ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at buying a 2002 wrx it has a turbo back exhaust cai i am looking for a little more power i want to hit 300 what can i do to hit that and have a relible car?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
pappasmerf118 said:
i am looking at buying a 2002 wrx it has a turbo back exhaust cai i am looking for a little more power i want to hit 300 what can i do to hit that and have a relible car?
Through in a gutted or aftermarket upipe and a COBB Stage2 Access Port.

Get rid of the Cai. and put back the O.E.M Intake/filter. (Flame suit on)

You will get around 285 or so.

Your tranny needs "Loving care" at those (or even stock) horseys, Treat it nice and it will like you.

The car will be only as "reliable" as the way you drive it......

ALSO, Keep in mind the guy that owned/modded it might have beat on it.....Check it out VERY well before you lay down your cash!

Shotgun

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
pappasmerf118 said:
why put on the stock air box and put on a flame suit? and stage 2 what. i am sorry i am new to the lingo
Im sorry to confuse you about the lingo......

Alot of the guys that run the WRXs think that the cai makes the WRX run abit lean, especially when you put in a engine management system (Cobbs,Ecutek,etc) hence the reason to revert back to your Stock air intake system, This is just my opinion so do as you will.

Flame Suit?, Well that is when one would say somthing contriversil (me in this instance) and someone may come on and say things to the oppisite and sometimes alittle uglier:)

An "Upipe" is the part of the exhaust that leads into your Turbo and is somewhat restrictive because of the Catilytic converter that is inside it, It blocks a bit of the exhaust gasses from your engine and takes a bit of horspower away (5-10?), You do NOT have to remove it and replace it with one that is "Catless" but if you want to step up the ladder and get every last pony out of your motor it is one of the pieces to consider.
Stage 2 is an engine management Software/hardware device that alters the parameters of you Engine Countrol Unit (E.C.U) and gives you more horsepower by changing the way your engine is getting its Timing/airflow/fuel mixture,etc,etc.

It is available at COBBS TUNING Co. in Utah and is $600, There is a wait on them right now as they are fairly new and in high demand.

There are other engine management systems that do basically the same thing but some are more expensive.

Do a search in the forums under "Electronic Engine Management" to gain more insite into how these work.

Welcome to the Club by the way.;)

Shotgun

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well what can i do to get to 390 hp and keep all stock internals i know this sounds dump i am not very fumilier with turbo cars i am more of a na guy but i like them alot so i apreciat all the help i can get and sorry for the spelling errors i have a hard time spelling and thank u for the welcoming

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
pappasmerf118 said:
well what can i do to get to 390 hp and keep all stock internals i know this sounds dump i am not very fumilier with turbo cars i am more of a na guy but i like them alot so i apreciat all the help i can get and sorry for the spelling errors i have a hard time spelling and thank u for the welcoming
Well if it makes you feel better, NO ONE can beat me for spelling errors!!:D

390hp on stock internals (especially the stock transmission) is not a very good idea for most/average owners running a "Stock" driveline/tranny.,

Our transmissions stock are alittle fragile when it comes to higher horsepower.

Remember we have All Wheel Drive instead of just two wheels powering us around,
And in an All Wheel Drive you put a tremendous amount of strain on the driveline when you may try to spin the tires or launch it at high RPMs,
The tires RARELY spin from a start and you most likely will sooner or later destroy your stock transmission.

I feel I am at the limits of power my car can generate "safely" on stock internals (Mainly Transmission) at 285hp and that is stressing it if you are not careful the way you launch/shift your car.(Clutch drops, Higher rev launchs,etc)

From what I understand the originel transmission is based on an older design made for around 150 or so H.P and cannot be "abused" without being damaged sooner or later.

If I were to increase my power beyond what I have now (even though I drive conservativly) I would DEFINETLY upgrade my transmission to a stronger set of gears!

Do a bit of research on the forum and evaluate your needs.

I am sure you will come up with somthing to give you plenty of bang for the buck.

Just dont treat it like a two wheel drive and try doing a John Force burnout...;)

Shotgun

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
well you can get different gears in your tranny that are stronger, or if you have the money you can go for the STI tranny....do a search and you will probably find a ton of info on this topic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just get an STi if you're aiming for 300 hp. If you get an wrx and dump enough money to make it just as good, it'll be enough to buy a brand new STi, so it probably isn't too worth it. It's kind of like the RSX base modding to beat a RSX-S, unfortunately i have the base :( but i'm hoping to go F/I in a few years :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heres what i want i wanna run a 12.4 1/4 mi so i can beat ls1 camaros i want to spen more time focasing on suspension what can i do to meet those goals i really appreciat all the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i cant afford an sti i can afford a wrx though my plans are to get a fmic, ecu, dyno tune, boost controler, turbo timer, bigger turbo, and a trans and supporting mods for the engine its gonna be a project i have some connections and i think i could do it. what does a stock wrx run? and what could i see with these mods i see kits selling for around 5gs that will get u in these numbers. only thing i worry about is the tranny but i can always get a built tranny.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
pappasmerf118 said:
i cant afford an sti i can afford a wrx though my plans are to get a fmic, ecu, dyno tune, boost controler, turbo timer, bigger turbo, and a trans and supporting mods for the engine its gonna be a project i have some connections and i think i could do it. what does a stock wrx run? and what could i see with these mods i see kits selling for around 5gs that will get u in these numbers. only thing i worry about is the tranny but i can always get a built tranny.
and you can't afford an STI?? did ya really think this through?

:confused1

·
Registered
818 Posts
the fmic is going to run you a little over 1k typically, the new turbo is going to run you atleast 1k, and the new tranny is going to be a MINIMUM of 3k and thats probably without all the labor your going to have to pay a tranny shop. thats 5 grand by itself, a new ECU or ECU reflash or a piggyback system is going to run you a couple hundred dollars and if you go with the turboxs piggyback system thats going to be another 1k. but dont forget that if you upgrade the turbo your probably going to have to upgrade the injectors, pump and for the icing on the cake fuel rails. then if your looking for suspension mods thats probably going to close to double the total from above.

my suggestion, save up if you need to and get the STi, you get the 300 horses you want and you get a warranty. now dont get me wrong, modding is fun, but had i got the chance i would have STi'ed myself. the STi has a stronger platform for more HP if you want more down the road too.

this is all strictly IMO, of course, do what you please.

good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes i know save up for an sti well i cant do that right now with the sitchuation im in i have been looking at stage kits and i can get some up to 350 whp for around 4500 no thats not bad. i have hook ups though and labor i dnt have to worry about. certian things yes but mostly no. tranny is going to be a biggy but u never know what u might find.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Ya know PapaS.,

I been thinkin about it and ya might wanna just go with a Dodge SRT.

300hp outta the gate and you get your front mount I/C.

And you can get other goodies to bring you up to power for less than you would spend on the Rex.

I think it might be more an approprite car for ya cause you seem like you wanna drag race more than own a Rallye car.

Just my o2

Shotgun

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ok i want 260 whp is that out of this world from what i see u can have 260 whp and run a 12.5 i think thats fine for me so what are we talking the car already has a turbo back exhaust intake bov i believe so what injectors, turbo, upper pipe, ecu, bigger intercooler, pullies, and fuel pump to be safe for engine mods

ya see i use to drag race so its hard for me to get out of it what i want is a good quick street car with good preformance cuz want i wanna do next is auto cross i want good power with good suspension i cant get a sti and i want awd so that nocks out the srt4 i really like the wrx and i want a good fun and quick car

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm beggin' ya, for the love of all that is holy, THROW IN A PERIOD OR COMMA ONCE IN A WHILE!! I think you'll get a lot more replies 'cause people won't have to deciper your giant run-on posts.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts