Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I'm hoping to get a car within the next month (I really want a WRX, though the RSX-S, or maybe a GTI 1.8T are secondary choices). My mom just got off the phone with the insurance agent.. they quoted us $300 a month for an '05 WRX :whoa: (that's what the rate would drop to when I turn 17 in February). The rate was $334 a month for right now (16). Am I the only one who thinks thats -way- too high? The GTI was $295. She also got a quote for the RSX; it was $328 a month at age 16 (probably ~$300 also when I turn 17, didn't check). I thought that was way too much to begin with, but when she told me that was for the NON type-s, I did a double-take :eek3:. A friend of mine (16) just got an 04 RSX, non-type-s a few months ago, and he's paying $250 a month.

I've never been in an accident, never gotten a ticket, and those rates were with the good student discount, and the discount from their "steer clear" safety program (this is through State Farm). My mom said that she checked with other providers, and all of the rates were higher. I seriously think she's getting ripped off, but she doesn't want to switch providers, because both of my parents are grandfathered in to State Farm's guaranteed renewability program, which they stopped a few years ago, and they don't want to lose that. When I told my friends that my brother's insurance costs 220 a month for his '99 4-cylinder jetta, they hardly believed me (he's 18). I know we're paying too much. One of my friends has a G35 coupe, and I know that HE doesn't even pay $330 a month.

So, what gives? Anybody have any ideas? If you don't mind sharing, what does everyone else pay for insurance? (It'd be helpful if people around my age posted). I live in Tampa, and I know that insurance rates are pretty high here (really high auto theft rates, and accident rates); in fact, my family's insurance nearly doubled when we moved here from Minnesota, but this is just hard to believe. Why do so many asshats have to wreck their WRXes? :sadwave:

Edit: By the way, IIRC all of those rates were with the maximum deductible as allowed by the state.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I'm 19 and paying around $3200 a year for insurance. I hate being a statistic in New York State :sadwave:

I was also quoted about 7 grand for an STi and 6600 for an Evo :eek3:

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
According to my agent, it's the turbo that makes the rates so high. They actually said "Isn't the WRX a race car"?

I'm paying about $360 more a year for my 2004 WRX than a 2004 350Z I got a quote for. The Z has a higher top speed (156), very poor side / rearward visibility, RWD and cost about $6K more. I pointed all this out ... didn't matter. It's the turbo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, if that's true, insurance companies are pretty stupid :confused1. Shouldn't they look at things like power rating? I hate that concept that "oh wow, it has a turbocharger, so it must be FASTAR than everything else!" I don't think they can assume most people would mod them, so, what gives? I don't know if State Farm is different or what, but I heard they only look at accident history for that car, and the price of the car. Maybe thats why the RSX was as high as the WRX? Oh, and a 1.8T A4 was far cheaper to insure than either the WRX or RSX, and likewise cheaper than a 1.8T GTI :confused1. Come on, lighter car with the same engine... idiots.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
slothy2020 said:
wow, seeing what you all pay im glad im old :wiggles: I pay around 1200 a year full coverage for a 04' WRX
I'm paying $1400 in the Philadelphia suburbs. Spotless driving record for many years (I'm nowhere near 17). I actually shopped around a lot and did best with my longtime insurance company. The Z would have been about $1040. My former 2000 Prelude was just under $1000.

Turbo = rape.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'm 33......pay just under 1k a year for full coverage.....on a 04 wrx sedan

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Im 21 and pay 3800 for a year. 1 speeding ticket 2 1/2 years ago. 0 accidents

·
Registered
441 Posts
My rates with State Farm just went up due to the theft and vandalism reports on the WRX. Suxors... :thumbdown

·
Registered
717 Posts
36 and my insurance with St. Farm is ~$900/yr. About ~$100/yr more than what I paid for the '95 Eclipse Turbo I got rid of. Ironically, my wife just bought a new Mazda 3s and her insurance is not much lower than mine...and I have several speeding tickets while she is unscathed.
Go figure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm 34, married, and pay $190/month for all three cars (see sig), the house, and a million dollar umbrella policy. All though State Farm. Auto policy has 250/500 coverage with $100 deductible (comp) and $250 deductible (collision).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm 22 and pay 2400 a year with 500/500 deductables... Am switching in like 4 months from Progressive to the American Express Insurance Company... Anybody that's got an amex card, check em out. No clue why, but my rate with them is something like 60% of what I'm paying progressive with way better coverages and 250/250 deductables and all the insurance bells and whistles. I had the people go back and double/triple check the numbers and they were like "that's what you'd pay...really!"

So for those of you who ever questioned how expensive an Amex card is, this one tipped the scales for me. -- Also, you can pay the bill with the card (if you pay your CC bills ;) ) and you'll get points for it too. I know a point is about a penny on the dollar, but still, it's 1% back I wouldn't get by paying with a check.

Came from Geico...what a great car insurance company when I was driving beaters, as soon as I wanted comp or coll. they wanted nothing to do with me.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
NYC sucks for insurance, I am 24 and paying 7500/ year. I have 1 ticket from when i used to go to school upstate (upstate cops are harsh), and 1 accident thanks to this 16 year old kid w/ his mommy and daddy's mercedes whom I gave a little tap to in traffic w/ no damage on either car. :thumbdown It really was that "accident" that killed me. In shopping around, I was quoted 7500 - 10k a year for insurance :unhappy: My only saving grace is that it will be hopefully reduced when I turn 25 this year.

~myke

·
Registered
3 Posts
i was paying 550 a month for a 8 year old honda civic. i was 19 with 5 speeding tickets over the previous 3 years.

now all my tickets have been cleared because they are older than 3 years and i haven't recieved any new tickets. i wonder what i would be paying at 22 years old for a 2002 wrx...... hmm

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I'm 38, currently paying $38 a month for liability, collision, and comprehensive on an '02 WRX. $500 deductible.

Of course, since my wife was kind enough to total our van last week, and be at fault, this is probably about to change. :(

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I'm 23 and pay $900/year for the full coverage on 2002 WRX Sedan. Guess my insurance doesn't care for speeding tix, but i have clean record and no accidents.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.