ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone drive a WRX on P Plates without getting an exemption from VicRoads? If so have you ever been caught recently? and whats the consequences?
Im asking this because im about to buy a car and i want to buy the Impreza WRX. Im sure they wont just give me an excemption..

The Member
4,146 Posts
Hey there, this is mainly a North American forum. I don't know if you will find many Aussies here who could help with this question.

However, I did just recently watch a video from a channel called PPlatermods where they got an exemption for a 1993 Skyline. Maybe getting one for a WRX wouldn't be that tough.

Hope this helped...

The Maestro
153 Posts
i'm guessing it means personalized plates, but not totally certain.

Premium Member
179 Posts
Oh the power of Google! -> for us 'Mericans that is, here is some info I believe he's asking about.

L-plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Newly licensed drivers
Main article: Driver's licence in Australia

In Australia the rules vary from state to state. A new driver holds a Learner licence/permit which has a minimum age of 16. This must then be held for a certain amount of time before a driving examination can be undertaken usually 12 months later.[1] After passing the driver must display 'P' plates. Holders of a provisional/probationary licence may be restricted compared to fully licensed drivers in speed, blood alcohol limits, limits on the type and power of their car's engine (i.e., no more than 6 cylinders, no forced induction), and number of demerit points that can be deducted.[2] VicRoads, the Victorian road authority, publish information for learner drivers on the L-Site.[3]

Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) first commenced in Australia in the mid 1960s with New South Wales introducing learner and provisional licences in 1966. In all states, newly licensed drivers are required by law to display P-plates for varying lengths of time. The P is usually a red or green letter on a white background or a white letter on a red or green background (Victoria & Western Australia only). In New South Wales and Victoria there are two classes of provisional licence, red P-plates are for the first year after passing the Learner test and then after passing a computerised test they are green for two to three years. Western Australia requires six months of red P-plates, where provisional drivers are under a 12 am – 5 am curfew, and one and a half years of green P-plates.

On 1 July 2000, New South Wales introduced a three stage Graduated Licensing Scheme (GLS)

Stage one is a learner licence with the requirement to complete 50 hours of supervised driving (increased to 120 hours 1 July 2007).
Stage two is a one year P1 probationary licence (with red P plates).
Stage three is a three year P2 probationary licence (with green P plates).

On 1 July 2010, Victoria introduced the Graduated Licensing Systems (GLS).[4]

Stage one is a one year P1 probationary licence (with red P plates).
Stage two is a three year P2 probationary licence (with green P plates).
P1 drivers are prohibited from using a mobile phone of any kind.
P1 drivers are banned from towing, except for work or when supervised.
P1 drivers can carry no more than one passenger aged between 16 years of age and less than 22 years, unless the passengers are immediate family members.
A good driving record will be necessary to progress to the next licence stage.

As of July 2007, newly issued Queensland drivers licences have new restrictions for those under 25. Learners must first log 100 hours of driving experience (of which 10 must be undertaken at night) before taking their practical driving examination. Learners can boost this experience by taking professional lessons which counts for 3 times the hours, for up to 10 hours (or 30 logbook hours.) After a period of one year provisional drivers must then pass a hazard-perception test to move from red to green P-Plates where previously only a 3 year duration was required. New restrictions also prevent any under-25, Queensland provisional licence-holder from carrying more than one passenger under the age of 21, who is not an immediate family member, between the hours of 11pm and 5am.[5]
Speed limits

L-platers and the Red and Green P-platers are restricted in some states to a maximum speed of 80(NSW)/110 depending on if you are with an instructor 100 km/h is allowed in certain states and territories, and these values are shown on the respective plates. In Queensland, the ACT and Victoria, there is not restrictions to speed other than the speed limits on the road.

In NSW you need to complete a minimum 120 driving experience hours. The 120 hour minimum driving experience requirement remains the same for all Learner drivers - if you are under 25 years old, you will still need to hold your L-Licence for at least 12 months before attempting to take the Driving Test.

Additionally, learner drivers who are 25 and over are now exempt from completing the Learner driver log-book and any tenure requirement, as of 19 December 2009. They are still required to complete all other formal licensing requirements and are encouraged to use the log book and obtain as much on-road practice with a supervising driver or driving instructor as possible.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts