done a vacuum and boost leak test? Checked for exhaust leaks? Possibly something with the restrictor for the wastegate

Don't have a map I think, I don't know too much about this car. The only mod I've done is change the blow off valve and intercooler. I can only go off with what I see which is the downpipe seems to be aftermarket and the exhaust is a 3" catback.

Should I get a new restrictor line? If so can you link me to one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
The car needs to be tuned for those mods.. hopefully the loss of boost isn't because the engine has suffered an internal failure due to the lack of proper tuning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car needs to be tuned for those mods.. hopefully the loss of boost isn't because the engine has suffered an internal failure due to the lack of proper tuning.
I was going to get it tuned after I installed my VF43. However, the motor seems healthy the no boost issue occurred while I was driving, just randomly no boost but didn't hear anything break or fall off.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
I would stop while you are ahead and take it to a performance shop. Have them check compression and do a leak down test, fog the intake tract and check for leaks, and verify the tune.

I have no idea what a chain sound is, maybe a heatshield.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
What everyone else said. A downpipe on the car requires a tune. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Running that car for an extended amount of time with no tune will cause catastrophic engine failure. My advice to you is basically what everyone else is saying.

1. Keep the stock bpv on the car, ditch or sell the bov
2. Do not drive the car if possible, if you must drive it, stay entirely out of boost
3. Get it to a performance shop ASAP and have everything done to it that XJ mentioned.
4. <1000 bucks to get it checked out and tuned properly is much less than the >2000 it will cost you for a new shortblock.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
pssssst, this part has been taken care of.

Call a flatbed, take it to a shop.
Lol not really. He said he is getting about 5psi. So there is SOME boost.

However let me reiterate since "no boost" is the issue.

Drive the car like you are an 84 year old woman on her way to her weekly Friday night bingo game. Do not drive it hard. Shift around 2500 rpms. And don't mash the throttle.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I should've also noted that there was white smoke when I boost. I have a feeling that my turbo is gone. Should I just replace it with the VF43?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I should've also noted that there was white smoke when I boost. I have a feeling that my turbo is gone. Should I just replace it with the VF43?

I suppose if you already have the turbo you could throw it on and try to tune the car.. I wouldn't be spending money on any more parts until you get it fixed though. If it were me, I would do a compression test before anything else and decide if it's even worth fixing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should also note, the car was boosting before I changed the tmic and stock bpv. About a week later it started to not boost, however the weird thing is the GFB BOV works when the car is idle and revved out (it's quite loud) but when driving it doesn't work.

The reason I changed the tmic, is for what ever reason the previous owner had a Forester TMIC on it.

So I assume the turbo still works?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts