Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at buying a used wrx I am curious who has the highest miles on there car. I have a Legacy with 200k and still running, how much will the turbo take out of the life of the car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm very careful with my car. I'm not a mechanic but can take care of few things on my car. Worked on the exhaust with a friend and worked on my other mods myself. But... now way in hell I would ever buy a used WRX. I wouldn't even sell it to a friend or family member. I'm too honest too and would suck at any salesman position in the first place.
If I would be a mechanic, I could probably see how much work the car would need. Or if there is a major problem with it, I could fix it for cheap myself. So I would personally stay away from buying a used WRX.

Like I said before, still waiting on some statistics for US owners on broken transmissions on WRXs(2001,2002,2003) compared to Australia, European and Japanese... that should tell us a lot about stupid kids and drag racing.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I expect to get 200,000 out of mine. You still see plenty of old Turbo Legacies and GL-10s around. Plus they get that kind of mileage out of them in England, OZ, etc. where they have had them for close to ten years.

But I do agree with ticrab. Take a long hard look at who you're buying it from and how its been treated. The tranny would be the main point of concern there (takes the most shock when mistreated). Plus watch the wastegate hoses for signs of an MBC installation.

Subarus are pretty popular in WA, right? Around here they're very popular, and you see a lot of middle-aged women driving them just because they want the top-of-the-line model. I talked to a guy yesterday who was driving a CRV. He said he only passed on the WRX 'cause he's 6'4", 250lbs and it was uncomfortable to crawl into. My point is that not all WRXs have been modded and driven hard. In places where Subarus are not very popular, a higher proportion will be bough by people who buy them for the performance. In places where they are, a lot of people will buy them just because they want a Subaru, and the Impreza is small and cheap and the WRX has the "big" motor and all the options.

There is also a difference between driving a car hard and abusing it. I drive the canyons very fast and am on boost a LOT. But I'm easy on the tranny and anal about maintenance. I expect my car to go a long LONG way and if I were to ever sell it, I could honestly tell someone that they are getting a good, dependable, long lasting car.

Heck, you've got a 200k Subaru, you know!!

Chris

·
980 Posts
I have heard great things about previous Subaru's lasting a long time. If you take care of it, it should take care of you. Regular maintanence / cleaningis really all it takes to keep her running smooth and happy. Im almost at 10K miles and about ready to start replacing the wear items since I've autoX'd a few times and rack up alot of highway miles these days. Even stock, highway on and off ramps are still fun :D

GV27, did u manage to catch the Legends of Motorsports on tonight? It was the 1982 Swedish Rally featuring the Audi Sport Quattro. I'll take one PLEASE!!!!

chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
True - I have honesty seen just as many girls driving wrx's around here as guys... I think the statement about just getting the highest end model is correct where the scoobs are popular. Also, think how many are sold vs. how many people post on Internet forums about the mods they've added to the car.

-snowcat

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Subarus are extremely popular in WA.
I cant go for a 5 minute drive without seeing atleast 10.
Though I see WRX's maybe 2 every 2 weeks.
Now in CA, I dont think I saw one in my 2 week visist, and we did LOTS of driving.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
ticrab said:

Like I said before, still waiting on some statistics for US owners on broken transmissions on WRXs(2001,2002,2003) compared to Australia, European and Japanese... that should tell us a lot about stupid kids and drag racing.
One of the best points about North American "performance drivers".....

What's all this talk about the WRX being the top of the line model? I understand that many people only got interested into Subaru because of the Impreza WRX(and into rally because of it as well)...but do you guys not know of Legacies and Outbacks? Or about the H6 equipped cars?

·
Registered
26 Posts
ticrab said:
... that should tell us a lot about stupid kids and drag racing.
:rolleyes:

Tell me a time when "stupid kids" (yourself included, you were one once too, supposedly) weren't interested in fast cars and drag racing. Just think back to how YOU would have treated it as a kid - theres your answer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
cobra117 said:

:rolleyes:

Tell me a time when "stupid kids" (yourself included, you were one once too, supposedly) weren't interested in fast cars and drag racing. Just think back to how YOU would have treated it as a kid - theres your answer.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was waiting for that one... I guess you don't know who I am and where I come from, huh? Let me tell you this: where I come from, we don't do drag racing because it could be fun a couple of times and then boring, because it's bad for your car's transmission especially with an AWD where all the stress goes to the tranny and not the tires spinning and burning(don't get me started on the so called "tire burnout and it smells good" crap...). Yes I was a kid. Yes my car would have looked ricey if I would have been 10 years younger with a WRX.

My point? Here it is:
Subaru had and still have a reputation of selling Outback and Legacy. A LOT of people don't know what the WRX is. A LOT of people laugh at the WRX because when their owners say it's fast, people have a grin on their face, roll their eyes, and think quietly "What's that guy on?!? It's a damn Subaru!". So what kind of average customer does Subaru have? Do you think all the Outback owner have orgasms talking about modding their cars? Do you think Legacy owners talk about 1/4 mile and what they can do about street racing on the weekend? No. Chances are they are like a Camry daily driver. Or a Sonata driver. Or a Stratus. Keep that in mind. Would Subaru design their AWD system plateform for illegal or not drag racing on the weekend with people modding it to increase their HP? They want it to be reliable and take a certain abuse. Please try to have a off record lunch with some of their engineers if you could and talk about what they designed it for.
This is why I said I would like to know how many tranny will be broken for all the Subaru sold in the US vs all the broken tranny in every other country, then a detailed comparison for each model(Outback, WRX, etc). I'm curious.
The mechanic at the dealership in town told me they never had that many tranny problems before on Subaru up until the WRX came out. I read posts of kids arguing "their old Camaros would last and that stupid WRX is weak" now they broke the tranny. Why? The stress and energy involved has to be dissipated somewhere. Apprently to some of those people, Subaru should fix that problem. I don't have a PhD in Physics but I know better.
.(by the way, soon enough we will hear non Subaru owner saying "I have a friend who heard more and more Subarus have transmission problems"... and there goes Subaru's reputation... would it be justified?)

What are we going to talk about next? Kids suing fast food places because they are fat? Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ticrab said:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was waiting for that one... I guess you don't know who I am and where I come from, huh? Let me tell you this: where I come from, we don't do drag racing because it could be fun a couple of times and then boring, because it's bad for your car's transmission especially with an AWD where all the stress goes to the tranny and not the tires spinning and burning(don't get me started on the so called "tire burnout and it smells good" crap...). Yes I was a kid. Yes my car would have looked ricey if I would have been 10 years younger with a WRX.

My point? Here it is:
Subaru had and still have a reputation of selling Outback and Legacy. A LOT of people don't know what the WRX is. A LOT of people laugh at the WRX because when their owners say it's fast, people have a grin on their face, roll their eyes, and think quietly "What's that guy on?!? It's a damn Subaru!". So what kind of average customer does Subaru have? Do you think all the Outback owner have orgasms talking about modding their cars? Do you think Legacy owners talk about 1/4 mile and what they can do about street racing on the weekend? No. Chances are they are like a Camry daily driver. Or a Sonata driver. Or a Stratus. Keep that in mind. Would Subaru design their AWD system plateform for illegal or not drag racing on the weekend with people modding it to increase their HP? They want it to be reliable and take a certain abuse. Please try to have a off record lunch with some of their engineers if you could and talk about what they designed it for.
This is why I said I would like to know how many tranny will be broken for all the Subaru sold in the US vs all the broken tranny in every other country, then a detailed comparison for each model(Outback, WRX, etc). I'm curious.
The mechanic at the dealership in town told me they never had that many tranny problems before on Subaru up until the WRX came out. I read posts of kids arguing "their old Camaros would last and that stupid WRX is weak" now they broke the tranny. Why? The stress and energy involved has to be dissipated somewhere. Apprently to some of those people, Subaru should fix that problem. I don't have a PhD in Physics but I know better.
.(by the way, soon enough we will hear non Subaru owner saying "I have a friend who heard more and more Subarus have transmission problems"... and there goes Subaru's reputation... would it be justified?)

What are we going to talk about next? Kids suing fast food places because they are fat? Thank you.

Ooook, what were we talking about? Oh yes, "Stupid Kids", that somehow evolved into a conversation about Camaro's and Fast food. The only point I made was kids have always beat up their cars and raced illegally. You admitted yourself, you probably would have too if you had a WRX at 18.

All that other stuff, Ok. The car was NOT designed for drag racing or illegal anything, but as far as I know no import is designed for drag. That doesn't stop the masses from doing it anyway.

I've never once clutch dropped my car, and only actually been in 2 races. I don't want to break my tranny any more than the next guy. Lighten up. Just stickin up for the little guys.:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
cobra117 said:

Ooook, what were we talking about? Oh yes, "Stupid Kids", that somehow evolved into a conversation about Camaro's and Fast food. The only point I made was kids have always beat up their cars and raced illegally. You admitted yourself, you probably would have too if you had a WRX at 18.

All that other stuff, Ok. The car was NOT designed for drag racing or illegal anything, but as far as I know no import is designed for drag. That doesn't stop the masses from doing it anyway.

I've never once clutch dropped my car, and only actually been in 2 races. I don't want to break my tranny any more than the next guy. Lighten up. Just stickin up for the little guys.:D
I honestly can't say I wouldn't have drag raced my car if I was 18. I can't say no because I don't know. All I know is that I used to watch and go see some WRC stages back home and would also watched movies, documentaries about the US and drag racing with my friends and we thought that was annoying and boring. And yes, we caught ourselves trying a couple of times and still didn't get why it was "cool"... :D Different culture I guess.

I dropped my clutch once, made me sick in my stomach and was driving my car at 35mph up until I got home. Just wanted to see how the car would behave and never ever tried a very hard launch before.

I agree a little bit(french sarcasm... sorry) with you about the import cars. But then again, a BMW is an import car. A Porsche, Diablo, etc are import cars. Still not design to take the abuse of drag racing? I would think some guys would argue some more with you on that one.
I think based on what you said, I would agree on this: there is no "testosteroned" lower end(under $25K) car with power and that could be modified to some outrageous HP numbers WITH AN AWD system except for the WRX. A "new type of car"(AWD) for a crowd who likes to drag race and can NOW afford it. I feel sorry for Subaru in the long term. Many people already start to "harass" them to get their car fixed under warranty after breaking their tranny because they abused it or can't drive stick. But hey, they wanted to release the WRX and make money. I'm just worried about how much the customer-dealership relationship will suffer from all these abuse cases on WRXs.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Seeing that I've only had my car for 7 months and already have 14,000 miles, I'm hoping that it'll last me anywhere from 150,000 - 200,000 miles. The experatin date on my past two cars have been about 5 yrs. That'll probably continue to be the trend for me.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
schischwein said:

One of the best points about North American "performance drivers".....

What's all this talk about the WRX being the top of the line model? I understand that many people only got interested into Subaru because of the Impreza WRX(and into rally because of it as well)...but do you guys not know of Legacies and Outbacks? Or about the H6 equipped cars?
Re-read my post. I meant top of the line Impreza. A loaded H6 VDC is 10 grand more. Unlike 90% of the people on this board, most people don't have cash just sitting around to dump into a car. They have to stick with a price range. Some people like small cars too. So the Impreza is a good choice, and they go to the showroom to look at them and the RS/TS is cool and so is the Outback Sport, but they're not going off-road and the WRX has the powerful motor and all the options so they buy it. These people aren't buying it to build a monster dragster out of it. They're buying it 'cause its the right car for their budget.

I know that it's hard for most of the country to relate. Subaru's profile here in Colorado is completely different from most of the rest of the country. Subarus are some of the most common cars on the road. You certainly see as many of them as Toyotas (not counting trucks - there's millions of Toyota trucks around here) and not too far behind Honda and the "Big 3". You see a lot of really ancient models too. Early '80s wagons, XTs, tons of GL-10s and quite a few old Brats with the bodies half rusted away but still hauling a load! People here buy Subarus 'cause they know they're a great dependable, long lasting car that has few peers in the snow.

The grocery store is a 10 minute WALK from my house. About a 3 minute drive. I have no idea how many Subarus I'll see there and back on a typical day, but I will see at LEAST 5 NEW AGE Imprezas, and at least 2, probably more, will be WRXs. Yes, I do live about 10 minutes from Bandimere Speedway, but I can assure you that those cars I see are not dragsters. And usually not driven by kids either. Just regular folk like me, running their errands in their average priced car (and secretly packing a can of whoop-a$$ just in case ;) ).

Chris

P.S. Just to chime in, I was bored with drag racing about a month after I got my license. I've always lived at the top of, at the base of, or in the middle of a canyon. Most of my friends too. When you have 40 sweepers, 5 hairpins and a bunch of assorted S-bends rising and falling like a roller coaster to get to the store or your buddy's house, accelerating in a straight line just isn't much of a thrill.

·
Registered
84 Posts
about the post of kid sueing fast food restaurants for getting fat.. well in NJ, i think there was in the news paper of parents sueing like mcdonalds or BK cause their kids are getting obese. LOL:D

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
djrez4 said:
Chris....can I live in your basement? :D
Sure, it's got a bathroom and kitchenette and everything. ;)

Actually right now I'm as far away from that stuff as I've ever lived. The nearest canyon (Bear Creek) is a 10 minute drive! :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey Colorado guys!

Please open a thread in Off-Topic about your State and the area where you live. I love to travel and heard good things about Colorado in the past. I would like to drive my WRX all the way to Colorado someday. Things to do? Best place to stay for not too much? Etc.

Sorry, Carnutsx2 for posting that message right here. Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think they will last long...

I have an outback (legacy) Wagon 1996 and I just turned 150,000 miles. I have had NO major problems and it is outside and starts every time. I expect to get at least 300,000 miles before it dies!

Very happy with Subaru. My WRX hopefully will last just as long!

:D :D

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
ticrab said:
Hey Colorado guys!

Please open a thread in Off-Topic about your State and the area where you live. I love to travel and heard good things about Colorado in the past. I would like to drive my WRX all the way to Colorado someday. Things to do? Best place to stay for not too much? Etc.
Don't you ever scroll down on the main Forums page? ;) Try the Rocky Mountain regional forum. Already some threads like you're looking for and we're happy to answer questions. (Colorado sux, avoid it at all costs. Denver is under 20 ft of snow and the ski areas have none. Stay away. ;) )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts