Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It should be duly noted that the WRX is a pleasure in the rain.

I got mine back, 100% mechanically, 80% cosmetic now. So, it being up to snuff under the wrinkled exterior I had some fun on the backroads IN THE RAIN.

After 3 weeks of being subjected to the GMC Jimmy and it's total lack of sporty driving atributes, the modded and frankly hellishly fast WRX was a shock in and of itself.

S-03's are known to be wonderful in the rain, and the speed at which I was catching and passing folks this evening attests to that fact. Standing water is always a hazard, but if ya know the roads like I do around here, its kinda a non-issue.

Not often I find myself in a position where there is too much thrust, as I didn't wanna get enough speed to hydro on the small ponds that pass for roads when the rain really comes down. So I got to really concetrate on the particulars of apexing and rev-matching. Being smooth in the rain has its rewards(like a car thats not on its roof), you get a certain satisfaction by really movin fast, yet not upsetting the Taco Hell cup in the dubious cup-holder. In some of the areas with enough ambient light you can look in the rearview mirror and see the line ya just carved and critique yourself.

Man I missed my car. I find myself makin up excuses to myself to go and drive. I haven't touched the 6er of Guiness in my fridge(been there for days now), as I don't know when the urge to drive might strike. I want a STi now...dammit.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The Tao of Rex in The Rain

Seriously though, I would heartily agree, I just never done one of those "quote" posts. :D

Driving lesser cars, you see rain and sadly realize you're gonna slog it through the slow lane. In this car, rain means you're gonna feel accomplished after your drive.

Especially true about how you have to elevate your attention to detail when shifting and when making (constant) steering adjustments.

-tp

ps: keep ya Jimmy handy next time you think the WRX is getting teh slow. :D
pps: take a night off and get on those Guinnessezezzzz!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I always liked driving in the snow in my car. Heel Toe/Revmatching is "satisfying" in the dry, but when your traction actually depends on it, its a whole 'nother story.

"In some of the areas with enough ambient light you can look in the rearview mirror and see the line ya just carved and critique yourself"
For whatever reason I really like that quote :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
For some reason i actually prefer mine in the dry, i feel i can get better drifts. Hum maybe its just me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I love playing Solberg in the rain. The car is perfect for it. I swear I can do 0-60 faster in the rain because you get a little bit of slip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: The Tao of Rex in The Rain

Teep said:
Driving lesser cars, you see rain and sadly realize you're gonna slog it through the slow lane.
I can vouch for that. Although it can sometimes be fun when I'm not driving far, my Z is hell if I am trying to take it for a good distance. I have to take turns ever so slowly so I don't shoot my back end out (has happened 3-4 times, luckily with no accidents.) In a closed parking lot = fun. Anywhere else = where's my rex?

Alex

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad you all like the Imprezas.

Just thought I should point out that it makes no difference what so ever when going straight. 4WD does NOTHING. It does not give more grip when cornering, or braking. It allows for more power without wheelspin when cornering, and faster accelleration from very very slow speeds.

All it is, is the vehicle weight versus what types of tires you have on (type of rubber, thread, depth of thread, and dimensions). Slow lane? NO difference.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Mikko said:
Glad you all like the Imprezas.

Just thought I should point out that it makes no difference what so ever when going straight. 4WD does NOTHING. It does not give more grip when cornering, or braking. It allows for more power without wheelspin when cornering, and faster accelleration from very very slow speeds.

All it is, is the vehicle weight versus what types of tires you have on (type of rubber, thread, depth of thread, and dimensions). Slow lane? NO difference.
If I can go faster and harder through a corner and worry less about my car trying to do pirouettes on the road, then my car is gripping better than a 2wd drive car. The way I look at it, while you are correct that in terms of the physics the tires are not gripping any better (read, awd doesn't effect the coefficient of friction of the tires to the road, which is ultimately what grip is), awd does spread the loss of friction from applying power to all 4 wheels instead of just 2. This translates not into more grip, but smaller loss of grip for each tire under any given power application.

As far as a straight line, if one of the drive tires hits a patch of standing water and loses grip in a 2wd drive car, the car can start sliding sideways and rotate... in an AWD car, if one tire hits a puddle of water, the other three tires can actually pull the car straight if it starts to go any direction but straight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No matter the drive-tires, the other three tires are still there, gripping. Nothing much is bound to happen. Maybe under heavy acceleration :)

Of course 4WD is better, but not by much, mainly on twisty roads and with an aboundance of power that needs to get to the ground.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I was definitely thinking about under acceleration. Just cruising, you're right, the awd doesn't make any difference. One of my friends explained it this way to his girl when she didn't understand: AWD transfers power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip, right? Well, if you're not really giving it any gas, then there's no power to transfer! I thought it made sense!

·
Registered
47 Posts
AWD transfers power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip, right? Well, if you're not really giving it any gas, then there's no power to transfer! I thought it made sense!
lol, yes. One must have a limited slip differential for that, however, and the viscousity type on the WRX is probably not quick enough to reaction to tiny puddles that are quickly traveled over.

Many people think that limited slip differentials actually transfers ALL power to the tires with grip, so that no power is ever lost to wheelspin. I used to think so too, as the subaru mumbojumbo on their page explained it like that a few years ago on their homepage. In reality, it can only minimize the negative effects of differentials (limiting the tendency for a diff to send the power to the path with least resistance - can never lock up to more than 50/50).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Now you're getting into technicalities:p You're right though

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Take an 03 cobra and a sti etc and put them on a straight road when its raining. Tell then to slowly accel to 2nd gear then punch it, guess whos tires are going to spin:D . And ive actually done this before, but it was an older cobra, he punched it and the back end went sideways.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts