ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 wrx and I keep wondering how much power can a wrx take before parts star to fail? I was watching a lot of vidsof cobb tunes and they show 300 whp on a wrx. Is there any problems with going higher? fuel system, turbo output, engine internals, trans/clutch problems? Im looking to have the most amount of wheel hp without having to upgrade turbo or intercooler or fuel. like 300-350 whp would be nice. any one have any comments ?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
There is no magic number. Some cars are fine at 350whp, some blow up stock.

·
Registered
902 Posts
There is no magic number. Some cars are fine at 350whp, some blow up stock.
This.

It all depends on how you treat your car. If you abuse it bad enough parts will fail with the stock hp.

Not upgrading your intercooler leaves you at the "stage 2" level which consist of a turbo back exhaust and tune of some sort (Cobb AP is very common) This would put you roughly at 265whp depending on the tune.

After that you can add an intercooler, ebcs, intake if you prefer, and have the car professionally tuned. This would get you very close or at 300whp.

The only way your going to hit 350whp on the stock turbo would be on E85 fuel with a fuel pump and injectors. Even then I'm not sure if it that's enough. On pump gas your into a 20g turbo for 350whp.

·
Banned
664 Posts
EJ said it. i personally believe its all in the tune. the stock tune is 100% pure garbage and stock motors can blow easy. aftermarket tunes can blow too but some tuners just tune more aggressive and bad results can happen.

HP limit depends on the dyno. one could show 400 being ok and one can show 350. you take the 350 dyno and try for 400 and BOOM. some have shown a little over 400 on the stock motor if that means anything. but since your asking about the stock turbo, IC, and fuel than forget any real power. you'll be lucky to break 300 unless you upgrade. your biggest set back right now is the IC since plastic end tanks are not great for higher boost or a plastic BPV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
synolimit how did you have 330 hp? what did u do to your 2011 wrx? and Im asking what could the parts technically handle? like when would they brake and what would brake?

·
Banned
664 Posts
330/360 was made on a average to slightly low reading dynojet with 21psi tapering to 15.5psi which of course where the 330hp came from. Timing was 21 degrees and stock injectors were 94%. Parts were, ewg, cat less dp, CBE, 255 pump, CAI, FMIC, blow through, bov, light weight pulley, cooler plugs, and 3-port.

With a proper tune id say the ic and bpv are good for 18psi. Fuel system depends on parts but they won't break, just max out. Same with turbo. It could "break" at 23+psi but motor will be unhappy first so I doubt you could get there. Motor again is good for 350-400 depending on dyno and pistons will break first. Rods next but I'd guess 450+ before that happens. Last, tranny has been good for around 400tq. No one has really gone to much beyond that so who knows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts